Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Mon 18, 2019 10:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is High Voltage Wire Needed?
PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2019 4:42 am 

I accept your premise henry finley - and in some situations I will do that. But I really don't like doing that kind of work. To me it looks sloppy. I prefer cleaning up the terminal whenever I can. I haven't done a ton of restorations...maybe a dozen... but so far this is the first time I've had anything close to a problem. If I do end up having troubles in the future I'll have to re-think my philosophy.

Thanks for your input!

Rich

PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2019 6:41 am 

henry finley wrote:
criageek wrote:
Thanks again guys for all the feedback...I appreciate it! I've completed the re-rewiring and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected. There were only about 12 - 15 wires involved, most of those on the power transformer. I thought I was going to have to remove the power transformer to get to the splices I made previously, but they were easily accessible after lifting the output transformer out of the way. My only real concern is one terminal on the 5Y3 rectifier tube...it doesn't seem too stable. I THINK it's solid enough to move on but I still have concerns. I'd rather not replace the socket if I don't have to.

Rich

Like I said, and for just this reason. Just clip the wire leaving a pigtail to splice to and use shrink tubing. Having learned that lesson I decided there's NO excuse for ruining a tub socket or any other tie point.

The 5Y3 just has 4 used pins. If the socket has all 8, and just 4 used, You could
move the wires to a pin adjacent, and furnish a single bridge wire to the wobbly one.
Chose wisely to optimize adjacent voltage clearance if possible.

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Feb Wed 13, 2019 8:13 am 

criageek wrote:
I accept your premise henry finley - and in some situations I will do that. But I really don't like doing that kind of work. To me it looks sloppy. I prefer cleaning up the terminal whenever I can. I haven't done a ton of restorations...maybe a dozen... but so far this is the first time I've had anything close to a problem. If I do end up having troubles in the future I'll have to re-think my philosophy.

Thanks for your input!

Rich

Oh you'll re-think your philosophy OK, once you have to change out a tube socket because one or more pins broke loose. Don't ask me how I know this...

Better to have a sloppy looking but electrically solid connection (that nobody is going to see anyway) than drilling out rivets and removing all wiring -making a diagram so you'll know what wires reconnect to which pins- in order to replace it.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 1:01 am 

criageek wrote:

Thanks for your input!

Rich

Good job Rich. Take a look at these:

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/the- ... -best-part

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/stuf ... ansoceanic

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/atwater-kent-559n

First two show those "pig tails". The third one covers wire and there are many more.

And to all those who never look - -

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/who- ... -a-chassis

Don't listen to people that tell you "it doesn't matter". Maybe it doesn't matter to them - -

Russ

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 6:21 am 

criageek wrote:

Thanks for your input!

Rich

I too, prefer to clear out every terminal. Never had too much trouble with fragile connections, if something seems weak I adapt my approach to avoid breaking it.
Attachment:
IMG_20190203_135201117_HDR.jpg
IMG_20190203_135201117_HDR.jpg [ 94.09 KiB | Viewed 228 times ]

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 2:46 pm 

phlogiston wrote:
criageek wrote:

Thanks for your input!

Rich

Good job Rich. Take a look at these:

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/the- ... -best-part

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/stuf ... ansoceanic

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/atwater-kent-559n

First two show those "pig tails". The third one covers wire and there are many more.

And to all those who never look - -

https://www.russoldradios.com/blog/who- ... -a-chassis

Don't listen to people that tell you "it doesn't matter". Maybe it doesn't matter to them - -

Russ

Thanks for the great info Russ! I do restuff paper caps most of the time now. I've not yet ventured into restuffing the bumblebee caps or trying to make resistors look original.

Rich

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 9:42 pm 

That's good. The point of "looking under the chassis" was not to say "do what I do" rather, do a good job at what ever you choose to do. I'm just providing a few suggestions.

PostPosted: Feb Thu 14, 2019 9:53 pm 

fifties wrote:
Oh you'll re-think your philosophy OK, once you have to change out a tube socket because one or more pins broke loose. Don't ask me how I know this...
In over 60 years of repairing radios, several years as a full-time job, I've NEVER damaged a socket. Work carefully and you won't either.

If you get in a hurry, try to repair a vintage set using a 10-watt iron, then try to pull the wire free with a pair of vise-grips... you deserve what you get.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 2:32 am 

Leigh wrote:
fifties wrote:
In over 60 years of repairing radios, several years as a full-time job, I've NEVER damaged a socket. Work carefully and you won't either.

If you get in a hurry, try to repair a vintage set using a 10-watt iron, then try to pull the wire free with a pair of vise-grips... you deserve what you get.

- Leigh

Consider yourself lucky then. I had a chassis where one socket crumbled as I was deftly trying to remove a lead. It happens.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 2:49 am 

fifties wrote:
Leigh wrote:
fifties wrote:

- Leigh
Consider yourself lucky then. I had a chassis where one socket crumbled as I was deftly trying to remove a lead. It happens.
Perhaps.

I will concede that it may happen although I've never encountered such components.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 8:53 am 

It's really a question of metallurgy. I've had two instances where a lug broke off of a socket--in both cases, the metal of the socket lugs was thin and brittle

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 9:16 am 

Another thing you want to be aware of is that the contacts on selector switches are tempered and if overheated will loose their ability to make a good connection.

Dave

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 3:50 pm 

fifties wrote:
Leigh wrote:
fifties wrote:

- Leigh

Agreed, the miniature tubes use socket to dissipate heat, reason 50C5 has two screen pinouts. Common to find 35W4 & 50C5 sockets krispy krittered. Were defective so often in CTV I carried replacements in truck inventory. Yep I've pulled sockets setting behind customers set in corner of their den. All about fixing set on 1st call.

Of course big pin or even octal types, rarely generated enough heat to damage socket.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 4:22 pm 

35Z5 wrote:
Agreed, the miniature tubes use socket to dissipate heat, reason 50C5 has two screen pinouts. Common to find 35W4 & 50C5 sockets krispy krittered. Were defective so often in CTV I carried replacements in truck inventory. Yep I've pulled sockets setting behind customers set in corner of their den. All about fixing set on 1st call.

Of course big pin or even octal types, rarely generated enough heat to damage socket.
Interesting.

That may well explain the difference in experience.

I serviced some miniature-tube gear 5 or 6 decades ago, but none in the past 50 years.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 5:23 pm 

I can not recall ever damaging a socket. I have done 10s of thousands of these connections and have developed several methods to make removal much easier. Maybe a video - -

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 7:28 pm 

phlogiston wrote:
I can not recall ever damaging a socket. I have done 10s of thousands of these connections and have developed several methods to make removal much easier. Maybe a video - -

I wish I could say that. I am very careful. But 9-pin sockets on Scott amplifiers will often split at the narrow part of the opening. Of course, Japanese terminal strips are very fragile. (Read, Sansui 1000A)

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 8:35 pm 

I've changed out lots of sockets. In the TV era of cheap portables, tubes that ran hot
would almost bake themselves loose on boards. 50C5 sockets did that too.

In PA and imported stereo components, output tube sockets along with output
transformers change outs were necessary when an arc over happened. Our shops
were factory warranty facilities for our lines, so everything was available as OEM.

Sets that had spring wire hold downs for tubes had sockets that lasted. Japanese
products used these because the distance/handling from factory to consumer was
great.

For people in the trade from the late 50's through transistors, actually very seldom
ever went near the restoration class of sets. There simply was no money in it.

The only times wood cabinet sets were in shops was when entire stereo
sets or TVs were picked up for repair.

We needed a trade license in several Provinces, and I wrote mine in 1964 and
was examined on a metal chassis TV set with kine attached. No BS. Just scope
VTVM, and examiner asking me to do things on it. The exams were because
of outrage over crooks in the TV repair business.

Steve Dow
ve7aso@rac.ca

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 9:12 pm 

Leigh wrote:
35Z5 wrote:

Interesting.

I serviced some miniature-tube gear 5 or 6 decades ago, but none in the past 50 years.

- Leigh

I don't think it's a difference in experience as much as a difference in component age.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 11:28 pm 

fifties wrote:
Leigh wrote:
Interesting.

- Leigh
I don't think it's a difference in experience as much as a difference in component age.
That's certainly possible.

- Leigh