Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 16, 2019 5:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Clarostat Control Kit(s)
PostPosted: Jul Thu 18, 2019 7:29 pm 

Gentleman
I recently purchased at an auction a very large quantity or Clarostat Brand control elements, shafts and switches, for building up substitute controls. While not familiar with the Clarostat products, I sold many a Centralab control when I was in the electronics parts business in the 70's. I'm looking for a copy of the Clarostat substitution book that will cross reference and show you the various bits and pieces that will be needed to build up a particular control.
Many of these elements have taps on them, hard to find these days.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

thanks

Ronnie Hull
Shreveport

Post subject: Re: Clarostat Control Kit(s)
PostPosted: Jul Thu 18, 2019 9:25 pm 

Mark Oppat may know of one, but I'm only aware of their RTV (Radio-TV) replacement (pre-made) controls. I have the Clarostat RTV cross reference for the early RTV-stuff.

The Clarostat RTV line of ready-made controls covered about 100 manufacturers and some 3,400 part numbers, many of which were "similar enough" to use a particular RTV control.

Here's what I'm talking about:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=cl ... 0&_fosrp=1

I too worked at a distributor that sold Clarostat - I'm also well versed in their A47 (post-1960) series, with the exception of a few oddball shafts. The Radio Electronic Master guides contained the Clarostat line. The RTV stuff ended in the early 60s, with the A47 stuff being more prevalent.

EDIT: Sams published two control guides for TV-Radio (including some car radio stuff) that included the Clarostat, Mallory and IRC/CTS stuff.

But Mark Oppat can tell you more.... :D

PostPosted: Jul Sun 28, 2019 7:50 pm 

Mark will probably offer to buy them!

PostPosted: Aug Sat 03, 2019 7:59 am 

Hi Ronnie, i have lots of control catalogs and yes I have the Clarostat stock plus Centralab (which I sold too back in the 70's) , IRC and Mallory, who all made replacement lines. But, all changed their lines about every 12 years from the 1930's to the 1980's when those systems were all discontinued, the sad part being these parts are not interchangeable between brands, and even within their own lines over time.

The Clarostat RTV line numbered up into the 400 numbers I think but I have never found a catalog for them that describes the specs of each control in that line. If anyone has such, let me know. Most are concentric shaft TV controls for the 1946-1966 era , so not much for radios in that line.

You can make most any 1935-1970 era control with most of the other systems , but when any box lot of parts is found, usually the popular parts are missing. This is why I have had to have shafts and such made, to allow maximum usability.

I can help you with anything you are missing. Send me a note m oppat @comcast.net remove spaces
Mark Oppat