Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Apr Fri 03, 2020 6:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sprague Couplate Dimensions
PostPosted: Dec Sun 23, 2018 6:16 am 

Does anyone have any documentation that shows the dimensions for all of the Sprague couplates? I have the schematics, but I need the dimensions to begin making boards to copy them.

Dan

Post subject: Re: Sprague Couplate Dimensions
PostPosted: Dec Sun 23, 2018 4:41 pm 

Unless the dimensions are shown in an old Sprague full line catalog, I doubt they would have been published anywhere else.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 23, 2018 5:12 pm 

I wonder if anyone has been saving the old ones they remove as they do restorations? A picture with a scale next to it would be great. Otherwise, I will make a guess.

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 12:02 am 

Some ceramic dimensions. Lead spacing were never published!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 9&_sacat=0

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 5&_sacat=0

others: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... sacat=4660
You do realize that there were multitudes of these made by a dozen or so manufacturers.
and... also for TVs!

Greg.

search results:
https://www.google.com/search?q=couplat ... DMQQ_AUIBQ
https://www.google.com/search?q=Central ... h&tbm=isch

Edit: A list of Couplates, if you wish, can be compiled by surfing through the 1960s Beitman service manuals.
https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Beitman-Manual.htm

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 6:17 am 

The dimensions above are about the average size. They really don't have to be the exact size. They are always free standing except on PC boards where the leads need to spaced correct to fit the holes. Can just use wire leads and just bend to make it fit. Most couplates in radios a postage stamp will cover about 3/4 of it. Again can be smaller or a bit bigger. Don't seem to matter that much.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 7:06 am 

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the info. I realize there are a lot of these out there, but it is really easy to do a copy if I have the schematic and physicals. Even a picture will do if there is some size reference.
I just plan to do a few every week and within a year, I will have a big CAD library of modules. Then I can generate boards for any of them on demand. Soon I will post a few boards to get feedback to see if what I am generating is sufficient for someone to build from a board or get their own board. I plan to create a schematic, a layout, and a bill of material for each module.

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 7:34 am 

Well, for some quick and dirty information, these aren't Sprague's but I 'spect they are similar. Each one is 1-1/2 inches long by 15/16 inches high, not counting the leads extending on the bottoms.

Attachments:
couplates.jpg
couplates.jpg [ 113.5 KiB | Viewed 972 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 2:36 pm 

Thanks. Added it to my folder of pictures. Do you have the schematic for them? I don't have those in my collection of schematics yet. My data on Centralab parts is not very complete yet. I have a lot of images of Centralab parts without a corresponding schematic. I am hunting for an old manual/catalog/datasheet etc. with that information.

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 2:45 pm 

exzenith wrote:
Thanks. Added it to my folder of pictures. Do you have the schematic for them? I don't have those in my collection of schematics yet. My data on Centralab parts is not very complete yet. I have a lot of images of Centralab parts without a corresponding schematic. I am hunting for an old manual/catalog/datasheet etc. with that information.

Dan

Are you searching under all the names?

Packaged Electronic Circuit (PEC)
Bulplate
Couplate

Check all the servicing magazines over on ARH, and try any catalogs (allied, etc as well) Try also the Radio-Electronic Master guides (1949-1974 or so) published for the Radio-TV industry. Here's 1969's:

https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_u ... _218186455

33audio also has some guides, IIRC

Automatic Radio had another named couplate, I can't recall the name, but those were only used in car radios and some GE and Motorola 2-way radio stuff. AR's later couplates were blue, with an aluminum backing - all passive parts, with little documentation.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 5:23 pm 

Thanks Brian. I will work all those sources.

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 5:43 pm 

One thing you should consider before spending a lot of time working on this, is that those are among the most reliable components in vintage sets of that time frame. In the 60+ years I have worked on this stuff, most of that time as a professional technician, out of the tens of thousands of sets I have serviced I could count the number of failed couplates on my fingers......with the exception being the ones for Philco Predicta TV's which are already being reproduced and were a known high failure item when those sets were just a few years old. Otherwise, a technician having maybe 10 units cross the workbench each day would probably find one bad couplate every few years if that.

I doubt there will be ever much demand for the ones used in radios. A few people who don't understand electronics well automatically think that the couplates need to be replaced because they contain resistors and capacitors. those are often the same people who think all tubes need to be replaced automatically just because they are old. But if their sets don't show any symptoms of failure within a couplate, they would be just fine leaving the originals undisturbed and they will likely outlast all of us.

If you wanted to make something that's a high failure part, there are certain Delco auto radios which have couplate/modules containing transistors. Those haven't been available for decades but now people restoring those cars need them to make their radios functional again.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 6:21 pm 

Thanks Dennis. I was thinking the couplates had a high failure rate, but I think I got that from the Philco issue. Do you have any information on the Delco couplates?

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 6:47 pm 

The only common failure in a radio couplate is the 470K resistor that connects to the plate of 1st audio tube. Easy to just add a new resistor without having to replace the couplate.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 8:01 pm 

Sounds like I would be wasting my time creating these couplates. Failure rate is too low.

Dan

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 8:05 pm 

Actually I have had to replace (jumper) resistors on at least two Couplate's, that I can remember. Never a problem with their internal capacitors though.

We had a thread here some years back about replacing a Couplate by simply using a small PCB with discrete parts mounted to it. Of course one would need the print displaying the circuit of the Couplate.

I would have to agree that going into the manufacturing of an item -that really wasn't used for but a few years- and has a low failure rate, just doesn't seem to be the best use of one's time.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 8:07 pm 

exzenith wrote:
Thanks Dennis. I was thinking the couplates had a high failure rate, but I think I got that from the Philco issue. Do you have any information on the Delco couplates?

Dan

One of the guys who does a lot of auto radio service might be able to give you a full list of the Delco radio model numbers, or the Delco part number for the needed couplate.

A search of ARF old posts shows these are two of the radio models:
36CMW1 is in Sams AR-144
39BFW1 is in Sams AR-147

and the couplate itself is a DM-25 but they claim it was made by Sprague and no schematic of it exists.

PostPosted: Dec Mon 24, 2018 10:00 pm 

Centralab catalog with PECs (no dimensions though...) on my web site. https://bit.ly/2BEXV5y DjVu format.

PostPosted: Dec Tue 25, 2018 12:58 am 

exzenith wrote:
Sounds like I would be wasting my time creating these couplates. Failure rate is too low.

Dan

RCA Printed Electronic Circuits used in their late-60s/early 70s stereos are popular failures. I have a "hit list" (never run out list) from the RCA distributor I worked for. It's here somewhere. There are transistors in them, but otherwise a couplate. I'll dig up the list, or maybe one of the console-stereo collectors here can answer quicker. MHF-series Sams books published the innards to at least a half-dozen of them. The consoles covered in the regular Sams folders don't have the innards detailed like the RCA data (duplicated in the MHF books...). 130XXX was the series, but I'm foggy on the specific part numbers. Lemme find the list.

What was neat about the RCA's was the amps - they made several, with differences only in the gain of the device. Finally, they made a universal one,(http://talonelectronics.com/images/rca/136252.jpg) and you changed the value of one resistor to adjust the gain - the resistor range was 10-470 ohms. Even the universal ones are NLA, obsolete by 1988 (the date of my microfiche RCA parts pricing list).

EDIT: I found the germane thread about one member's RCA console and couplate issues:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=344879&hilit=RCA+mpx+amp

About halfway down is the schematic of one, uploaded in my reply.