PANEL METERS - what to do with thousands of them

Discussions of tubes, transformers, capacitors, and other discrete parts of radios, radio restoration and repair services. Ads are not permitted.
Barry H Bennett
Nov Wed 30, 2016 6:35 pm
Sunbury, Ohio 43074

Re: PANEL METERS - what to do with thousands of them

Post by Barry H Bennett »

Question: Is it the consensus of folks here that any meter with "oddball" scales is probably not worth the space they take up? Some of these 'undersirables' might be:

% Modulation
Good-?-Bad scales with no other markings
Thermocouple types
Elapsed Time (mechanical)
Antenna Current

.....Stuff like these, maybe give one try at a hamfest then send them to auction ? Or my stained oak meter display panels lol.
Preserving the hist. of electronics, one boat anchor at a time! :)
https://www.bbtvtestequipment.com
Braithwaite
Nov Sun 04, 2007 5:01 am
Redding, CA

Post by Braithwaite »

Barry H Bennett wrote: Are you telling me that there's not much call for "% Modulation, or RF Current Squared" scales ?? lol
Pause that thought! I'll pay $100 for the correct current squared meter for the early RCA tube tester below (3rd meter, incorrect meter shown). I am looking through my archives for a photo of the correct meter or for that matter a photo of the tube tester with the correct meter installed. The correct current squared meter is unique in that the meter scale is something like 45-degrees centered rather than the usual 90-degrees centered. I believe but am not certain that the manufacturer was Weston.
20231120_141945_resized.jpg
If anyone has a picture of the correct meter or complete original instrument, please post!

Norman
"No home is complete without music" - Capehart Sound Amplifying and Distributing Systems
Scott
Jan Thu 01, 1970 12:00 am
Apex, NC 27523

Post by Scott »

That is really neat Norman.
Braithwaite
Redding, CA

Post by Braithwaite »

Scott wrote:That is really neat Norman.
And rare! One sold at the Muchow Auction for $2500. Still looking for my documentation of the correct current squared meter. If I can get the correct scale graphics, I may be able to modify the common Weston 425 meter for correct appearance and operation. Incidentally, behind the brass front panel is an engraved bakelite panel with a couple fewer tube types listed.

Norman
"No home is complete without music" - Capehart Sound Amplifying and Distributing Systems
Barry H Bennett
Sunbury, Ohio 43074

Pause that thought!
Just thinking at this point. Only meters going in the auction box are bad ones, or mechanical event counters. Very few of either so far, so thousands will survive the first cut. That'd be most of them :)
Barry H Bennett
Sunbury, Ohio 43074

Neat old tester, btw. I might be willing to part with $250 for it, but $2,500? Yikes!!

I'll keep my eyes open for a meter. In the meantime, you can check the listing at the old PTOP website where most of them were listed, but it's a little challenging, for me at least, to search the text files there. That's why I've converted it to Excel, but it was only "so good" of a conversion and if I list them later, I'll have a lot of work to do manually on the spreadsheet.

Oh well. Lots of Westons in the few boxes I've checked so far, but nothing close to yours.
Indiana Radios
Sep Thu 14, 2006 2:27 pm
Carmel, Indiana

Post by Indiana Radios »

I've got a few meters on radios in which the meter cases aren't in all that great of condition. I'd be open to buying some low value meters that have the correct cases in nice condition. Maybe you could offer complete empty cases that are in nice condition.
Michael Feldt
www.indianaradios.com
Braithwaite
Redding, CA

Post by Braithwaite »

Good point. Brass meter cases are worth saving to replace ones that have split behind the face.

Norman
Barry H Bennett
Sunbury, Ohio 43074

I'm not intending to scrap any just yet :mrgreen:
Jthorusen
Nov Mon 02, 2009 6:01 am
Lincoln City, OR. 97367

Post by Jthorusen »

Barry H Bennett wrote:Question: Is it the consensus of folks here that any meter with "oddball" scales is probably not worth the space they take up? Some of these 'undersirables' might be:

% Modulation
Good-?-Bad scales with no other markings
Thermocouple types
Elapsed Time (mechanical)
Antenna Current

.....Stuff like these, maybe give one try at a hamfest then send them to auction ? Or my stained oak meter display panels lol.
Hi Barry!

I might have a use for % Modulation meters and also Antenna Current Meters. I do have one that with an unusual scale that I bet you don't have.... although, with 2800 meters, maybe you do....
TILT meter.JPG
:D

Regards,
Jim T.
KB6GM
Palus delenda est.
Barry H Bennett
Sunbury, Ohio 43074

<sigh> I have not seen a "TILT" meter yet. If I come across it, I think I'll embed it into my chest as if I were Iron Man. Looks like I will have to keep 2,800 meters in perpetuity :) NOT
PhilF
Monte Vista, CO

Post by PhilF »

Barry H Bennett wrote:Looks like I will have to keep 2,800 meters in perpetuity :) NOT
You have to admit that those meters have made you quite the popular member recently... :)
Barry H Bennett
Sunbury, Ohio 43074

PhilF wrote:
Barry H Bennett wrote:Looks like I will have to keep 2,800 meters in perpetuity :) NOT
You have to admit that those meters have made you quite the popular member recently... :)
I, Barry H Bennett, being of sound mind* and body, do hereby relinquish all claims to popularity, either expressed or implied, from here to eternity.

*depends upon the unit of measure, and to what its compared
Scott
Apex, NC 27523

Post by Scott »

At least you know that people are willing to pay good money for the right meters, so I assume this thread was helpful to you.
Barry H Bennett
Sunbury, Ohio 43074

It has been extremely helpful, and i appreciate all the responses. My goal here is not to make money however. That would be a bonus, but I'd just as soon pass the entire lot on to someone else that might want to make a business out of it. The entire hoard is listed in the classifieds at present :)
Retired Radio Man
Jun Sat 09, 2007 7:14 am
Melbourne, Florida

Post by Retired Radio Man »

Scales don't matter. They can be changed. Full scale current is what is important.

RRM
Don Cavey
Fernandina Beach, FL 32034

Post by Don Cavey »

Barry H Bennett wrote:...
I, Barry H Bennett, being of sound mind* and body, do hereby relinquish all claims to popularity, either expressed or implied, from here to eternity.
*depends upon the unit of measure, and to what its compared
Somehow, I do not have a problem with believing this!!! :mrgreen:
Don
Barry H Bennett
Sunbury, Ohio 43074

Retired Radio Man wrote:Scales don't matter. They can be changed. Full scale current is what is important.RRM
They'll be listed both ways in the EXCEL spreadsheet, along with any other data I either put in there, or can transfer from the original text files. Probably photos as well, although in groups of perhaps a dozen or more, not individually.
Barry H Bennett
Sunbury, Ohio 43074

Update. I have decided to put an over abundance of effort into this project. To locate the “gooder ones” requires that I lay hands on every one of them. And to add to the time required, the text file inventory did not transfer well to Excel. Good Enough to help, but insufficient for my ultimate needs

So….. I am sorting them by size and shape first, while at the same time updating spreadsheet mostly with info from the original web files.

A lot of the old inventory stickers are coming unstuck, or have already popped off, adding even more time to the project.

At the end of ROUND ONE of sorting, I will have all the meters in about half the volume of space as before, and a fairly accurate inventory spreadsheet searchable or sortable by any parameter. Round two is yet to be determined, but may include photos

Handling every one is oddly fun. There are some real gems in this hoard, both in looks and probably in value, but on the flip side are thousands I won’t have a clue what to do with.

I am possibly 25%-35% of the way through working maybe 12 hours per week.

Stay tuned
fifties
Canyon Country, CA

Post by fifties »

Barry H Bennett wrote:

Stay tuned
On the edge of my seat, waiting for the next thrilling installment! :wink:
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST RADIOS WINS //////////////////
You must be register and login to post a reply.