Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 16, 2021 3:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 74LS02 iCs getting scarce..
PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 4:56 pm 

I needed several 74LSxx variety ICs for a board repair. I was surprised to discover the DIP packages were out of stock at Mouser and Digikey! Factory backorders, and they are not stocking huge quantities as they did the past. Jameco had them in stock.

I'm also noticing the supply of MRF-150A devices are also slowly fading from view :)

Post subject: Re: 74LS02 iCs getting scarce..
PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 5:42 pm 

"Trough hole" packaged parts are no longer used in the industry and were all replaced by SMD devices. Demand has collapsed and suppliers have adapted their stocks accordingly and/or stopped manufacturing these parts. Nearly ALL "through hole" electronic parts are now considered as "obsolete" and supply will dwindling in the years to come. Also, 74xxxx series logic chips are considered as "prehistoric" parts and won't be remanufactured again. There should be still millions of these in dormant stocks at various parts suppliers warehouses but since there's is no demand and turnover is very low they'll very likely end up scrapped one day.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 5:52 pm 

I agree. They are not "scarce," they are just in the wrong places.

If you can find the SMD equivalent, you can always use an adapter board and "Molex" pins to make a workable DIP.

I had to make my own boards to convert 10mm IF transformers to fit on a 2.54mm spaced proto board.

https://antiqueradios.com/forums/viewto ... 9&t=390262

https://media.digikey.com/Photos/Aries/LCQT-SOIC8-8.JPG

Rich

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 7:05 pm 

Another option is SMD to thru hole socket adapters like this one.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Ar ... CsQAvD_BwE

They also make solderless ones.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 10, 2021 7:08 pm 

I'd be substituting 74HCTxxx parts. Much newer, lower power and still available.

They will work except when use with R/C delays (analog circuits.)

As an engineer, I stopped using 74LSxxx in the early '80s. HCT took over very fast at the time.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 1:17 am 

There are hundreds of thousands of semiconductors that were once popular but are now obsolete, forgotten, and unavailable except through surplus channels. 74LS small scale logic chips in DIP had their day and for the most part are following the pattern towards oblivion. 74LS02 in DIP is probably seldom used if at all in new designs, but if you just need a few to keep a piece of gear going it appears there are still tons of them for sale on eBay.

Thomas A. Edison

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 1:36 am 

try rochester electronics $3

https://www.rocelec.com/search?q=74ls02

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 1:06 pm 

Pbpix wrote:

Thanks Peter. I never heard of them and I just bookmarked them.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 3:52 pm 

What about looking at ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/161227039623?h ... SwLh9hCHEI

I have flying monkeys and I know how to use them.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 5:09 pm 

Peter,

I have:

2 74LS02,
2 74ALS02,
1 74F02, and
15 74HCT02 ICs.

You can have any, or all, of them for postage.

All plastic DIP. I have no need for them. Bought & used them decades ago. These are just leftovers. PM me, if interested.

Surface mount sales, exceeded "through hole" sales ~1995. That's more than a quarter century, now. In addition to that, 3.3V logic replaced 5V logic, too, many years ago.

The only old logic family, that's still got some use is 4000 series CMOS, mostly because of it versatility. It can operate with supplies ranging from 3V to 18V.

When it comes to most logic circuits, programmable logic (PLDs to FPGAs) has mostly supplanted fixed logic in most areas. With existing logic, whole bus buffers, are used more than gate packages. Also a lot of custom chips, if the production volume justifies it.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 11, 2021 6:49 pm 

Scott wrote:
Pbpix wrote:

Thanks Peter. I never heard of them and I just bookmarked them.

Yeah.. they specialize in maintaining a supply of discontinued or hard to find semiconductors.. and they are an authorized distributor.

I received some fake/counterfiet OP-275 op-amps via some Asian ebay seller ... who actually admitted they were fake and refunded me.
I only determined they were fake when the current draw per chip was twice that specified on the Analog Devices datasheet.
I contacted Analog Devices. who makes the op-275, to ask if there was any foolproof way of detecting fakes.
The sales rep told me that counterfiets were the biggest problem in the industry and the only/best way to avod them is by ONLY purchasing from authorized distributors like Newark, Digikey, Mouser etc. And from other trusted authorized resellers such as Rochester !

That's how I found them.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 1:07 am 

Nasco is another broker we use at work. They have some fancy x-ray technology that allows them to examine the dies inside the device to detect counterfeits. We have great results with them on obsolete chips (but they aren't cheap)

PostPosted: Sep Sun 12, 2021 1:48 pm 

Thanks for the offers, but as I mentioned Jameco had a large supply of them for a decent price. What was surprising is that all of the other 74L$xx devices were in stock and available and just the LS02 chips were backordered. I'd rather not buy semiconductors on eBay since most of them come from China despite the seller's shown location. The radio is a JRC transmitter and I'd rather keep it original since it is a fairly scarce transmitter.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 12:47 am 

Attachment:
46287.jpg
46287.jpg [ 14.11 KiB | Viewed 568 times ]
https://www.jameco.com/z/74LS02-Major-Brands-IC-74LS02-QUAD-2-INPUT-POSITIVE-NOR-GATE_46287.html

It's interesting that Jameco's illustration for the 74LS02 they are selling shows a 8506 date code. That might be just what you get, too. It's safe to say that Motorola doesn't make those new any more.

Ted

PostPosted: Sep Mon 13, 2021 1:04 am 

Usually Lurking wrote:
Attachment:
46287.jpg
https://www.jameco.com/z/74LS02-Major-Brands-IC-74LS02-QUAD-2-INPUT-POSITIVE-NOR-GATE_46287.html

It's interesting that Jameco's illustration for the 74LS02 they are selling shows a 8506 date code. That might be just what you get, too. It's safe to say that Motorola doesn't make those new any more.

Ted
Some of the parts Jameco sells are pulls out of boards. Others are old stock. Ordered some one-time programmable chips and they were already programmed. Like buying used flashbulbs.

Their printed catalogs used to show the catalog number for used parts or old stock in a different color. Seems they now just show them as "various manufacturers".

Used to use Jameco a lot and still like them for some things but I wish they were more transparent.