Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Aug Fri 23, 2019 2:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: question for older folks: aging and aches and pains
PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 12:47 pm 

At some point this stuff comes at you out of nowhere, you could not imagine it from looking at old people, thus your sympathy for them is limited by the fact you feel OK and you cannot mentally grasp the concept of a chronic condition. I guess you have to experience it to understand. When you are younger you feel great in the morning, up and out of bed and before long going full speed, you cannot understand what getting up will feel like in the future. Some mornings I stay in bed till I cannot stand to lay there anymore but am groggy for a long time and stumble and knock things over etc. as if I had not slept hardly at all. Well, join the club and have fun.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 2:07 pm 

So many variables. So many. My cousin was (age 26) training for another marathon. She was tiring easily. Dead of cancer within 2 years. An aunt died at age 82. Smoked since she was 14.
Some of its genetics, some luck. But, do what’s within your control to stay healthy. A good cardio routine that doesn’t destroy your knees and maintain a healthy weight. I’m 68. They checked my veins for blockages/plaque. Perfectly clear. That’s what a regular cardio routine can do. But, again, sometimes you can do everything right and die in your 20s. Control what you can (weight, exercise, cardio) and hope some guy doesn’t run a red light or don’t you wake up one morning experiencing some genetic factor beyond your control.

And, I think stress may be more of a factor than we realize.

Btw......I felt good at 30 and about the same at 60. At 68, I’m noticing some wear and tear.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 2:27 pm 

I started coming down with arthritis at 57, in the right hip. It's spread since then, right hand, left foot and knee, lower back. Once you have this, it's seems like the whole game becomes just controlling the pain, and finding medicines that will do that. The ones that really work seem to all be addictive and illegal or both. I can take Ibuprofen, but at 57 I was taking one a day in the morning, now I take 3 every meal at 64. So I suspect this is just going to continue to get worse. I get what exercise I can, riding bikes and walking, but I find If I hurt enough certain days, I just can't, and these activities tend to cease.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 4:15 pm 

I came to exercise late in life. Although I started to use a gym in my mid-thirties, it was sporadic. I didn't really get serious about exercise until I hit 50 and decided to go climb Kilimanjaro, and I've kept it up ever since - basically running outside 4-6 miles 3 times a week. Any more and I start to get injuries. If a hip or a knee starts to complain, I back off a bit. Sadly, if I back off for a couple of weeks now, it pretty much feels like I'm starting from scratch.

If my body can't eventually take the pounding, I guess I'll figure out some other kind of exercise - probably a bike. After running, walking seems so slow.

Totally agree that gym machines are so boring.

But yeah. Each year it gets a little harder.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 4:48 pm 

So after talking with my wife I decided to do what she has been telling me I should be doing before I run: Stretch and warm up first. I never do that and tend to just open the door and take off. So today I spent a good 10 minutes or so stretching things, slowly warming up and so on. I also took an Ibuprofen. That seemed to make a bit of a difference. I guess I can't just immediately start doing things like I used to anymore.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 5:08 pm 

Recumbent bike. Reasonable cost. Doesn’t pound an aging body into even more problems. Boring? You’re probably only on it for 30-45 minutes.....read a book, watch tv, find a window with a view.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 5:23 pm 

Bob, I was also a runner and experienced lots of aches and pain. 15 years ago I switched to an elliptical machine and all was resolved. The machine is much easier on my aging body.

bobwilson1977 wrote:
as a little background, I tend to run roughly 7 miles, 4 days a week. So running is pretty important to me and I've done it ever since I was in college. not to toot my own horn but I've been pretty good at it and tend to finish in the upper levels of many races.

I guess what concerned me is I've never really had any aches and pains associated with running. I'm now starting to have those and it's becoming more noticeable over time. usually in the past I've been able to work through aches and pains but now it just seems like they stay with me longer. So, hopefully I'll figure it out

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 5:24 pm 

It started in my 30s. Aches and pains will get progressive worse. I tried to talk to Dr.s but they are not interested in vague symptoms. One branded me a hypochondriac. I had to change doctors. Avoid complete disclosure on aches an pains. Unless something is very wrong I now wait a month to call a doctor. Do your check ups and icky exams as directed.

Aches and pains can be arthritis. Not all arthritis shows up on the blood test. It runs in my family, I have it, it is taking my hands. Doctors do not help.

As for life style changes. Avoid injury but keep moving. Don't drink every day. Eat sparingly. Keep your A1C low.

Avoid elective surgery. Doctors are not good and fixing little problems. They often make it worse and you risk contracting nasty disease in the O.R. For instance, I had my appendix removed, I did not let them fix my rotator cuff. I refused a surgery with a significant chance to ruin my ability to enjoy life. The procedure did not make sense to me. The surgeon was later prosecuted for doing unnecessary surgery and his licence to practice was taken. Do your homework!

And very important, don't throw overhand. Both my father an I ruined our rotator cuffs in our late 40s.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 6:41 pm 

pixellany wrote:
At my age, I have limited ability to be sympathetic to those who have never owned a dial telephone or flat-head Ford, or watched the Lone Ranger on B&W TV......

>Hijack Alert<
I'll cop to the flathead V8 and of course dial telephones were all we ever had until the push-button affairs came out in the '70's (or was it the '60's?).
But I never cared for Clayton Moore or Jay Silverheels. The only actor that I would ID as a hero was William Boyd (Hopalong Cassidy).
>End Hijack<

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 8:01 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
So after talking with my wife I decided to do what she has been telling me I should be doing before I run: Stretch and warm up first. I never do that and tend to just open the door and take off. So today I spent a good 10 minutes or so stretching things, slowly warming up and so on. I also took an Ibuprofen. That seemed to make a bit of a difference. I guess I can't just immediately start doing things like I used to anymore.
You probably know this, shoes make a big diff for some people.
Running on pavement is hard on anyone's body, but worse for some than others. I was in my best physical shape at 40, now not so hot (69), but yesterday cycled 62 km, 40+ miles, and survived nicely, but am taking it easy today.
Got a flat tire 35 km from home and was thankful for the spare tube and air pump. A rim tape broke at the valve, exposing one spoke, and that popped the tube.

Anyway, at 40, I never felt aches and pains, but my wife did. She had the beginnings of rheumatoid arthritis, and it got progressively worse. Not trying to scare you, and she was pedaling alongside and ahead of me yesterday, but she takes a biologic drug, has been on various drugs for 20 years after 10 years of trying natural remedies.

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 9:58 pm 

Maybe we should get our exercise by bench pressing our radios and boat anchors :D

Dennis

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 12:02 pm 

Doctor told me that aches and pains are nature's way of telling you that you're not dead yet........

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 12:26 pm 

A belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY WILLIAM... I baked you a Five-O cake!
It tastes grrrrrreat... :)

Greg.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 12:58 pm 

This has always worked without fail for me for arthritis:
Give up sugar and fatty foods and exercise as much as possible.
Sounds simple? It is.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 1:27 pm 

No aches or pains yet but I don't have the stamina I used to have. One benefit of getting older is that I don't have to wear glasses anymore to drive. Eye doctor said eyes get more farsighted as we age and since I was nearsighted I'm getting closer to normal.

Doug

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 3:09 pm 

I turn 60 in 6 days.
Yes, more things hurt, and it takes longer to recover from injuries.

One thing I strongly believe is that you have to keep moving.
That means different things to different people depending on age and infirmities.

But the longer you stay physically active, within your abilities, the longer you can live an independent lifestyle.

That sounds easy, but the recliner is always calling my name. :D

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 4:13 pm 

I'm 68 3/4s, and yeah, things change a lot over the years. One thing that I developed before I retired was "trigger finger." Nothing like having your index finger lock up on you. Even as I type, it's bothering me a bit. I got it from running a drill motor putting holes in steel panels for building industrial control panels. When you drill hundreds of holes in one every few days, things are bound to act up. And this year, cleaning the gutters makes my thighs ache. Never did before. Ugh. And I still have another70 feet to go. Wondering if the OP has had a bone density check?
RW

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 4:54 pm 

I'm 85 and didn't start with problems till I was 80 years old. Everyones makeup is different and time will tell. :)

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 1:59 am 

Two things I discovered in recent years help - massages, and saunas (steam, dry, and the pools).

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 2:19 am 

I Went running 7 miles today and it was pretty painful. Its sort of depressing when something you love to do becomes not exactly enjoyable. I think I probably pulled something because it doesn't really hurt until I start running. The worse part is try as I might I am definitely favoring the other leg which is throwing everything out of balance. Now all kinds of other muscles are sore as hell. I found out that they offer muscle training courses at the corp. headquarters gym. It might be time to look into that.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 57 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next