Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Tue 16, 2019 7:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Elna capacitors date codes?
PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 8:39 am 

Hello all, I have a receiver I have recently restored and I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on when it was built by deciphering the codes on some caps I have from after the restoration. I have a cap that reads 24043 JCP-A 0.05 (M) would it be safe to say the cap was made the 24th of April 1963? I'm trying to somewhat accurately pinpoint a date for when the receiver was built. There are pages for the model that my receiver is based upon but mine has a suffix at the end and had wiring modifications from the factory that differ from the schematic. I don't have any problems with the receiver as I have restored it, but I'm just trying to track down a date. The receiver in question was supposedly made in 1965 but I'm thinking my version was made either later in the year or the following year. And identifing the year of the caps would confirm my suspicions because if the cap was made in '63 it would be unlikely the receiver was made in '68 as the radio museum States but on the page it has a question mark after it. And I can't seem to find any ads or schematics for the model I have
Thanks,
John in MI

Post subject: Re: Elna capacitors date codes?
PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 2:48 pm 

If you can post some info on the receiver (model and or pic) that would help. Instead of trying to confirm a date on a cap....why not look at tranny and pot EIA codes?

PostPosted: Jun Tue 04, 2019 6:52 pm 

Hello, as of right now I will be taking off the cover when I replace a tube socket and rewire the electrolytics in a couple of days, the voltages are all good and check out in the tube datasheets so I've chosen to leave them alone for the time being. But anyway I have some photos I just took of the set as you can see there is a hole in the chassis with no tube socket and it does not have a magic eye tuner, instead it has a signal meter (which I actually prefer, because of the outrageous prices of nos magic eye tubes nowdays!)https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=234230 in this post it is the 5th photo down that shows the missing socket so I assume if his doesn't have it as well, it must be factory it is a Lafayette LA 215a radio museum lists the 215 as a '65 set and the (A) as a '68 set but I don't think that this would have been manufactured that late, because around that time didn't tubes really start to get overtaken by transistors?

Attachments:
File comment: Faceplate
IMG_20190604_125622293_resize_24.jpg
IMG_20190604_125622293_resize_24.jpg [ 116.49 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]
File comment: Missing socket in lower right
IMG_20190604_125632786_LL_resize_35.jpg
IMG_20190604_125632786_LL_resize_35.jpg [ 196.47 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]
IMG_20190604_125629347_LL_resize_7.jpg
IMG_20190604_125629347_LL_resize_7.jpg [ 211.13 KiB | Viewed 194 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Wed 05, 2019 10:58 pm 

You need to find some scans of old Lafayette Radio catalogs from the 1960s (or the actual paper catalogs, which do turn up on eBay from time to time). AmericanRadioHistory.com has one from 1968 https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Allied-Catalogs/Lafayette-1968-Spring.pdf and if you turn to the hi-fi section, you'll see that by 1968, tube stereo receivers like yours had long since disappeared in the rear view mirror. I would guess your unit was made in the 1963-64 time frame.

Dating equipment by the code dates on components is tricky. You know the equipment could not have been made before those dates. However, prior to "just in time" supply chain management, manufacturers did not get parts as they used them. They decided how many units of a particular type they were going to build, then they'd order all the parts to do the run. That was the only way to assure the last unit off the assembly line would be identical to the first. So some of the parts could have been manufactured in 1963 but might not have been assembled into a receiver until some months, perhaps a year later.

Electrolytic capacitors are the best parts to use for age estimates; they are typically used within six months of manufacture to avoid deforming in storage. Other parts like transformers, tubes, semiconductors, etc., do not deform or deteriorate if stored correctly so they may have been sitting around longer.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Jun Thu 06, 2019 8:53 am 

As I said in an e-mail to you, the LA-215 appeared in the 1965 yearly Lafayette catalog. It did not appear in 1966 catalog. The LA-215A never appeared in any yearly catalog. It might have appeared in one or two of the quarterly catalogs before it was dropped from the line. It sold for $109.95. Neither the LA-215 nor the LA-215A manuals have any dates on them.

The receiver was imported so most likely the chassis might have been used in some other models slightly different in which extra chassis holes are possible. Both models were low end receivers, neither of which lasted more then a year before they were dropped from the Lafayette hi-fi line. Lafayette's cost per unit (what we paid the original manufacturer for each unit) was most likely around $40 to $45 each (if that much).