Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 23, 2019 12:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Mallory MTC-Series Trimpots
PostPosted: Jul Mon 29, 2019 8:54 pm 

Does anyone have a catalog showing the Mallory MTC-series trimpots? It would likely be from the '70s or '80s. I have two examples in stock - the Mallory MTC13L4A, which is a rebranded Piher PT15LV18-102A2020 trimpot, and the Mallory MTC14L4A, which is a rebranded Piher PT15LV18-103A2020 trimpot. I would like to find what other Piher trimpots were rebranded as Mallory MTC series as they may be found at lower prices than ones boxed under the Piher brand, and those Piher parts are frequently used in some equipment that I support in my day job.

Post subject: Re: Mallory MTC-Series Trimpots
PostPosted: Jul Mon 29, 2019 9:16 pm 

Mallory relied on Piher and Tocos for trimpots at the end of the MTC/MTL series' life. We got mixed batch orders - 50 of the original Mallory, and 50 of the Piher, along with a note that all future orders would be subject to stock on hand. This was 1990ish, IIRC. Mallory closed out their trimpots entirely shortly thereafter. I got the residual Mallory-made stuff - folks didn't like the discoloration the cases took on after storage. Electrically fine, but look sorta ugly.

I don't have any of the Piher or Tocos stuff -they retained all of that, selling it alongside the DowPak and JimPak stuff.

Duracap may have some data -

MALLORY - DURACAP INTERNATIONAL INC.
P.O. Box 210, 59 Montclair Drive
Woodstock, Ontario, Canada N4S 7W8
Telephone:(519)539-4891 Sales@duracap.com Fax:(519)539-6684
CAGE Code 63778 E.I.A. Code 235 Web: www.duracap.com

PostPosted: Jul Mon 29, 2019 9:22 pm 

Piher PT15 data:

Attachments:
pg0001.pdf [140.39 KiB]
Downloaded 16 times
pg0002.pdf [119.36 KiB]
Downloaded 12 times
pg0003.pdf [87.32 KiB]
Downloaded 11 times
pg0004.pdf [60.46 KiB]
Downloaded 9 times
pg0005.pdf [68.28 KiB]
Downloaded 8 times
pg0006.pdf [302.99 KiB]
Downloaded 11 times

PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 1:14 pm 

Brian -

Thanks, but I already have all of the Piher PT-15 data from the Piher site. What I need is the Mallory MTC data to determine which MTC part is likely equivalent to which Piher part. I will have a poke at DuraCap.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 10, 2019 5:38 pm 

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Brian -

Thanks, but I already have all of the Piher PT-15 data from the Piher site. What I need is the Mallory MTC data to determine which MTC part is likely equivalent to which Piher part. I will have a poke at DuraCap.

I don't think Duracap got much of Mallory beyond the caps and wirewound controls. I have an early-2000ish catalog, seen in the picture below, and no mention of any of the MTC or MTL trimmers. Mallory marketed them for replacement purposes, and didn't target the OEMs, which left the trimmers out of the old EEM guides. They do appear in the Radio Electronic Master guides of the 60s and 1970, but no data, beyond a picture and the values available in both vertical and horizontal versions.

Attachment:
catalog.jpg
catalog.jpg [ 184.18 KiB | Viewed 411 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Sun 11, 2019 1:25 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
They do appear in the Radio Electronic Master guides of the 60s and 1970, but no data, beyond a picture and the values available in both vertical and horizontal versions.

That would help, but the only REM that I have from that time frame is a scan of REM 33 (1969) found online, which is badly incomplete and is missing p. 1265 where the Mallory trimpots would be located. I hope to get to the Shelby hamfest in a few weeks and will see if there are any REMs there.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 2:25 pm 

Here's a clip from an Allied catalog. Mallory MTC stuff wasn't widely promoted or used. Piher current production parts are relatively inexpensive. Keep in mind the sub to Piher and Tocos parts took place in the 1980s, when there were no Radio Electronics Master guides printed - that stopped in 1970 or 71, IIRC. We had the 1970 at the distributor I worked for, and I have two from the 60s (63/67) and a '59, I believe.
Attachment:
MTC.jpg
MTC.jpg [ 238.61 KiB | Viewed 339 times ]

I always preferred the 201 series trimmers from CTS....

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 2:30 pm 

Mouser's PT15 in-stock varieties:

https://www.mouser.com/Passive-Componen ... 15&FS=True

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 3:02 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
Here's a clip from an Allied catalog.

Thanks - that confirms what I had guessed for two Mallory part numbers.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 3:07 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
Mouser's PT15 in-stock varieties:

Thanks, but I know what Mouser, Digikey, and others stock for Piher PT-15 series parts because I order them. I also have the Piher catalog for that series. It was the Mallory information that I was looking for so I can keep an eye out for two of their part numbers. There are two Piher PT-15 parts that I use which are not stocked by Mouser, Digikey, Newark, or any of the other parts houses that I order from.

Dale H. Cook, Radio Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
https://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 3:19 pm 

MTC- Mallory Trimmer Control

Value + zeroes

L1 = Vertical

L4 = lay down (down having .....4 letters)

Their PVC caps were similar:

PVC2222

PVC - Mylar Radial Cap

First digit(s) = voltage - 1, 2, 4, 6, 0, 12, 16 for 1-1600VDC
Last three digits = number of zeroes (2)
significant digits (22)

So 0.0022uF, 200VDC

PVC1147 = 100V 0.047uf
PVC601 = 600V, 0.1uf

and so on.

Mallory FP multisection capacitors? First digit = number of sections, and after that, the higher the number, the higher the voltage rating, at least one above 400V if second digit is greater than 1..

FP314 - three sections, generally none above 200V
FP378 - three sections, with at least one above 400V, most likely all three....

...and on all Mallory FP caps, all 4 slots on the bottom phenolic base were present for terminals even if it had only 1, 2 or 3 sections. They are the best for rebuilding/restuffing for this reason. You can take a 1 section cap, gut it, populate/install the other three terminals, and arrive at a 4-section cap. Sprague, CDE, Aerovox and Arco had the only the number of slots needed for the cap, no open slots.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 3:27 pm 

Dale H. Cook wrote:
There are two Piher PT-15 parts that I use which are not stocked by Mouser, Digikey, Newark, or any of the other parts houses that I order from.

What values, configuration or taper are you needing? The PT15 offerings at Mouser, with 20% tolerance, cover the spectra of values from ~100 ohms to 2.5 Meg

Tried Arrow, Avnet, Future? Arrow and Avnet carry Amphenol, so may have Piher stuff too.

Aftermarket vendors? some had odd values, from the CRT monitor industry. 600 Ohms (vertical size on some large-screen SVGA stuff) and 5 Meg (screen pot on some Toshiba monitors)

You are treading where I work everyday - finding obsolete electronic items in the marketplace that ain't Amazon, Aliexpress, or eBay....... 8)

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 3:36 pm 

I was always partial to Bourns ... both single and multi turn. Maybe it's because that's what they stocked in the lab, but in my later years I used them almost exclusively. I guess it's just what you are familiar with.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 13, 2019 4:56 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
I was always partial to Bourns ... both single and multi turn. Maybe it's because that's what they stocked in the lab, but in my later years I used them almost exclusively. I guess it's just what you are familiar with.

Bourns with the same footprint as the Mallory MTC? 3351W an 3351P series, long obsolete. Bourns went to the boxy, small foot print stuff instead, for high-density boards. CTS 201 series as well. Lifetime buys wiped out most distributor stock of the CTS stuff.

Piher is about the only one left standing in the 15mm trimmer business, ix-naying China, of course .

PostPosted: Aug Thu 15, 2019 9:43 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
You are treading where I work everyday - finding obsolete electronic items in the marketplace that ain't Amazon, Aliexpress, or eBay ...

I work there everyday as well as I am maintaining a variety of broadcast electronics. Some of what I maintain regularly is approaching 50 years old, some is newer. In many cases the equipment manufacturers are long gone.

Three of the Piher parts that I use (and many other parts) are just not available from the major distributors or are not available from them in the small quantities that I need. I have managed to replenish my stock of those three (and many non-Piher parts) from eBay but it may be hit or miss if they are again available there when next I need additional stock.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 16, 2019 12:40 am 

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Findm-Keepm wrote:
You are treading where I work everyday - finding obsolete electronic items in the marketplace that ain't Amazon, Aliexpress, or eBay ...

Three of the Piher parts that I use (and many other parts) are just not available from the major distributors or are not available from them in the small quantities that I need.

So secret, they can't be identified? Reaching out for help, but can't tell what specifically you need? :P

NSA, CIA, Omega Command, USCENTCOM[DEEP], NOFORN/NONATO, or some other secret op?

True story - My company needed to find some obsolete Dialco lamp assemblies. Searched by part number, only to find ONE google result. Someone (a civilian individual) in Alabama got some from a surplus buy and wondered what he had, asking in another forum (RC Aircraft). We saw his post, responded, money changed hands, he was happy, and some gear got reworked on time. All by stating what he had. Same in reverse - someone searching for the value of these "oddball" pots he/she "found" may have just what you need, and respond.....

PostPosted: Aug Fri 16, 2019 3:34 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
So secret, they can't be identified? Reaching out for help, but can't tell what specifically you need?

In the first post in this thread I stated specifically what I needed - information about the Mallory MTC-series trimpots that would help me to match the Mallory part numbers with the equivalent Piher part numbers. I now have that information. I was not asking for a source for parts as I have been buying electronic parts for nearly 60 years. I now have a stock of all of the Piher parts that I need which will likely last me several years.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 16, 2019 5:45 pm 

Dale H. Cook wrote:
Findm-Keepm wrote:
So secret, they can't be identified? Reaching out for help, but can't tell what specifically you need?

In the first post in this thread I stated specifically what I needed - information about the Mallory MTC-series trimpots that would help me to match the Mallory part numbers with the equivalent Piher part numbers. I now have that information. I was not asking for a source for parts as I have been buying electronic parts for nearly 60 years. I now have a stock of all of the Piher parts that I need which will likely last me several years.

Noted.

Also noted:
Quote:
Three of the Piher parts that I use (and many other parts) are just not available from the major distributors or are not available from them in the small quantities that I need. I have managed to replenish my stock of those three (and many non-Piher parts) from eBay but it may be hit or miss if they are again available there when next I need additional stock.

Quote:
There are two Piher PT-15 parts that I use which are not stocked by Mouser, Digikey, Newark, or any of the other parts houses that I order from.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 17, 2019 3:20 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
Also noted: ...

Note also that I was not asking for a source for those Piher parts.