Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Mon 23, 2019 12:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Advice needed on how to buy components for radio repairs.
PostPosted: Aug Tue 06, 2019 9:10 pm 

Good afternoon to my fellow Radio enthusiasts,

I am new here on the AR Forums and have searched for any similar questions and have not found anything so I will describe my situation and question:

I am getting back into radio repair after a long period of no spare time and no place to work on stuff. I now have time and space but I have lost most of my spare parts supplies and am starting over fresh (at least I still have all of my tools!!). I am mainly working on older tube and hybrid ham radio gear such as Kenwood TS-820 and Collins S-line as well as older Heathkit and even stuff as old as the Collins 75A-2. I have on my bench now a Viking Ranger that I want to restore and start playing with AM phone.

My problem is I don't have the huge supplies of discreet components I once had and I am finding it difficult to go online and order just what I need and then wait a week for the box to arrive from Mouser or Digi-Key and then find I ordered the wrong parts. I have a pretty good supply of disc caps built up, and I ordered a selection of 1/4w resistors on Amazon but those are too small for the tube radios I am working on.

I am thinking of buying a few of the assorted "kits" on justradios.com that feature a pack of 500 to 600 resistors of the more common values and they are priced around $65 or so, which would come out to roughly 10 cents each which is a lot less than I am seeing individual prices on Mouser and those types of suppliers. I also am ready to pull my hair out trying to order on Mouser since it seems to be so time consuming to search for each value and then select all of the filters to finally find a 470 ohm 1/2 W resistor that is IN STOCK and then have to do it all over again for the next value.

So now that I have explained what I need and why... Is there any suggestion you all could offer on which type of kit to buy? I see there are Carbon Comp, Metal Oxide, Metal Film, etc and I don't know which would be best for what I am doing? I have tested quite a few of the resistors in this Viking Ranger, for example, and the majority of them have gone high in value and there are quite a few that are cracked lengthwise, so I am wanting to just go ahead and replace all of the resistors. I am leaning towards getting the Metal Oxide kit of 1W resistors just for the extra heat capability. Is this a good choice? https://www.justradios.com/coreskits.html#kit8A Do I need "flame proof" or just the standard?

I will need to address the same problem with electrolytic caps on future builds, but for now the resistor choice is the main question.

Thanks in advance for the help!!! Brian W6BRY

Post subject: Re: Advice needed on how to buy components for radio repairs
PostPosted: Aug Tue 06, 2019 10:00 pm 

Mouser is easy to to select resistors provided you browse and apply filters and don't do a text search first.

Using your example of 1/2 watt 470 ohm resistor in stock....it took me just under 2 minutes launch the web site and narrow the selection down to 9 items sorted by stock numbers sorted by price. Click Passive Components, then Resistors, then use the filters to sort by ohms and watts check the box for stocked items.

Again, for the benefit of others, to quickly narrow down a single value of component, do not enter text but instead click on category names and uses the filters.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 06, 2019 10:08 pm 

I use Mousser also the only issue is the $9 shipping if your just in need of $2 worth of parts. I put a list of radios together that I like to repair or repair the most. I ordered 10 of each resister, caps for them radios. I also keep a few diodes and Zener around. It’s hard to have every part you will ever need in stock but just try to narrow down to most likely to need. I also do that with tubes, as I see them I grab them.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 06, 2019 10:13 pm 

A couple of our vendors on the right side here sell nice kits of capacitors of the values normally needed, quality parts at great prices

PostPosted: Aug Tue 06, 2019 10:35 pm 

It can be cheap to stock up on resistor and capacitor variety kits. But the fact is that probably all of them will be of Asian origin. Vintage or more modern US parts are found usually randomly at swapmeets and hamfests, in any quantity. Unless you want to pay full price from a commercial supplier. I can put a couple dollars worth of cheap but good caps in a cheap table radio, or I can buy "quality US made" and pay more than it is worth, to me. But most of us that have been in the hobby for a long time have accumulated alot of parts willy nilly and can use something like orange drops or brown epoxy caps in some instances.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 06, 2019 11:30 pm 

We are lucky to have anyone who will deal with a $ 2 order. Just not worth the time for most any company or person.
Fortunately Digikey will sell a single pennies cost item such as one 40 cent film cap cent and charge only $4 for US mail.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 12:11 am 

Two ideas.... firstly, the already mentioned vendors right here on ARF .... they have excellent assortments, and great prices. Most of your work has been done.. just order one or two kits. Personally I added kits of 2W metal film to supplement my already pretty large stock of 1/4 and 1/2 watt carbon films from 'back in the day' . I got rid of all the carbons a long time ago, but sometimes wish I'd held on to them.

Second... as you noted, hamfests, swap meets, the occasional electronics auction depending on where you are located. Estes Auctions here in Ohio has one every month, and there are almost always tons of resistor sets in the old style plastic Ohmite style drawers.

I used to also buy from Jameco, although at that time I'd order 100 of each value. I'm not sure how they are now... a quick look at their site seems they only handle 1/8 and 1/4, and 1/2 watt resistors so they are probably useless for what you want. But browse there too... my patience is limited :)

My personal preference is to support our local vendors here on ARF ... then I supplement with Mouser and Digikey for specialty stuff or 'one of a kind' orders.

The above pretty much applies to capacitors as well. But do go to any hamfest or swap meet you can.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 12:30 am 

Dale Saukerson wrote:
Mouser is easy to to select resistors provided you browse and apply filters and don't do a text search first.

Using your example of 1/2 watt 470 ohm resistor in stock....it took me just under 2 minutes launch the web site and narrow the selection down to 9 items sorted by stock numbers sorted by price. Click Passive Components, then Resistors, then use the filters to sort by ohms and watts check the box for stocked items.

Again, for the benefit of others, to quickly narrow down a single value of component, do not enter text but instead click on category names and uses the filters.

Thank you, Dale. I really appreciate your reply. I just tried to search by clicking the categories instead of how I normally do it and I was able to find all of the resistors I need for this Viking Ranger without too much trouble!! Thanks again!!

I ordered 10 or 20 of each value since they are only 10 cents each, so I will be building up my stock slowly but surely.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 12:34 am 

Thanks for the replies everyone, I made an order from Mouser to complete this project as I have a good list to go by. In addition, I am ordering some kits from the site sponsors so I will have some values in stock here and not have to wait for parts every time I open up a radio.

Thanks for the help,

Brian W6BRY

PostPosted: Aug Thu 08, 2019 2:10 pm 

Here is a nice assortment of 1 watt carbon film https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ltvystore-480P ... 5b589f6e87

PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 3:16 am 

And here is another, and it's CHEAP.

I buy 98% of my components from China. Now there's going to be a hundred wailers saying the parts are junk, so forth and so on, but I've been using parts from that part of the world for 40 years and never have had a serious problem. Compare, and pick the guys with BIGGEST sales numbers and customers and at least 98% happy feedback, and you'll be OK.

https://mikeharrison.smugmug.com/

Mike

PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 2:26 pm 

1/4 Watt parts would not be a good choice for tube radio repair. The 1/4 parts are lower voltage rating and can have thin leads not suitable for vintage electronics.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 3:09 pm 

Eddy wrote:
1/4 Watt parts would not be a good choice for tube radio repair. The 1/4 parts are lower voltage rating and can have thin leads not suitable for vintage electronics.

Yes, and the standard minimum wattage for tube type vintage electronics was 1/2 watt. There are some restorers that tend to use 1 watt for replacing resistors because the modern versions are smaller and they give a bigger safety margin.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 12, 2019 3:40 pm 

More than a few antique radios did use 1/4 watt resistors from the factory. But agree it makes no sense to stock several wattage values.