Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Sat 07, 2019 1:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: RCA 86T dial belt source
PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 5:57 am 

I’m trying to locate a dial belt for the 1937 RCA 86T I’m working on. The existing belt has seen better days.

Attachment:
FF31C7C4-1047-442D-83E1-34C90EB33BED.jpeg
FF31C7C4-1047-442D-83E1-34C90EB33BED.jpeg [ 336.92 KiB | Viewed 968 times ]

I tried JustRadios to no avail, but they were kind enough to refer me to Quality Radio Belts. They show this model listed as available on their website here:

Attachment:
8A16FB2F-308F-43F3-81E0-5AB743D5E036.jpeg
8A16FB2F-308F-43F3-81E0-5AB743D5E036.jpeg [ 101.47 KiB | Viewed 968 times ]

However, two weeks after ordering a belt from them I inquired via e-mail as to the status since other members have reported prompt shipping. 12 minutes later, I received a refund via PayPal offering no explanation for lack of delivery.

Is there anyone else producing this belt or do I need to look for one of the “build it yourself” belt kits?

Andy

Post subject: Re: RCA 86T dial belt source
PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 12:02 pm 

Hi,
I have several boxes of JFD NOS dial belts and will check my stock.
Henry

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 12:48 pm 

PM sent.
Henry

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 1:12 pm 

Andrew Cummings wrote:
However, two weeks after ordering a belt from them I inquired via e-mail as to the status since other members have reported prompt shipping. 12 minutes later, I received a refund via PayPal offering no explanation for lack of delivery.

Andy

Not what you would call a glowing endorsement of Quality Radio Belts. The owner of that enterprise owes you an explanation.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 8:31 pm 

Wow, thanks for jumping the gun.
I mailed Andrew's belt the day after it was ordered. Unfortunately the US mail doesn't allow me to track items sent First Class Mail. I responded twice to Andy, but my emails were not replied to; first last night, within five minutes of him telling me the belt never showed and second, this morning after I sent out a replacement.

Here is last night's first message, after I received his email. It was sent five minutes after I got his note, and the $7 refund went out five minutes later.

Quality Radio Belts USA <qualityradiobelts@gmail.com>
Thu, Jun 13, 10:32 PM (17 hours ago)
to Andrew

I’m very sorry it has lnt arrived. I do have a record here that I mailed the belt. But it was not returned to me via USPS. So I think it must be lost somewhere in transit. I’ll make you another, send it out via Priority Mail in the morning and will refund your purchase price.

If the original does eventually arrive, please just keep it with my apologies on the trouble.

If you need anything else or have any more concerns, feel free to call me at(401) 396-7450.

Thank you,

Ted

Andy then replied, asking if the refund meant I could not produce the belt. Again, I replied that that is not hte case, and I would refund him his money, send him a second belt, and ship it Priority Mail at my expense.
I got no response from him after his first email to me.

Here is my third message to him, after I had shipped out a second belt:

Andrew,

Sorry again that it appears your belt was lost in the mail. I normally send these belts via First Class Letter; consequently I have no way of tracking them once they leave my shop. However my records do indicate I made and sent out the belt one day after you submitted your order.

To bring you up to date:

1. I refunded your original payment amount of $7.
2. I made a second belt to replace the one lost in transit to you.
3. I have sent it out this morning via Priority Mail at my expense, cost to me $7.35.
4. The tracking number is 9505511248439165152279.
5. You should receive the belt Monday.
6. If the original belt eventually shows up, please keep it as a spare.

This is the best I can do. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please let me know. Terribly sorry for the inconvenience; US mail system is not infallible.

Thank you,

Ted Hayes
Quality Radio Belts
Bristol, RI

It's a shame that a shipping error beyond my control is being blamed on me. I strive for perfect customer service but again, things beyond my control are beyond my control. I believe I did everything I could in this case to (A) fulfill the original order promptly and (2) make the situation as right as could be when the mail system failed the buyer.

If I'm wrong, I would love to hear what else I could have realistically done to correct the US Mail's error.
Below is a screenshot of my gmail sent emails folder. Two from last night, one this morning (email shown above) and one just now.

Attachments:
IMG_3745.jpg
IMG_3745.jpg [ 107.95 KiB | Viewed 879 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 9:06 pm 

Ted, PM sent.

It appears there is some sort of disconnect in e-mail land as I have still not actually received any replies from Ted but he has obviously sent them out.

Andy

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 9:10 pm 

My recent order for two belts from Quality Radio Belts was filled quickly and with zero issues.
It would appear that communications from Ted sent to Andy were unfortunately not received and/or read.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 9:26 pm 

Hi all,

Yes, it looks like Andy had an issue receiving my emails. I haven't had any other issues with anyone using this gmail account. So I don't know what the issue is on his end is. Anyway, that's that.

One thing, though: I would like to take this opportunity to talk a bit about my business.

I started Quality Radio Belts to keep a service alive that had been lost. I really enjoy it, I expended a significant amount of money getting the operation up and running (far more than I have made to date), and I have without exception provided excellent service to each and every customer who has bought for me. I appreciate every order and my number one priority is having happy customers.

To this point, apart from Andrew's issue, I have had exactly one issue with a customer:

It was from a gentleman who, after receiving a belt for his radio, emailed me and called me a few choice names for providing a belt that he said was "worthless."
I apologized, refunded his money, and sent him four new belts at no charge, shipped Priority Mail at my expense, each one a quarter inch smaller than the other, to make up for what he said was a grossly oversized belt. I contacted him several times after that, and it turned out that the issue was his belt drive system: It has a tensioner which he did not know about and was not using. Turns out the original belt was fine and worked as designed. I would have been surprised, to say the least, to have eventually heard that the belt was in error. And it was not.

I love making these belts, I enjoy it quite a bit, and I get a lot of satisfaction out of it. However, I guess it is human nature for people to be upset when things don't work out the way they should. Mistakes happen of course, and when they do I will stand behind my service and professionalism. To date though, all of the issues (two) that I have encountered were due to problems and circumstances beyond my control.

I will continue to offer excellent service and 100 percent accountability and promptness in dealing with each and every order I get. I thank all of the people who have bought for me for their support in my venture.

Thanks,

Ted

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 10:19 pm 

Maybe he should check his spam/junk folder.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 11:27 pm 

I have a friend who uses an email program that allows him to receive email from Gmail only if he is included in the "To:" recipients. If he is included as a "Cc:" recipient, his email application deletes the email entirely, as though he never received it at all.

And it is specific to Gmail... if an email originates from another source (like yahoo or hotmail) it is always received. He hasn't been able to find a setting to change the behavior.

Maybe there's some weird effect like that happening.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 2:37 am 

Johnnysan wrote:
Andrew Cummings wrote:

Andy

Not what you would call a glowing endorsement of Quality Radio Belts. The owner of that enterprise owes you an explanation.

Is my explanation adequate? Thank you,

Ted

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 3:55 am 

Diverted wrote:
Johnnysan wrote:
Andrew Cummings wrote:

Andy

Is my explanation adequate? Thank you,

Ted

Seems adequate. It also seems a bit on the odd side that not only did a small envelope not make it 3000 miles in 2 weeks, but 3 emails did not make it to the recipient (and apparently were not returned as undeliverable); did someone give or use incorrect addresses, email and physical?

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 4:01 am 

Glad it seems adequate. And yes it does seem odd. However I can only send packages to and respond to emails at the addresses I am given.

Again, thanks for your concern.

Ted

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 4:32 am 

Earlier tonight Andy asked me in a PM to send a test email to him at a different address. I did at about 10:40; he responded 10 minutes later. His response to me:

(Text of email from Andy to me):

I concede that the difficulty is with the e-mail account used on my end. This one works fine.

Thank you for your patience, I’ll will update the post on the forum indicating such shortly.

Sent from my iPhone

Since he hasn’t posted yet, I thought I should. Perhaps he can verify to Johnnysan that this is in fact the text he sent to me, so there is no confusion.
Thank you.

Ted

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 4:46 am 

Yes, Ted must be given accolades for having the patience of Job. He spent a considerable amount of time working with me today trying to determine the root cause of where things went wrong.

The conclusion, I am not receiving email to my Yahoo account from Quality Radio Belts, however I immediately received email to a gmail account. I do not understand the reason why this is occurring, but it is nevertheless. They were not filtered out to a spam or junk folder so that part leaves me stumped.

So I believe I owe Ted an apology at this point. While the original package was lost in transit, something he has no control over, he has gone above and beyond what I would consider to be “adequate” customer service.

Looking forward to receipt of the belt ordered to move ahead with my current project.

Andy

PostPosted: Jun Sat 15, 2019 3:20 pm 

Andrew Cummings wrote:
Yes, Ted must be given accolades for having the patience of Job. He spent a considerable amount of time working with me today trying to determine the root cause of where things went wrong.

The conclusion, I am not receiving email to my Yahoo account from Quality Radio Belts, however I immediately received email to a gmail account. I do not understand the reason why this is occurring, but it is nevertheless. They were not filtered out to a spam or junk folder so that part leaves me stumped.

So I believe I owe Ted an apology at this point. While the original package was lost in transit, something he has no control over, he has gone above and beyond what I would consider to be “adequate” customer service.

Looking forward to receipt of the belt ordered to move ahead with my current project.

Andy

It's called whitelisting, easy to do with most email accounts. Just add Ted's email account to your Yahoo email's whitelist.

http://onlinegroups.net/blog/2014/02/25 ... l-address/

Summary - Gmail has it's share of spammers, so nervous nellies at Yahoo probably blacklisted many gmail accounts, and Ted's got caught up. Just whitelist him, and Yahoo will update your account, and after a to-and fro or two, whitelist Ted for the entire Yahoo spectra (or at least that;s how it's supposed to work,....)

and, yes, Ted is an AWESOME resource, a patient one at that!!

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 3:55 am 

Just a quick update to put closure to this thread. I received the belt from Ted at Quality Radio Belts yesterday, as expected. It measures out perfectly and looks the bees knees. I’m grateful that a resource like this exists for our little community. With enough radios in the que for restoration to last me the quite a few years to come, I will undoubtedly be purchasing from Ted again.

Attachments:
BF480D96-F56D-4A7E-98E2-4B9E01CDE4C7.jpeg
BF480D96-F56D-4A7E-98E2-4B9E01CDE4C7.jpeg [ 302.51 KiB | Viewed 659 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Wed 19, 2019 3:58 am 

Thanks Andrew, best of luck with your radio work, and thanks for the business.

Ted