Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Thu 19, 2019 5:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: VX(M) or UVZ Nichicon cap is better for tube audio amp?
PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 7:56 pm 

Hello guys,

I'm looking for a replacement capacitor in my Zenith tube amp. There is a 47MF 450VDC capacitor with the rectifier tube that needs to be replaced.
Upon checking on eBay I came across two types of Nichicon caps, one is a VX(M) 85C cap type which says in the description that its specifically for tube amps. The second one is a UVZ type 105C cap for the same price as the former but two pieces. Does the later UVZ work well in tube audio applications?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: VX(M) or UVZ Nichicon cap is better for tube audio amp?
PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 8:27 pm 

I would not expect to see any difference in performance among different types of filter caps. Audiophiles often claim to be able to hear diiferences for other cap applications, but those claims typically would not stand up to controlled testing.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 9:06 pm 

If all other parameters for the caps are the same, choose the 105 deg, if it fits. The higher temp rating is more robust and will likely out last the 85, IMHO

Chas

PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 9:14 pm 

+1
-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Aug Wed 07, 2019 10:08 pm 

+2. All things being equal, go with the higher temperature rated cap. If each cap has a spec for ripple handling, go with the one that can handle more ripple. You may find that it follows the temp spec, but maybe not. MODERN caps are more geared towards switching supplies i.e. higher frequency ripple, but a lot of it boils down (pun intended) to how much heat they can handle internally.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 08, 2019 1:45 am 

Quote:
Upon checking on eBay

Watch out for counterfeits on Ebay. It would be far better to buy from an authorized distributor such as Mouser or Digi-Key.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 08, 2019 2:39 am 

Not finding VX(M) in the Nichicon spec sheets. Maybe an older or special order product (assuming they are legitimate). Nowhere does it say anything about vacuum tube applications; it’s a general purpose cap. The 47-uF, 450 volt cap in the VX series is good for 290 mA of ripple current while the corresponding cap in the UVZ series is rated for 185 mA. It’s also interesting to note the VX has a 2,000 hour rating while the higher temperature UVZ only rated for 1,000 hours.

I’d forget about the temperature ratings and go with the VX cap. Ripple current rating should be about 3 x the DC load current which the VX can do in an old Zenith. The UVZ would work too but maybe not as long.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Aug Thu 08, 2019 4:42 am 

I would never buy any "name brand" on ebay.

if you want a genuine product by "nichicon, panasonic, whatever", buy from a reputable vendor like mouser or digikey.

I don't believe ebay sellers offer a COA on their products :P .

steve

PostPosted: Aug Thu 08, 2019 6:39 pm 

Hello Steve & Jim,

I decided to go to eBay because the particular amp in question that I'm restoring already had all the capacitors replaced except one that I missed out! :roll:

The others were ordered from mouser, but if I order just one from mouser the shipping is too much. Most of the counterfeit ones I've seen usually have bad printing or slight variation in there name. This one I'll have to trust my gas and get it.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 08, 2019 6:44 pm 

Chris108 wrote:
Not finding VX(M) in the Nichicon spec sheets. Maybe an older or special order product (assuming they are legitimate). Nowhere does it say anything about vacuum tube applications; it’s a general purpose cap. The 47-uF, 450 volt cap in the VX series is good for 290 mA of ripple current while the corresponding cap in the UVZ series is rated for 185 mA. It’s also interesting to note the VX has a 2,000 hour rating while the higher temperature UVZ only rated for 1,000 hours.

I’d forget about the temperature ratings and go with the VX cap. Ripple current rating should be about 3 x the DC load current which the VX can do in an old Zenith. The UVZ would work too but maybe not as long.

I've ordered the VX(M) capacitor as of now. I was going through my inventory and found another type called VR(M) type also but its capacitance was too high around 120uF. That would definitely cause an arcing so had to get this one.

I had read in this forum that the KZ is generally used for audio but since this cap is mostly in the power supply filtering section I'm confused if I need to get the normal one for power supply.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 08, 2019 6:51 pm 

pixellany wrote:
I would not expect to see any difference in performance among different types of filter caps. Audiophiles often claim to be able to hear diiferences for other cap applications, but those claims typically would not stand up to controlled testing.

Choose filters (and other parts) based on ratings and specs. The odds of seeing a real difference in audio performance are.pretty small. For filters, my guess would be zero.

PostPosted: Aug Thu 08, 2019 7:07 pm 

How about this one: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/KEMET/PEG124YL2470QL1?qs=sGAEpiMZZMu3dWSqd4Tl0KeUtyFX9kcNNHX9X69Y0QM%3D
47uF, 450v, 377mA ripple current rating at 100Hz, and 27,500 hours at 105°C.
John