Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sat 19, 2019 1:25 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Leigh Bassett AK Site
PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 12:50 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Scott wrote:
I have yet to ever need anything from RM. I would rather take that $35 per year and donate it here.
What makes you think it costs $35 per year to use Radiomuseum? That is incorrect. I've never paid to use Radiomuseum, except perhaps some small initial amount.

It was posted above, maybe incorrectly. RM's website says that there is a $25 initial membership fee and no further fees if you are a "bit active". What a "bit active" means is unknown to me, but their website does say that "You contribute with some uploads of data and or pictures/schematics etc. but also can pay a further one time fee to get the points for more download."

Now to be clear, we are not here to debate the merits of RM. Let's not go that path. Rather Leigh, in his own words, wanted his information to be free to all, so that is the preferred route.

I think Alan's offer to host Leigh's website here is the answer. Thank you Alan.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 1:30 pm 

Leigh was a member here and also wanted his site to remain free. In fact on his obituary page there is a link for online condolences by his family to this very site. Seems the perfect place to host it right here on this site and also respect what he wanted.

Ken

PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 2:21 pm 

It's great to see so many wanting the website to continue on, and as for now, I've mirrored Leigh's website to my local computer - it's 280MB in size.

Attachment:
AtwaterKentInfo.jpg
AtwaterKentInfo.jpg [ 147.62 KiB | Viewed 300 times ]

The Wayback Machine at the Internet Archive doesn't archive PDFs and other attachments, so only HTML files reside there.

I wonder if a ZIP'd image of his entire website could be submitted to the Internet Archive for download via Http download or torrent. Sure, it's be a snapshot of how it is now, but it would preserve what is already there for all to have access to. The IA has several old sites archived with all the "fixins" already, but no electronics/antique radio sites archived in their entirety.

PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 3:01 pm 

Scott wrote:

Now to be clear, we are not here to debate the merits of RM. Let's not go that path. Rather Leigh, in his own words, wanted his information to be free to all, so that is the preferred route......

+1

PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 3:15 pm 

I love Alan's idea. A great way of saying. "Thanks for all your help through the years Leigh."

Freeman

PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 4:57 pm 

++1

Russ

PostPosted: Oct Tue 08, 2019 9:24 pm 

Leigh and his web site help really got me into the radio repair with my first, and AK. It's all his fault! :lol: I will miss him and his help. I would like to see his stuff on ARF where I first met him. Just my opinion.
Jerry

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 1:56 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
I would be willing to host it here, as was done for The Philco Restorer website: https://antiqueradios.com/philcorestorer

I would need somebody to help coordinate things with her if it's something she would be interested in.

Where is the link to the Philco site Alan?

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 2:03 am 
Site Admin

antiqueradios.com > archives > The Philco Restorer (Rick Dippolito) https://antiqueradios.com/philcorestorer

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 2:21 am 

Thanks Alan.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Oct Wed 09, 2019 9:49 pm 

Freeman wrote:
I love Alan's idea. A great way of saying. "Thanks for all your help through the years Leigh."

Freeman

I also agree with Alan's idea. I would like to see it here, if possible.

http://www.atwaterkentsrus.com

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 3:14 am 

i am also in agreement that RM is not the place to host the AK site.

RM though a great resource, requires way too many hoops to jump through to be of use. i use it only for tube counts/types in radios and very rarely for a schem that i cant find on nostalgia air. if i can avoid using it, i do. there's no need for so much vetting in what is in reality, a lost art.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 3:38 am 

ke4mcl wrote:

RM though a great resource, requires way too many hoops to jump through to be of use. i use it only for tube counts/types in radios and very rarely for a schem that i cant find on nostalgia air. if i can avoid using it, i do. there's no need for so much vetting in what is in reality, a lost art.
The usage numbers show that many others think otherwise. If the goal is to put the information where it will be found and used, we must consider facts, not feelings. We probably all have some things we like to be different about any web site. I hope it is not lost.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 3:44 am 

FStephenMasek wrote:
ke4mcl wrote:

The usage numbers show that many others think otherwise. If the goal is to put the information where it will be found and used, we must consider facts, not feelings. We probably all have some things we like to be different about any web site. I hope it is not lost.

The fact that is most important is Leigh made it clear anyone should have free access to his work. That rules out RM.

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 4:52 am 

It would be of the highest insult to have "RADIO MUSEUM" watermarked across Leigh's schematics.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 5:14 am 

+1

Museum Curator

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 6:47 am 

++1

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 7:01 am 

Boy, you guys are full of disinformation:

1. RadioMuseum is free. Anyone can download schematics any time FOR FREE without having to be a member. Leigh's documentation all qualifies as schematics and service data.
https://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/vi ... 2&t=292467

When Greg and Leigh made their comments in 2017 about RadioMuseum costing $25/year to download schematics, their info was already a year or of date (see above link about restrictions on downloading schematics being lifted in 2016).

2. There are no watermarks on schematics or full-size photos on RadioMuseum. If you have only looked at thumbnails on RadioMuseum, then try downloading some full-size documents. No watermarks. Just because you wish RadioMuseum put watermarks on every download, doesn't mean they actually do.

There are daily download limits on RadioMuseum in order to keep costs affordable. That doesn't make it not free, but it can make it slow. If Alan's website got as many hits as RadioMuseum does, he would also have to institute download limits to afford the bandwidth, or we would all have to kick in a lot more $$$ in donations to keep ARF running.

I agree there's a benefit of hosting Leigh's website here on ARF, in is that there are fewer hoops to jump through in order to get your free downloads. On ARF you don't have to type in your email address and complete a CAPTCHA to get a download. And that is attractive to us, no doubt.

But you should also weigh that against the much smaller audience who uses ARF. Hosting it here is better for us, because we're here all the time. But it's not necessarily better for the folks who will never see it in the first place.

As I said, I'm happy having the information hosted either place if it means it remains available. But I see no reason to spread lies about RadioMuseum just to make ARF seem more attractive. The benefits of ARF are clear (easier access), as are the benefits of RadioMuseum (larger audience).

Alan has already said he's willing to host the documents here, so where is the need to continue touting incorrect information about RadioMuseum coming from?

Last edited by palegreenthumb on Oct Thu 10, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 7:34 am 

FStephenMasek wrote: ...we must consider facts, not feelings.

Leigh was not a member or a fan of radiomuseum.org

Fact.

Greg.

PostPosted: Oct Thu 10, 2019 7:57 am 

Because it used to cost money.

Alan has already said he'll host it if he can work it out.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 66 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next