Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sat 27, 2021 6:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A 1920s 3V power tube for 7.5V C @ 112V B?
PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 6:28 am 

I just bought a Kemper K-5-2 portable set from 1926-1927. It currently has five UX-199s, but the battery diagram calls for a 3V power tube "designed for 7 1/2 volt C at 112 volts plate." 112V B+ with 7.5V C- doesn't match up with a UX-120. What other 3V power tube would have been available at the time?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: A 1920s 3V power tube for 7.5V C @ 112V B?
PostPosted: Oct Thu 14, 2021 3:08 pm 

I could be way off -- I haven't looked for specs -- but I once owned one of these and I remember reading somewhere that one of the tubes was supposed to be a Van Horn. I remember the pictorial in the back of mine clearly showed the outline of a globe-shaped tube when the others were the tubular '99 types. I remember it as being very microphonic.

Chris

PostPosted: Oct Fri 15, 2021 5:42 am 

We have the same name!

Indeed. I've seen another Kemper where the label on the battery box door specifies a Van Horne 3V-AX tube. I have yet to find one, a picture, or a period ad for one. Maybe I should just change my B and C voltage and use a UX-199 or a UX-120 instead.

Chris Rini

PostPosted: Oct Fri 15, 2021 2:47 pm 

Chris, you didn't happen to get yours from a local did you? When I sold mine I was living in Palos Verdes and it went to an older guy near you -- or maybe it was Long Beach -- I'd occasionally see at SCARS events. Cabinet was scruffy but intact and it had two small, round, period vernier dials that I haven't seen in the advertising for this model but had no doubt they were original. Sort of like the National type B dials but miniature and more round. Anyway, others on here at the time said to use a type 120 for the audio. The Van Horne's are as rare as hen's teeth and have a 5 volt filament and the outline clearly shows a globe shaped tube. Good luck shoehorning one in to the tube lineup. I don't think anything globe-shaped would even fit.

Chris

PostPosted: Oct Sat 16, 2021 7:54 am 

No, this set came from Ohio, but I think it was originally sold in Oakland, CA. Most Kempers I've seen in pictures have Kurz-Kasch Aristocrat vernier dials, but I've seen one that appears to have Mar-Co vernier dials. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Kemper or an original owner substituted dials.

I won't worry about the Van Horne tube. I live about 30 miles south of Los Angeles, so it'll be fun to get the set playing and maybe take it up to the city and photograph it in front of the factory building.