Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 26, 2019 7:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Source For High Voltage Solid Hookup Wire
PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 1:53 am 

I've been looking for a good source for high voltage (400v - 600v) 20ga solid hookup wire with plastic (vinyl?) insulation. All I've found is either not high voltage, or excessively expensive. I've seen many suggestions for scavenging wire from old power supplies or other electronic equipment. While this is a good idea, I have no immediate access to such things and need wire now. Where do you guys buy your wire?

Thanks!

Rich

Post subject: Re: Need Source For High Voltage Solid Hookup Wire
PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 2:44 am 

RadioDaze

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 2:49 am 

I get enough hookup wire from the leads of scrapped fluorescent ballasts (replaced by LEDs) to meet my needs. If you know an electrician, ask him.
-Chuck

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 2:52 am 

Wesbell is the place. $10 for 100 foot roll and it comes in 10 different colors.

https://wesbellwireandcable.com/UL1015.html

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 3:18 am 

Thanks Scott...I like that price, but that's stranded.

Rich

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 4:02 am 

McMaster-Carr carries this.

https://www.mcmaster.com/standard-electrical-wire

About $16 / 100'.

I'm sure there is less expensive source, but McM-C is quick and reliable.

I was surprised to find that some of the big industrial electronics distributors do not stock 20ga solid any more. Except with teflon insulation.

I trust you know that solid wire must be stripped properly without any nicks, or it may fail later. Bonded conductor stranded wire is safer, but seems hard to find.

Ted

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 3:10 pm 

Usually Lurking wrote:
I trust you know that solid wire must be stripped properly without any nicks, or it may fail later.

Ted is correct. I have owned EICO equipment that was provided as a kit with solid wire. Often when replacing caps I have had wires break loose where they were nicked by the original builder. My SOP when restoring an EICO to service is to replace the solid wire with stranded of the same gauge and color.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 4:02 pm 

I've gone back and forth on this topic. I've always used stranded in the past, mainly because that's all I've had. But I decided I wanted to start using solid for a couple of reasons. 1) It's easier to wrap around terminals (although I always tin stranded wire before wrapping it, so that makes a nicer wrap), and it's easier to shape into a certain route. 2) I've seen many comments on this forum from people who say they'll use nothing but solid unless the application calls for something flexible.

Now I'm on the fence again. That's one of the problems with these forums...6 different people will have 6 different opinions. And I'm sure they are all knowledgeable and have valid opinions. I'll just have to go with what I feel is right. I thought I had researched Radio Daze before and thought their prices were too high, but looking at it now I see that they are really quite reasonable. I thought I needed 20ga, but I measured some in the radio I'm working on and it's 22ga, so I'll probably go head and order from Radio Daze.

Thanks for all the input guys!

Rich

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 5:11 pm 

+1 for stranded.

Easier to dress around the chassis. Less chance for a break due to bad stripping or hooking around terminals. I was a lab tech at college and the lab manager would not let us use solid wire for anything.

Rich

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 5:52 pm 

My guide line is that if the wire is between two components that are fixed on the same board
or panel then I could uses solid. Solid is cheaper so manufacturers use it to save some pennies.
One problem with stranded is that there could be a strand that finds its way out of the group and causes a short. For components that may have to be moved, strained is the way to go.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 7:08 pm 

continuing off-topic.....:)
How to strip solid wire without nicking: use diagonal cutters--not the sharper flush type, but the duller ones--to partially cut the insulation. Think of it as "denting" it. Then use needle-nose pliers to twist it off. My small needle-nose pliers have the right kind of cutter built in

In industry, the "big boys" use thermal strippers to avoid nicking.

"It's always something". --Gilda Radner (1946 - 1989)

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 7:11 pm 

Strip, twist, and tin your stranded wire end before putting it in the terminal. Or use solid. Either works fine.

People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 7:27 pm 

https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Hook-up-Sol ... B00B88779A

Various colors.

Or you can order direct https://www.jameco.com/z/9313-0-22-AWG- ... 36792.html

Consolidated is a good brand. Jameco is a good supplier in my experience.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 8:06 pm 

Vin Tageman wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Hook-up-Solid-White-Feet/dp/B00B88779A
Various colors.
Or you can order direct https://www.jameco.com/z/9313-0-22-AWG- ... 36792.html
Consolidated is a good brand. Jameco is a good supplier in my experience.
Consolidated made a replica Radiola loop wire some 40 ya. At that time they were doing contract manufacturing.

Over time one will find strand hook-up wire is tedious to work with involving a tinning to keep the strands together then, depending on the brand name (actually the plastic alloy used for covering) there will be some retraction of the insulation during the tinning, requiring a cutting or additional stripping. Strand should be used where there will be flexing of the circuit or large gauges involved, strand is the only solution. Solid insulated up to 18 gage will work well, stay in place, no chance of strands feathering, insulation retraction still, depends on the manufacturers plastic, often the color (pigment).

I normally use Alpha or Belden, my only complaint is that at least Alpha in 100' spools will wrap the wire on the spool with a sticky packing tape. The adhesive transfers to the top layer of wire :(

My distributor 30 Y.A. was Newark for the Alpha, I have reason to believe Newark was contract re-spooling...

Chas

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 9:10 pm 

Remington Industries in the Chicago area always has listings on eBay or you can order direct. They actually manufacture the wire they sell. It's available in many sizes and colors and voltage ratings up to 600.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Jan Fri 11, 2019 11:19 pm 

H Rich,
I am surprised that no one here has mention Sal's Capacitor Corner, an advertiser right here in the ARF: http://www.tuberadios.com/capacitors/

Sal offers solid hookup wire in both 20-gauge and 22-gauge with 600v insulation, available in both red and black colors. He also has stranded wire in a wider variety of colors, also with 600v insulation. I have purchased wire from him, and I can assure you it is of excellent quality. And also at a very reasonable price. :)

EDIT: As to the argument of solid vs. stranded wire: each has its advantages and disadvantages. When working on any electronic gear I always use the same type of wire as used by the original manufacturer.

PostPosted: Jan Sun 13, 2019 12:32 am 

If you can find it, bonded conductor stranded wire is nice for non-flexing applications. The whole conductor is pre-tinned. It handles much like solid conductor, and will hold lead dress well, but is less likely to break if there is a small nick.

Also hard to find, is cross-linked insulation. Has a higher melting point, and less shrink-back when you solder. Think of something much like pre-shrunk 221 heat shrink tubing.

Each feature adds some cost to the wire; not too many industrial customers want to pay extra for the wireman's convenience.

Ted

PostPosted: Jan Fri 18, 2019 11:37 pm 

criageek wrote:
I've gone back and forth on this topic.

That's one of the problems with these forums...6 different people will have 6 different opinions.

Rich

Only 6 different opinions from 6 different people? That's pretty good!! :D :D

I use tinned stranded most of the time. I prefer solid for those hard to get to places; it's easier to get a single wire around a terminal lug etc "way down there" instead of tinned stranded; at least for me.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 23, 2019 3:36 pm 

Rich,
18 to 24 gauge solid tinned 600 volt wire in a variety of colors from McMaster-Carr:
https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-elec ... dajr98eoud

Tools for stripping wire without nicking it - the type used for MIL spec and aviation work:
1. Ideal Industries Stripmaster - part number 45-097 for example.
2. Klein Katapult - (knock-off of Stripmaster). Available on the shelf at major retail home building supply and construction material stores.

WB5HDF

PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2019 6:43 am 

CharlesD wrote:
RadioDaze

Thanks for the Radio Daze mention. I've got a Zenith on the way that will no doubt have some crumbly rubber wire, so I just went to Radio Daze and ordered their solid 22ga pack that comes with 8 different colors