Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 06, 2020 12:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: INCAPSULATED DIODE STRING: GE 4JA421EX12S
PostPosted: Aug Tue 27, 2019 3:39 pm 

Gents:

Does anyone have a data sheet on the above GE Diode composite ?

Thanks,

Jack Cureton
704-564-0366

Post subject: Re: INCAPSULATED DIODE STRING: GE 4JA421EX12S
PostPosted: Aug Tue 27, 2019 5:59 pm 

DoD data says it's in single phase doubler configuration and made of silicon diodes. Doubler configuration is typically 2 diodes. This also jives with DoD's characteristics showing 3 terminals. NSN 5961009814886

Attachment:
GEDoubler.gif
GEDoubler.gif [ 7.62 KiB | Viewed 1013 times ]

Voltage and ampere ratings are not telling via the GE Data at Internet Archive or any of the brokers.

GE merged with RCA, which was bought out by Harris, and later, Intersil. It's tough getting GE Data of any vintage that isn't already out there.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 27, 2019 7:09 pm 

Thanks, Brian.

Other knowledgeable inputs please.

Jack

PostPosted: Aug Tue 27, 2019 8:55 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
DoD data says it's in single phase doubler configuration and made of silicon diodes. Doubler configuration is typically 2 diodes. This also jives with DoD's characteristics showing 3 terminals. NSN 5961009814886

Attachment:
GEDoubler.gif

Voltage and ampere ratings are not telling via the GE Data at Internet Archive or any of the brokers.

GE merged with RCA, which was bought out by Harris, and later, Intersil. It's tough getting GE Data of any vintage that isn't already out there.

Brian, Please tell me about DoD data or database.

Jack Cureton

PostPosted: Aug Tue 27, 2019 9:11 pm 

Jack, It's all on Webflis, the DoD's logistics program for commercial and individuals. DoD uses either Haystack CD Array or FEDLOG, a desktop application.

All of the above are fed by the US DoD's logistics database(s), generally served by Inventory Control Points, Defense Supply Centers, and commercial entities that are contracted to maintain some stock codes.

Most of the brokers that turn up in a google search for a part number will seem to have an item by the data they have. 90% of the time, they are parroting DoD data and some distributor data.

Attached is a PDF of the FEDLOG data for your diode array.
Attachment:
4886.pdf [38.5 KiB]
Downloaded 45 times

PostPosted: Aug Wed 28, 2019 1:48 am 

Quote:
GE merged with RCA, which was bought out by Harris, and later, Intersil. It's tough getting GE Data of any vintage that isn't already out there

The Syracuse side of GE went with RCA. Power diodes were made in Auburn which merged with Westinghouse in 1986 to become Powerex.

Rich

PostPosted: Aug Wed 28, 2019 2:13 am 

Rich, W3HWJ wrote:
Quote:
GE merged with RCA, which was bought out by Harris, and later, Intersil. It's tough getting GE Data of any vintage that isn't already out there

The Syracuse side of GE went with RCA. Power diodes were made in Auburn which merged with Westinghouse in 1986 to become Powerex.

Rich

Hockey pucks, yes, but discrete rectifiers all have a source code for RCA/GE after 1988.

Germane to the discussion:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?thread ... er.640560/

Pic and all. Well, except for the OT silliness later in the thread.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 28, 2019 2:25 am 

It's definitely a HV diode, but what PIV/mA rating is anyone's guess. It's application is abbreviated "GAS GRAIN PWR SU"

Performing a WEBFLIS wild-card search using just 4JA421* (eliminates the package and configuration suffixing) yields a handful of GE HV devices, from 1600PIV@390ma to a 16K PIV device t 10mA If. All are either half-wave, doubler or bridge configuration, with the l6KV device being 5.5 inches long and stud mounted like the OP's.

A search of "gas-grain" yields some interesting articles about plasma formation, so HV seems right in line with that.

PostPosted: Aug Wed 28, 2019 7:54 pm 

I was a part of the team that created Powerex in 1985-86.

GE kept all the exciting stuff, like power MOS, and mergered ALL the old stuff. We then did a "rationalization," that is eliminating any duplicate manufacturing of the same packages and specs. Shortly after, RCA picked up the "good" side of GE, but shortly everything went to Harris. I lost track after that, as I had gone to Siliconix to work on "good" stuff.

Both GE and Westinghouse made HV rectifier stacks. By 1980, neither of us made our own axial lead diodes. Too expensive to make in USA. The stack business got "rationalized" and later the specs and inventory were sold to a small third party. The business just wasn't very big any more.

Rich

PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2019 1:29 am 

Rich, W3HWJ wrote:

GE kept all the exciting stuff, like power MOS, and mergered ALL the old stuff. We then did a "rationalization," that is eliminating any duplicate manufacturing of the same packages and specs. Shortly after, RCA picked up the "good" side of GE, but shortly everything went to Harris. I lost track after that, as I had gone to Siliconix to work on "good" stuff.

Both GE and Westinghouse made HV rectifier stacks. By 1980, neither of us made our own axial lead diodes. Too expensive to make in USA. The stack business got "rationalized" and later the specs and inventory were sold to a small third party. The business just wasn't very big any more.

Rich

So, is it possible that any of the [buy-out] companies would have data sheets of what they inherited in their libraries ?

Jack; K4LRH

PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2019 2:50 am 

Jack Cureton wrote:
Rich, W3HWJ wrote:

Rich

So, is it possible that any of the [buy-out] companies would have data sheets of what they inherited in their libraries ?

Jack; K4LRH

Considering who GE made the stack for (Defense Companies), not likely. NDAs galore there - some have 99-year lives, meaning no one outside of the two agreement signers will ever know. It kills lots of MIL surplus items like yours.

Here's a simple method that works well - it won't give you parameters, but tell you in a GO/NO-GO fashion if it is likely good. The only true test is under load in the circuit it's designed for. Got a Gas-Grain HV Power Supply? :D

https://www.repairfaq.org/REPAIR/F_micf ... MICFAQ_003

PostPosted: Aug Thu 29, 2019 7:08 am 

We did not have many NDAs. Non Disclosure Agreements. I didn't really experience NDAs till I got to Silicon Valley in '86. Defense suppliers, like Collins, had specs. We quoted a price based on their specs. If it was marked with a Collins part number, we would not sell that spec to anyone but Collins and the US Govt. If we marked it with our part number, we could sell to anyone.

4JA421EX12S looks like a typical GE number pattern.

HV stacks were nearly 100% special order. We didn't inventory them and our distributors didn't stock them.

Rich

PostPosted: Sep Mon 02, 2019 3:13 am 

Rich, W3HWJ wrote:
We did not have many NDAs. Non Disclosure Agreements. I didn't really experience NDAs till I got to Silicon Valley in '86. Defense suppliers, like Collins, had specs. We quoted a price based on their specs. If it was marked with a Collins part number, we would not sell that spec to anyone but Collins and the US Govt. If we marked it with our part number, we could sell to anyone.

4JA421EX12S looks like a typical GE number pattern.

HV stacks were nearly 100% special order. We didn't inventory them and our distributors didn't stock them.

Rich

Rich, Through the kindness of a local community college, I now have X-rays of the diode composite. What data type info do you conclude from them ?

Jack; K4LRH

PostPosted: Sep Tue 03, 2019 2:54 am 

Did post the X-ray images?

Rich

PostPosted: Sep Tue 03, 2019 3:55 am 

Rich, W3HWJ wrote:
Did post the X-ray images?

Rich

No luck uploading images. I don't know how to decrease pixel size. They're on QRZ if anyone wants to take a look.

Jack; K4LRH