Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 16, 2019 5:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: I found out why radio tubes are a restricted item!
PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 12:34 am 

That is my point ...... getting together and setup a class action suit and fight global shipping for doing this.......

It is not fair that they set the rules without doing proper research into what they are restricting and in some cases relisting them ( the items confiscated ) to put on e-bay for auction again........

We have to let others know and stand up for our rights .......

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 1:59 am 

Reminds me of the problem with getting light bulbs for the testing during top secret radar development. Someone decided the installation had received all the light bulbs they were allowed. They fixed the problem by ordering "luminous resistors".

Also had a problem while I was testing radios in the Army. All we were allowed for D cells were the ones for the sentries' flashlights. Solved the problem by ordering ni-cads which were not in the normal military supply. We threw them away after one use. Another waste of money due to government stupidity.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 3:20 am 

OldWireBender wrote:
Rudedaddy wrote:
The rejected items get destroyed...

So, how do they destroy all of those evil mercury-containing vacuum tubes? I'll bet the brainiacs smash them and pitch the remains into a landfill. Yep, that'll fix it ... :twisted:
John

This as they guzzle down their fluoridated water...... :roll:

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 3:28 am 

I may not have the facts correct but many years ago someone was buying tubes then suing because they shipped tubes that had mercury in them...i think this is what happen to action electronics which they closed.this was done to others and tried to sue ebay..
So ebay is gun shy...okay lawyer shy....

People are sue happy...

Dremel quit selling a metal wood blade cause a kit cut off his finger and Dremel was sued.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 3:33 am 

Goodwill on there online site had a tube caddy for sell...
I inquired if there was any tubes .they told me no. Someone told them that they may contain mercury, and someone else offer to take them ..
I need to offer that service.
Have a good new years

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 2:44 pm 

You know there is an upside to this..... if an item is as they say RESTRICTED and stopped ....... the seller gets paid , I get paid ... ebay looses ?..... I am not sure if the seller gets his money.....
So I have tried again bidding on good tubes this time , auction site had no restrictions to Canada.....So I will see in a week or so........

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 3:43 pm 

I didn't think that EBay destroyed the tubes. I had always been under the assumption that they just resold them within the United States.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 4:16 pm 

I have an e-mail sent to me from them that these tubes do not go back to the sender .....DESTROYED ....what a shame... I am trying to upload a picture of the e mail it says it is too large...

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 4:47 pm 

Check US post Office regulations before shipping anything containing mercury. I think they allow up 10 items, up to 0.5 gram total mercury, marked on the outside. No international.

I have never wanted to use eBay Global Shipping, and have one more reason not to... if eBay reimburses buyer and seller, what if someone ships a pallet of WE 300Bs? Last I heard they were $1500 a pair.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 5:32 pm 

There's more with eBay confiscating things that meets the eye. Sure the seller gets his money, the buyer gets a refund, eBay sells
the stuff to the guy who uses your pics and description, 1 or 2 of them seem to exist. Hard to believe any insurance would cover this
activity for long. So what's the gig? There has to be a way eBay is MAKING money on this, warehousing and all that is not cheap.
The real problem is they are ripping off buyers who wanted something and for no reason it gets stopped confiscated and resold to
another seller, all intact, with a return address even. It was never "lost", just surrendered to eBay.
Yep, people can get an attorney and file singly or class action, the lawyer will get 80%, everyone else gets pennies.
Problem is, they aren't doing any illegal, so it becomes an issue that can't be enforced.

Just don't' use eBay global shipping is the answer. The USPS, UPS and FedEx all deliver overseas, just go to their stores and ship,
or arrange a pickup directly.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 5:42 pm 

Your right ...... I will try not to use e-bay Global Shipping for anything ........a complete rip off .... extra money charges and now this happenning......
I also sent a note off to radiomuseum.com on what is happenning here.....I just hope we can band together and do something about this............ big companies should not take advantage of us common folk....

Edited to remove political comment

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 6:21 pm 

Maybe I have a bad attitude, but I'm automatically suspicious of anything with the word "Global" in the title - almost translates to "con" or "extortion" with me. I believe I read somewhere that those who sell internationally (even US to Canada or vice versa) through ebay are forced to go through this program now. It seems like a good racket to confiscate things and sell them on the side. If they are destroying everything they confiscate and having to reimburse all parties, it doesn't seem like a good way to stay in business very long. Most of the items sold on ebay could be declared as "hazardous" in one way or another.

The more absurd ebay gets with their rules, the more I think there will be something come along to replace it in the future. Look at all of the other great companies in the past that met their downfall through a combination of poor management decisions, greed, and refusal to adapt to changes in the market. They need to take a lesson from Radio Shack. Drive away a large chunk of your core customer base and you aren't going to be around much longer.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 6:42 pm 

Your so right ....... they have a monopoly ..... dictating the strict rules...... you know they just classified old radio tubes as hazardous as of Dec 22 / 2017......... I had no problem before that......

Your so right that a lot of stuff sold on e-bay can be classified as hazardous
in one way or another....
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING WHAT WE DO AND THINK , MORE SO NOW THAN IN THE PAST...

x files ... do you believe......

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 6:47 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Rudedaddy wrote:
I also sent a note off to radiomuseum.com on what is happenning here.....I just hope we can band together and do something about this............ big companies should not take advantage of us common folk....

Sheesh man ... save your emotion and energy for something that matters. There are lots of tube sellers out there and just because eBay has it doesn't mean that you have to buy it there. We old radio collectors aren't even a 1/10'th of 1/10'th of a percent of eBay's business. They couldn't care less about anybody "banding together" and the people at Radiomuseum are situated in Europe and they don;t care either. They have as many tubes stocked up in Europe as there are in North America. Why would they worry?

This is all a big commotion over very little.

And ... big brother? globalism? This isn't news. The global economy has been happening for centuries. It just happens faster now.

Go live your life and enjoy it. Worry about things that count.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 7:14 pm 

I have not got a lot of responses from a lot of collectors that have dud blue or clear tubes that want to sell ...... I don't want to use good working tubes , it will be a waste of good tubes , for display.....

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 7:43 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Rudedaddy wrote:
I have not got a lot of responses from a lot of collectors that have dud blue or clear tubes that want to sell

Try offering some real money. A buck doesn't even buy a cup of coffee these days.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 7:59 pm 

You mean up to $5.00 ?...... I have with the exchange 30% on top of that.......I might as well try for good working tubes and destroy them........to non functioning display .....

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 9:56 pm 

This discussion reminded me of two things. First, a few years ago I saw an ebay listing for, if I remember correctly, an old "medical" preparation for radioactive suppositories. Second, a description of deForest Audions that said it didn't make much difference if you got ahold of a new or burned out tube, because the one quickly morphed into the other.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 10:03 pm 

Well your right ...... change is what life is all about .....evolve with changes of get left behind......ha,ha

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 3:39 am 

glue_ru wrote:
There's more with eBay confiscating things that meets the eye. Sure the seller gets his money, the buyer gets a refund, eBay sells
the stuff to the guy who uses your pics and description, 1 or 2 of them seem to exist. Hard to believe any insurance would cover this
activity for long. So what's the gig? There has to be a way eBay is MAKING money on this, warehousing and all that is not cheap.
The real problem is they are ripping off buyers who wanted something and for no reason it gets stopped confiscated and resold to
another seller, all intact, with a return address even. It was never "lost", just surrendered to eBay.

Yep, people can get an attorney and file singly or class action, the lawyer will get 80%, everyone else gets pennies.
Problem is, they aren't doing any illegal, so it becomes an issue that can't be enforced.

Just don't' use eBay global shipping is the answer. The USPS, UPS and FedEx all deliver overseas, just go to their stores and ship,
or arrange a pickup directly.

Barely legal, but that's the way the eBay/GSP/PB maffia-team works: Of course the seized items are not destroyed but re-sold to a third party who re-list them on eBay (without international shipping option of course) AT THE CLOSING BID PRICE AND RE-USING THE ORIGINAL SELLER's PICTURES !
And now some sellers are surprised seeing their "lost" items re-listed by another seller, like in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=331717&start=40

You didn't expected eBay LOOSING some money in the process, didn't you ?

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next