Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Sep Tue 17, 2019 8:08 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: How do I sell a Grundig SO 360 U/S Stereo Console?
PostPosted: Sep Mon 02, 2019 4:27 am 

I hope I am doing/asking this in the right spot. I have a Grundig SO 360 U/S Stereo Console that I want to sell. The unit itself is in okay condition from the outside but the internals are not that great. I turns on the short wave tuner moves, the FM one doesn't. The phonograph doesn't seem to work either. It's been in the basement for many, many years. I don't know how to assess its value, I believe it has some.

I am in the Chicago area and would like to sell it. Any ideas on how I go about this?

Please help if you can.

Thanks!
Fred

Post subject: Re: How do I sell a Grundig SO 360 U/S Stereo Console?
PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 3:06 am 

Hello Fred.

Try the http://vintagehifi.net/ site.
There is a Classified forum here, near the bottom of the index. You will need to Edit your Profile to include your approx location.

A Grundig console that needs work and a truck or van to haul it? Try $50. Or donate it to a charity and they may come and get it.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 1:38 pm 

There's a paradox here.....I repair a lot of German consoles. When something has "been in the family" for many years, owners are willing to put out the money to get them running. But the market value--especially if they are not serviced---is pretty low.

Put it on EBay or Craigslist and let the market decide....

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 4:36 pm 

Is this one yours? https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/ele/ ... 65738.html
If so, the asking price is quite high given the need for repair work on both the radio and the changer. The fact is that these units are in need of a full overhaul which is quite expensive for a repair technician to do....if you can even find one. Good luck.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 6:19 pm 

The museum I volunteer at sold one of these for almost $1,000. That said the one we sold was in nearly pristine condition, I had fully overhauled the electronics, record player, added bluetooth, and polished/buffed the cabinet. It was at least a solid week's worth of after hours work to get this done. This style of console is now in extremely high demand and we could've asked more since numerous people came by our booth asking how much it had sold for,cursing themselves that they had gotten there later. But these kinds of buyers want these to work perfectly and are not technically inclined to do so either. As such the console you have has a few strikes against it. With not working the price will be dramatically lower. As in $250-$300 is probably a realistic price.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 8:35 pm 

The numbers Bob mentioned above might hold true in California, but here in the midwest it's probably a $50 item as found and not restored, IF a buyer can be found. If it's the one in the ad linked to, the price is out of line by a factor of about 10. Of course, there's always that one chance in a million that a buyer might be willing to pay more than it's worth particularly if they like the design of the cabinet, or if someone in their family had a unit of the same brand back when they were new.

There are a lot more 60's stereo consoles surviving than there are people who want to own one, and the number of people with the technical skills to do the repair themselves keeps the pool of potential buyers pretty low. Paying a professional technician to do the needed repairs would cost much more than the set could ever be sold for in the midwest.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 10:12 pm 

You have to add in the CHRS "pedigree" to that $1000 paid - ask $100, tell the truth, and negotiate.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 10:21 pm 

You guys know the market where you live. But these kinds of stereos have shot through the roof.
https://www.chairish.com/product/156423 ... e6EALw_wcB

I don't want to sound rude but the $50 suggestion is way off. We were amazed we got what we did for the one we had. But this has been gradually becoming a very hot item. 4-5 years ago we were thrilled to get $150 for one of these. But gradually over time that went from $150-$250, $300-$450, and now? If its a nice piece with the right styling and its been overhauled? It seems that for whatever reason the values have skyrocketed. I will digress: if you live in Bum*&%^ Idaho or far outside a major city then sure- the value is going to be lower. But Chicago where this guy lives? Its going to be a similar market to where I live.

As far as the CHRS Pedigree, nobody really knows who we are at these shows. Its just that people want this kind of thing in a major way.

Bottom line: These are now probably the most valuable consoles out there with the exception of some of the super high end Scott, Zenith, and whatever models. So if you guys see these... buy em'

PostPosted: Sep Thu 05, 2019 11:43 pm 

allow me to paraphrase the thread so far:

Quote:
How do I sell a Grundig XYZ console?

Verrrry Carefully....:)

PostPosted: Sep Fri 06, 2019 2:58 am 

In my neck of the woods, you would have to pay someone to take it away.

No kiddin'
Greg.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 10, 2019 9:25 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
You guys know the market where you live. But these kinds of stereos have shot through the roof.
https://www.chairish.com/product/156423 ... e6EALw_wcB

I don't want to sound rude but the $50 suggestion is way off. We were amazed we got what we did for the one we had. But this has been gradually becoming a very hot item. 4-5 years ago we were thrilled to get $150 for one of these. But gradually over time that went from $150-$250, $300-$450, and now? If its a nice piece with the right styling and its been overhauled? It seems that for whatever reason the values have skyrocketed. I will digress: if you live in Bum*&%^ Idaho or far outside a major city then sure- the value is going to be lower. But Chicago where this guy lives? Its going to be a similar market to where I live.

As far as the CHRS Pedigree, nobody really knows who we are at these shows. Its just that people want this kind of thing in a major way.

Bottom line: These are now probably the most valuable consoles out there with the exception of some of the super high end Scott, Zenith, and whatever models. So if you guys see these... buy em'

West coast prices are pretty much a league all their own, and they do not dictate pricing for the rest of the market. Do they influence? Yes, a little. One has to remember that west coast prices are only about 8%-10% of the market. If not then less. West coast prices will always be inflated triple and quadruple more than the rest of the country. It matters not if you live out in the middle of Idaho or in the middle of NYC. That's a very poor comparison when gauging the value of something compared to West coast prices. In the case of old radio and televisions supply and demand conventions are thwarted by the majority. I'm on the east coast, and even in NYC, Atlanta, Chicago, Nashville, Detroit, etc, prices for consoles like this are pretty steady in that they maintain a $50-$100 price range. And as Mr. Detrola stated that's IF one can find an interested party. There are many of these advertised for much more than $100, but they rarely actually sell. Compared to how few are interested in having one of these and how badly the market is flooded with consoles like this there are far too many of these still out there to merit this $200-$500 trend regardless of condition. Just this year I've come home with three of these. I paid $10 for one, $30 for another, and the third one was free. Two of them even came with the free standing loud speaker! All three were in spectacular shape. I repaired them and literally gave them away. Granted, none of the aforementioned is to elude to the idea that some never sell for $200-$500. There are always anomalies in any market, but anomalies are just that.......anomalies. They haven't any influence on the market, and very few pay attention to them when the other 95% of the consoles are priced much differently. If one is in this for the money then they're in the wrong hobby.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 10, 2019 9:57 pm 

Sorry but I grew up setting up with my parents at antique shows throughout the country. While yes- regional prices will vary, trends in what happens to be collectible tends to be nationwide and especially these days with the internet. California isn't unique when it comes to whatever happens to be popular.

The fact of the matter is that Danish and Midcentury modern styled furniture and the like has been popular for the better part of a decade. Shows like Mad Men made it even more so. Many of these consoles happen to be styled along those lines and hence why their values have gone up.

For example, here's one listed in Pennsylvania for $500.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mid-Century-Mo ... SwEhNdHUpg

And another in NJ for $1300
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mid-Century-Vi ... Sw5atb7aIr

And another in Virginia for $400
https://www.ebay.com/itm/vintage-magnav ... SwnstdOPGp

Another in TX for $500
https://www.ebay.com/itm/antique-stereo ... Sw1Vxcq5pM

I could go on but you see the trend, right?

Anyway, take a look at what things are selling for in your area, make a call, price accordingly...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 9:00 am 

Ah. Your having grown up around selling antiques explains a lot about your mindset on this subject matter. Even so, may I remind you that the buyer(s) dictate value, not antique dealers or any other retail business for that matter. Regarding the links you posted......I've seen some of those. Though, Have you considered that they likely won't sell at those prices, as well as how long some of them have been listed? It's all hype, and fewer and fewer people are willing to give into it. I'm not denying the recent interest in mid century modern design. I'm simply saying that there is no need to jack up the price of something just because it becomes a trend or in demand. Doing so is nothing but greed, and greed is a color that nobody wears well. The majority of people, of whom would never pay those high prices, are the ones that put food on our table at the end of the day. If I were in retail the last thing I'd want to do is become "that guy that always charges too much". Then again, everyone is free to do as they wish, and I respect that. I won't try to convince you otherwise, we've both stated our views, and that's all we can do.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 2:36 pm 

I sell everything not for me but for the museum I volunteer at
where 100% of the proceeds go. I'm not doing this for whatever perceived greed implied or financial gain. The last German console I restored took probably at least 20 hours to complete. I take zero compensation for the parts or labor.

The truth of the matter is that for whatever reason there seems to be a distinct lag among old school radio collectors when it comes to these particular kinds of consoles. And their current values. Yes- I too recall when we would have to trash these things. But that's not the case now. It's not accurate to proclaim " you would be lucky to get $50 for it" anymore.

After having sold these for years my experience with these is:
A: the buyers are not radio collectors.
B: the buyers tend to have deeper pockets and or are leaning towards upper middle class
C: The value of anything "mid-century modern" has been rather high and that goes for furniture, interior decor and even stereo consoles that also have that "look".

But either way look at recent local sales, draw comparisons and make a decision...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 4:54 pm 

It's also an issue of plain old "supply and demand". The reason these things go cheaper in Chicago is because there's tons of them still out there. Don't forget that Chicago was a major manufacturing center for these consoles and they were heavily promoted in their heyday. Zenith, a very popular brand, was located here. Many smaller OEMs also produced goods here. The Grundig importer during those years, Majestic International, was also located in Chicago. Grundig was sold in many of the better department stores and had very good market penetration in this area. We see a lot of it. What I see with the consoles is some isolated interest among certain groups, but nothing approaching a main stream demand. I've restored my share of Grundig consoles, and most people who contact me for work shy away when they hear what the cost would be to get them running properly. The changers are generally beyond economical repair and replacements are required that won't chew up their records. The electronics are just like the table sets, requiring wholesale replacement of capacitors and other parts. And it's not like there's a lot of options out there for repair people for these. I'm one of the few left in the Chicago area that will still work on them. Often, people will call me and say they bought a console at a resale shop or off Craigslist, and paid $100 or so for it. When I give them the estimate on the repair, they are often surprised at the cost. This is their first experience with 50's and 60s electronics and they have no idea what's involved. More than a few will give up and shoehorn in some modern components, or use it as a TV stand (or bar).

PostPosted: Sep Thu 12, 2019 5:12 pm 

The other thing we've found is that... STYLE is absolutely everything. For example about a year ago I restored a 50's era Motorola stereo with the 3 channel amp with center bass channel. Fantastic sounding set with a more robust and easy to service chassis using nice, cheap tubes like 6V6 and 12AX7's. I have one myself. Both are in the "American Provincial" style. Both are almost worthless. I almost had to give away the other one.

OTOH... I've sold a few cheapy-cheap American consoles like a Packard Bell or some sort of bottom of the barrel bargain basement models with puny little amplifiers for $500+ just because its got that lovely jet-age , Danish modern, man cave cocktail lounge styling. People seem to put that over sound quality. Personally I'd rather have my ugly as sin but amazing sounding Motorola than something that looks cool yet has subpar sound.