Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 26, 2019 4:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Need Source For High Voltage Solid Hookup Wire
PostPosted: Jan Tue 29, 2019 4:03 pm 

I've been bad about acknowledging the input on received on this topic, so thanks to all! I ended up getting a solid wire pack (6 different colors) from Jameco (I remember ordering from them many years ago when they were known as James Electronics) and a stranded wire pack (8 different colors) from Radio Daze.

Rich

PostPosted: Feb Thu 07, 2019 11:27 pm 

I figured I'd give some feedback on my wire purchase in case someone else is looking. I bought this from Jameco: https://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/store ... Id=2159189

I won't be using it in my radios. Not that it's bad wire...I'm sure it's perfectly fine. But the insulation is very thin...it would not look right in these old radios. Just for comparison, here it is next to a piece of 22ga stranded I got from Radio Daze
Attachment:
FJIMG_20190207_162208.jpg
FJIMG_20190207_162208.jpg [ 236.62 KiB | Viewed 101 times ]
So I'll be ordering some solid wire from Radio Daze as well.

Rich

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 12:14 am 

criageek wrote:
I won't be using it in my radios. Not that it's bad wire...I'm sure it's perfectly fine. But the insulation is very thin...it would not look right in these old radios. Just for comparison, here it is next to a piece of 22ga stranded I got from Radio Daze

Well, the 600v cloth covered wire that I have from Radio Daze is WAY too big in most cases. I only use it where the voltage on it is way over 300v. I don't get hung up on the voltage ratings because they are over-rated IMHO, especially seeing the wire insulation that has held up for all these years and still works fine. The 300v wire is what I use when I want it to look good underneath. I find that it matches the size of the original wire much closer, and I sleep good at night knowing that it isn't going to fail in any radio or other device I have used it in.

Here is a piece of the 600v wire next to the B+ line in the Zenith 8S129 that I currently have on the bench. It is HUGE.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 12:32 am 

I agree Scott. I used some of the 600v cloth covered wire I got from Radio Daze on one of the first radios I restored a couple of years ago, but haven't used it since. Just too big.

Rich

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 2:01 am 

I see that the Radiodaze smaller profile wire is not rated, but I would not worry about it. The smaller wire I have I believe is rated for 300v IIRC, but I am not sure where I got it from as I purchased a quantity a number of years ago. I often use vintage wire for replacement, so my new wire doesn't get a lot of use.

Here is my 300v, 20 gauge cloth covered wire against the Radiodaze 600v stuff. As you can see, it is much closer to the size of most original wiring.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 8:12 am 

I got my 8 pack of solid 22 gauge from Radio Daze. I like it overall, but I'm not impressed with the low melting point of the insulation

PostPosted: Feb Fri 08, 2019 12:02 pm 

tubes4life wrote:
I got my 8 pack of solid 22 gauge from Radio Daze. I like it overall, but I'm not impressed with the low melting point of the insulation

PVC is terrible for point to point IMHO. Melting point is low.
There are many other good options like teflon insulation available, or get a pair of these: