Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Wed 17, 2019 4:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: I found out why radio tubes are a restricted item!
PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 4:19 am 

How about watermarking your auction pictures?
Attachment:
15GCB-1583_Frt-4_Small_wm.jpg
15GCB-1583_Frt-4_Small_wm.jpg [ 92 KiB | Viewed 990 times ]

You could also add, "All rights reserved." Any use as in reusing your picture, would then CLEARLY be copyright infringement.

However, I suppose E-Bay has a rule against protecting your intellectual property, right? But wouldn't it be illegal to prevent you from placing your item so marked for auction on their site as in unfair restraint of trade?
John

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 4:55 am 

If I CAN QUOTE THIS IS THE E-MAIL FROM PITNEY BOWES......

Dear Frank, Thank you for contacting Pitney Bowes.

I have looked into your query and confirm that the item was restricted for delivery. It was reviewed by the Dangerous Goods Approved representative and was found the parcel contains amp tube(s) possibly manufactured pre-70s.In that eara most lamps & tubes had mercury reflectors. Detailed specs not available. In absence of clear data ruling out the risk , item has been rated UN3506 , Mercury contained in manufactured article. Class 8 , Corrosive & Toxic. Restricted to all countries on our system. This item cannot be shipped forward , nor returned to seller , as we cannot transport a restricted item.
It is the responsibility of the seller to be familiar with the allowed programme restrictions. These are readily available on the eBay website, please see the below link for more information.
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/shipping-globally.html
By choosing to ship the item with Global Shipping Program, the seller agrees to certain terms and conditions of the program , one of which is that when a restricted item is received at the shipping hub and becomes property of the program after the buyer and seller have made financially whole.
I am very sorry we have not been able to forward your item . I hope this information was useful. We thank you again for contacting Pitney Bowes.

Thank you ....Devender Baghel ... customer service representative

SO THIS IS THE E-MAIL IN IT'S ENTIRETY .... WHAT DO YOU THINK ?

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 5:00 am 

YOU KNOW GUYS THAT YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO SELL YOUR PRE 70S TUBES INTERNATIONALLY ANY MORE.....ACCORDING TO PITNEY BOWES......

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 6:13 am 

Rudedaddy wrote:
YOU KNOW GUYS THAT YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO SELL YOUR PRE 70S TUBES INTERNATIONALLY ANY MORE.....ACCORDING TO PITNEY BOWES......

... or anything (pre-70ies ?) containing electron tubes, which includes: antique radios & televisions, ham gear, vintage Hi-Fi, test equipment, guitar amps and almost any vintage electronic collectibles.

And BTW, anybody knows what's a "mercury reflector" used in all electron tubes up to 1969 ?

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 6:33 am 

This idiocy applies to almost anything made before the 21st Century. Before long, these clowns won't ship anything because it's "hazardous".

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 7:14 am 

Hello guys
we better lock up our radios before the goon squad takes them away because they are hazardous to our health

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 12:30 pm 

You see , we have to do something about this ......our hobbies and livelihoods are at stake here..... Do you not agree ?

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 12:54 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Rudedaddy wrote:
You see , we have to do something about this ......our hobbies and livelihoods are at stake here..... Do you not agree ?

No, this is just an emotional reaction to not receiving an item that you wanted. Buy them elsewhere.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 3:04 pm 

Thanks for your support .... I will be consulting with a lawyer and the media.....

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 5:04 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
Rudedaddy wrote:

No, this is just an emotional reaction to not receiving an item that you wanted. Buy them elsewhere.

As far as I am concerned, being a european collector of vintage U.S radios and electronic gear, there is no "elsewhere" for buying these items, except a few professional dealers willing to ship abroad at very high prices and with limited choice. The problem is that about 90% of the U.S eBay sellers have now opted (or have been forced) for the GSP program and it is increasingly difficult to find sellers using the older shipping options like USPS, etc...
After 3 items I bought recently seized by P-B and undelivered I was so frustrated that I decided to stop buying on eBay once and for all.
You may call me emotional...

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 6:07 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Tubologic wrote:
You may call me emotional...

I feel for you, but it wasn't you complaining. It was someone who lives in Toronto Canada, with plenty of places to buy from.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 6:22 pm 

And the problem is that if this practice is expanded to the major shippers such as US Post Office, UPS and FedEx, which is certain to happen eventually, we will be unable to sell our radios or tubes anywhere except in person at a radio show or privately, since shipping will no longer be possible.

That's why it needs to be clarified and stopped now. Seizure of hazardous items or items wrongly considered to be hazardous due to ignorance of those making the rules is not impossible in the future since it's already happening on a regular basis via eBay and their associates. Wouldn't take much for a regulatory agency to take the next step and make a total ban on transporting such items even privately.

Unfortunately, approaching this in the wrong manner, dealing with the wrong people or agency, or having the approach made by the wrong people could easily result in making the situation worse rather than better.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 6:46 pm 

Your right ........ so ? what is the next step ..... I have been trying to open a few people's eyes to this exact problem.....

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 7:03 pm 

See ..... I am not the only one ......
Someone else had his items restricted and ceased .....I sympathise with you.... good items being destroyed and lost for all time , never to be made again.....
It will happen to us all in time......and as you said , the radio tubes are only available from the USA.... E-bay is forcing it's sellers to use the GLOBAL SHIPPING PITNEY BOWES FOR INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING ........SOON no fair auction prices .....everything is on the fix...... SOME ITEMS I HEARD WERE RELISTED , WHAT IS THAT ?....

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 7:08 pm 

The USPS still allows Mercury, so I don't think we have anything to worry about for a while as far as shipping goes. The issue here is that Ebay/PB actually takes possession of the item, so Govt' restrictions are a moot point. FedEx and UPS both routinely handle hazardous materials, so even if some uneducated genius classifies tubes as hazardous at the USPS, I think we'll still be just fine.

I wonder why EBay still allows tubes to be bought under the GSP if they just wind up eating the cost...

Now for you Canadian and European guys, you'll likely just have to find a trusted member on here to act as a forwarding service. It's a hassle for no good reason, but at least you can still find what you need.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 7:27 pm 

Rudedaddy wrote:
Your right ........ so ? what is the next step ..... I have been trying to open a few people's eyes to this exact problem.....

Maybe the first step would be to get more (legal) details about the export policies regulating the shipping of (prohibited) potentially hazardous materials and what products are actually considered as such. This is a VERY complex topic as everything depends of the country you're shipping to/from and all have different regulations in this matter. Receiving tubes are still produced today and shipped all around the world and (afaik) the materials used in the manufacturing today are not basically different from what was used 50 years ago, mercury being not a part of them (except for some M.V rectifier and some industrial tubes, no longer in production). Are "receiving electron tubes" (the finished product) mentioned in any (official) export restricted items list as containing hazardous materials ? And what's about old (used) equipment or sub-assemblies containing electron tubes ? It's not eBay or Pitney Bowes who set the rules about this. Very likely a company like New Sensor (a current manufacturer/distributor of receiving tubes exporting all around the globe) should have more solid and well-documented informations about this.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 7:41 pm 

Yes .... that is if the seller on Ebay has not signed up to the GLOBAL SHIPPING service ,...most are signed up for this service , it is mandated........ E bay controls all conversations with sellers and buyers...... like big brother....
this is what I found ... nothing on radio tubes.....being restricted to Canada... for some reason the image I want to put here does not work...

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 8:30 pm 

And just for the "fun" here's a list of all the materials used by RCA in the making of their electron tubes in 1950. As you can see, mercury is listed as well as many other potentially highly toxic materials. Of course all these materials weren't used in all the types and some of them only during the manufacturing process.
Now I let the Pitney Bowes "experts" sort this out.
No doubt that electron tubes are the most toxic and hazardous items ever produced by humans.
Just don't tell them...

Attachments:
RCATUBMAT.05.jpg
RCATUBMAT.05.jpg [ 210.1 KiB | Viewed 915 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 8:52 pm 

Well RCA MADE A WIDE RANGE OF TUBES.......... This just generalizes the materials they used in the manufacturing process of industrial and domestic types... We have to refine this list to common radio tubes...
You know , the old manual thermostat used in heating controls use a mercury switch..... some are still in use today, more mercury than in a tube......I don't hear any thing banning them yet ?....

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 4:43 am 

The problem as I see it is twofold. First you're dealing with bureaucrats who have the greatest armor ever invented - The Rule Book (echo ON, thunder in the background, earth tremors). Second, the group that writes The Rule Book (ditto) who, rather than use what little lies between their ears to actually dig a little deeper in an effort to actually learn something about which they write, would rather take the easy way out, write what amounts to zero tolerance policies, collect their paychecks and go on holiday, smug in the knowledge that they've saved the world from another catastrophe.
John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next