Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Tue 07, 2020 8:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Audio isolation transformer for adding aux port to radio
PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 11:06 pm 

There have been a number of posts on using transformers back to back to make an audio isolation transformer. I found these on eBay and they looked promising. I ordered several and hooked one up between my iPhone and a tube radio. The transformer is a 10k:10k. It handled the signal level just fine. No distortion I could detect. I swapped back to direct connect and could tell no difference in sound level (measured by calibrated ear). Price is good at $3.50 each. I am planning on ordering some more to have on hand.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Signal-Transformer-10K-to-10K-1-1-Great-for-Isolation-or-Couping-New/311544540618?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Forest Gumping through life

Post subject: Re: Audio isolation transformer for adding aux port to radio
PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 4:03 am 

I've found that a 1:10 step up makes the signal stronger and you can then turn the digital device down to about 1/3 volume. Just saying, because it works 1:1 as well, and that is a good price.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 8:49 pm 

That one looks like it only provides 100V of isolation...I'm not sure that'd be a good choice, what with line voltage being 120V RMS or so. If you want to use an isolation transformer on a transformer radio, that's probably sufficient, although is also not strictly necessary in that application

I've found these are a good choice for series-string radios: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tr ... ZQsw%3d%3d

They're 20 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 1 dB, 1:1 or 2:1 ratio, and have 1500V isolation voltage. $5.39 (plus $8 shipping) for quantity 1. Would also make a good interstage transformer in some applications.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 9:11 pm 

jkoebel wrote:
That one looks like it only provides 100V of isolation...I'm not sure that'd be a good choice, what with line voltage being 120V RMS or so. If you want to use an isolation transformer on a transformer radio, that's probably sufficient, although is also not strictly necessary in that application

I've found these are a good choice for series-string radios: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Tr ... ZQsw%3d%3d

They're 20 Hz - 20 kHz +/- 1 dB, 1:1 or 2:1 ratio, and have 1500V isolation voltage. $5.39 (plus $8 shipping) for quantity 1. Would also make a good interstage transformer in some applications.

Do you suggest that because of the possible hot chassis in an AA5? Can line voltage intersect with audio signal? I've just been using phono inputs on my radios.

Thanks,
Jason

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 9:30 pm 

Yeah, mostly the possible line voltage on an AA5 if the plug is in wrong or the outlet is wired wrong.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 9:33 pm 

You need ones that are UL certified and hi-pot tested to at least 1500 or 1600 volts to be safe for use with any device that connects to AC power. Unfortunately that sort of small transformer is extremely difficult to source. It's very unsafe to use anything with a lower rating unless the radio you are connecting to has its own power transformer providing complete isolation from the AC line.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.