Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 14, 2019 5:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: CX201A verses CX301A
PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 3:22 am 

I have two schematics for the same radio (AtwaterKent 33), one list 201A and the other 301A tubes. I understand they are interchangeable but there must be some difference or why the different numbers ?.

Last edited by pauls.ironhorse on Aug Fri 09, 2019 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: CX201A verses CX301A
PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 3:53 am 

A 301A is a Cunningham brand 01A tube, the number "3" identifies the tube as Cunningham and the "X' signifies a base with long pins. The 201A tube is an RCA brand 01A tube, the number "2" identifies the tube as RCA and again the "X" signifies a base with long pins. The tubes are interchangeable.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 3:58 am 

Thanks for the info, I have been using them as interchangeable but I appreciate the clarification..

PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 1:10 pm 

Just where they were marketed. I thought I read that it was RCA in the east and C' ham in the western territory of distribution?

PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 3:15 pm 

It is even more basic, not only are the RCA and Cunningham tubes interchangeable, they are, in fact, the same tubes.

Elmer Cunningham was a West Coast independent who made an agreement with RCA ca 1920 to stop selling his own tubes and become a distributor for RCA. Both brands were sold nationwide. Part of Cunningham's special deal was that he got the tubes marked with his brand.

Most people do not realize also that RCA made no tubes or radios until 1930. The "Radio Corporation" was set up to combine the patent pools of American Marconi, Westinghouse, General Electric and Wireless Specialty Apparatus. The Radio Corporation was simply a distributor of merchandise and was also set up to control foreign commercial radio traffic. At the time, before consumer radio, RCA thought the commercial radio message business was going to be the big money maker.

So, until 1930, when thew Feds broke up the radio group, all of RCA's tubes were made by GE and Westinghouse. The radios were mostly made by GE and Westinghouse, with a few made by WSA.

in 1926, RCA had gotten a partial interest in Cunningham, and they acquired the rest of it in 1930. When the Radiotron division was formed in 1930, Elmer Cunningham became its first president.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 3:41 pm 

Thanks Jim, interesting history.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 4:53 pm 

While scanning some radios I found this tag, shows how closely connected the big three, RCA, GE, Westinghouse, yet the radio is made by a forth, the big three held the patents...

Attachments:
zzzzz8aug09_2019.jpg
zzzzz8aug09_2019.jpg [ 206.87 KiB | Viewed 469 times ]

PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 10:45 pm 

Another big patent holder from the old days was AT&T / Western Electric. You'll find their patent numbers on vintage broadcast and theatre sound equipment. Back in those days, you didn't dare to into the radio or sound equipment business without paying royalties to the "big guys", as all those patents were still in force.

PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 10:57 pm 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
While scanning some radios I found this tag, shows how closely connected the big three, RCA, GE, Westinghouse, yet the radio is made by a forth, the big three held the patents...

You'll see early tubes with two or three brand names on them. :shock:

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Aug Fri 09, 2019 11:56 pm 

Jim Cross wrote:
It is even more basic, not only are the RCA and Cunningham tubes interchangeable, they are, in fact, the same tubes.

Elmer Cunningham was a West Coast independent who made an agreement with RCA ca 1920 to stop selling his own tubes and become a distributor for RCA. Both brands were sold nationwide. Part of Cunningham's special deal was that he got the tubes marked with his brand.

Most people do not realize also that RCA made no tubes or radios until 1930. The "Radio Corporation" was set up to combine the patent pools of American Marconi, Westinghouse, General Electric and Wireless Specialty Apparatus. The Radio Corporation was simply a distributor of merchandise and was also set up to control foreign commercial radio traffic. At the time, before consumer radio, RCA thought the commercial radio message business was going to be the big money maker.

So, until 1930, when thew Feds broke up the radio group, all of RCA's tubes were made by GE and Westinghouse. The radios were mostly made by GE and Westinghouse, with a few made by WSA.

in 1926, RCA had gotten a partial interest in Cunningham, and they acquired the rest of it in 1930. When the Radiotron division was formed in 1930, Elmer Cunningham became its first president.

+1