Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Wed 20, 2019 7:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Question about Vintage RCA Transformer
PostPosted: Feb Tue 05, 2019 7:13 pm 

I have a RCA 970445-5 (274105) that I dug out of a RC1096. The current transformer has brittle cloth wiring and one of the wires snapped at the part where it comes out of the windings. I was wondering if a suitable substitute exists for this since it would be rather pricey to have it rewound.

Post subject: Re: Question about Vintage RCA Transformer
PostPosted: Feb Wed 06, 2019 3:31 am 

970445-5 is the drawing number - that will cross to the RCA Part Number, which will be a 5 or 6-digit number. Some cross references (Thordarson, Triad, Merit) will cross both, but with the part number, you can see if RCA subbed it along the way with another part.

Triad cross references are online - the rest, in the hands of members here.

Triad: http://www.triadtransformers.com/catalogHome.html TV-81 is the last, but any from the "year period" of you transformer will be of the most help.

Post subject: Re: Question about Vintage RCA Transformer
PostPosted: Feb Wed 06, 2019 4:42 am 

Hi TSL A/V Works and welcome to the forum!
The easiest way to get a cross-reference on your transformer is to obtain a SAMS Photofact for your RCA. And in any case you should definitely have this Photofact if you are doing service/restoration work on this radio.

According to the SAMS index, RCA Chassis RC-1096 was covered in Photofact 141-10, Chassis RC-1096A was covered in Photofact 138-8. You can obtain these from Steve Johnson at "Steve's Antique Technology" (an advertiser here in the ARF). Click on his box in the right-hand column of this page.

I will also add: It may be possible that you can repair your existing transformer. Use the "Search" feature here on the ARF with keywords such as "repair power transformer leads" and you will get a lot of useful information. And if you have any questions feel free to ask them here--many of us are able and willing to help you.