Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Mon 24, 2020 6:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for work? Try HD
PostPosted: Feb Thu 13, 2020 11:45 pm 

Many people on ARF are retired or semi-retired. Most of you guys have years of knowledge to share about everything DIY esp around the home or farm. So if you'd like to share some of your knowledge and get a nice "seemingly easy?" job.... Maybe you should try HomeDepot?
I hear they are hiring 80,000 new associates for Spring:
"Spring is almost here, and that means that Home Depot is currently in the process of hiring thousands of store associates across the country. A Home Depot spokesperson told Business Insider that the company is well on its way to hiring 80,000 associates "to staff our stores for our busiest selling season.""

Post subject: Re: Looking for work? Try HD
PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 5:14 am 

a good friend of mine who retired from a local electrical sales/counter manager position recently applied to Lowes and HD.

the guy is 65 all he wanted was 20-25 hours per week to get out of the house and have some hobby money.

they hired him on the spot that moment.

HD and Lowes around these parts have a lot of age 40 plus workers there, a lot retired from their old profession.

he works in the electrical dept and will be quite the asset.

steve

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 6:00 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Don't know how it is over there but 90% of the cotton-toppers in any kind of retail establishment here that started back in after retirement don't last long.

Between having to tolerate
1 supervisors and managers younger than many of their grandkids and just as ignorant
2 an inflexible corporate structure
3 the low minimum wage pay
4 obnoxious Mister Me Gimme Mine customers who want everything perfect or they will tantrum

decide - the same as the mall kids and mall jobs playing the worlds biggest game of Musical Chairs - that the rewards are not worth whatever has to be tolerated.

Most of these guys are gone back to their porch sitting and rocking chairs and `Man Yells at Cloud. Film at 11.' rants by the third or certainly by the sixth month - the same as the kids who finally find out that they can't tolerate the retail world either and go back to college to get a better kind of job with less stress.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 6:19 am 

I tried Lowes part time for a while after I retired from IBM. It became a full time job with crazy scheduling for minimum wage. I quit and never looked back. Retail aint for me.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 6:46 am 

I don't need to go to HD often because my local hardware store is "the best".
He now hires young people who know nuttin except where to look for stuff in the store and carry it out for you. But the older men .. retired or semi-retired were always a great source of knowledge and insight about how to fix your doo-hickee.
Bring in a part from your kitchen or bath faucet and they knew exactly which brand it was and where the washers were for it.
The owner (my age now) still helps like that but he's not always there... however his son now seems to be a great help for patient answers on work-arounds and things.
Sometimes at HD I get lucky and find a cool smart old guy with patience and advice.
So... if you guys with knowledge want to get away from "she who must be obeyed"... I'm sure there's lots of help-seeking people looking to speak to you.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 7:18 am 

With a couple short breaks interspersed I'm in my 26th year at HD. I've seen it all. Excellent, good, bad, extremely ugly. I've also learned an enormous amount about the industry and retail in general. I can help you with whatever your working on in the scope of home repair or improvement. Slab to shingles and everything in between. The last 18 years have been as a Department Manager/Key Holder. A lot of fun. A lot of headaches. You'll run the gamut but usually have a good time.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 8:13 am 

badwaxcaps wrote:
With a couple short breaks interspersed I'm in my 26th year at HD. I've seen it all. Excellent, good, bad, extremely ugly. I've also learned an enormous amount about the industry and retail in general. I can help you with whatever your working on in the scope of home repair or improvement. Slab to shingles and everything in between. The last 18 years have been as a Department Manager/Key Holder. A lot of fun. A lot of headaches. You'll run the gamut but usually have a good time.

Wow... perfect story. Exactly up our (old guy's) alley .... right guys?

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 9:25 am 

I'd also like to mention that HD is a great company overall. They donate thousands of hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars to community projects, veterans, disabled folks, community repairs after severe weather, etc. We even have an intercompany fund for when associates come on hard times. Its a strong company with a solid foundation for it's brick and mortar locations and our tech dept works very hard to keep us up to date with online offerings and a convenient user interface (website). I can't speak for every store as your mileage may vary a bit but in general we promote excellent customer service and drive it hard into our associates. In my store you better not let a manager see you not greeting a customer. You'll end up in the hot seat. Usually just an angry finger pointing and a reminder about the level of service we expect our team to deliver. We also have a strong financial position and our stock keeps going up. I remember buying shares for $25 a piece. We closed at a tad over $240 a share this week.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 1:41 pm 

i was told our HD snd Lowes pay 4-5 bucks above minimum wage. in both places here, i see a lot of the same employees. the turn over rate seems to be minimal.

steve

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 2:02 pm 

I dont know the secret formula to being hired at either place. Im nowhere near retirement but I applied to both for extra money and never heard back from either of them. I attribute it to the targeted selection questions after the application most retail employers use to find 'perfect' candidates. You know what Im talking about......

You find a pen lying in an aisle. Would you

A. Keep it, finders keepers.
B. Take it to your supervisor
C. Leave it lay for someone else to take care of.

There is no correct answer. The same type of question appears slightly different 5 more times in the survey.

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 2:17 pm 

somebody once told me about those screening tests.

they are miserable b/c, as you said, there is "no correct answer".

i will make an another answer:

D. Bending down for a pen is not worth my time.

if i were a hiring manager and a candidate selected it, that answer would nail it for me.

oh wait, maybe he is lazy.

darn

steve

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 2:21 pm 

In those tests there are no right or wrong answers. There's any number of combinations of answers that collectively result in a "favorable" or "unfavorable" candidate. What I've heard the most is "answer the questions the way you think they want you to answer them".

Disclaimer: I am not directly involved in hiring or selecting candidates for employment or available positions. I have no inside info on the tests or testing process. I'm only relaying what I've heard over the years.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 2:52 pm 

Since I go to Lowes frequently, I've spoken to the greeter many times. He has to know me by now. Yet every time that he's there, he repeats his greeting, "Welcome to Lowes, may I help you find something?" I want to slap him...LOL. It's like he's wired to a mic and will be fired if he doesn't say that.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 4:04 pm 

Actual big box store veteran worker here... My advice? DON'T. There are many reasons why and although its been 25 years not much has changed.

A: The pay is piss-poor. That's a given
B: They will work you EVERY single weekend
C: You do not get to choose the days you want to have off and are expected to come in at any random time they tell you
D: Absolutely zero benefits as they will do whatever they can to make sure you are working under 40 hrs a week
E: HIGH turnover. As in if you manage to last a year you'll be the "old man" by then
F: Too few employees to do too many jobs
G: You're probably going to be working with lots of people who have no clue what they actually sell
H: Dealing with customers, often times angry customers since as mentioned, too few employees and thus they're already pissed it took so long to find someone.
I: Dealing with often bitter, angry managers whom barely get paid more than you and often have to deal with idiotic teenage workers

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 4:23 pm 

from what i hear bob, you are spot on about a lot of places.

steve

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 4:38 pm 

D: Pick up the pen and drop it in the nearest trash can. Problem avoided entirely

"4 obnoxious Mister Me Gimme Mine customers who want everything perfect or they will tantrum". .... I think, with the proper innocently condescending responses to such a customer, one could actually INDUCE said tantrum. :evil: :twisted:

I'm probably not a good candidate for a HD employee. :)

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 4:54 pm 

Hmmm...well we have a HD and a Lowes literally 1/8 mile apart!

I almost exclusively shop at Lowes. Lowes has their own Delivery service, whereas
HD contracts with a terrible service! After HD 's contracted Service brought an appliance,
Now get this!...they did not bring the correct length of supply line! (dishwasher)...yet
they had been given this info. Plus, they came all the way from Salem (OR) with it
(I'm in Eugene)...nuts.
Lowes can bring me an appliance right from their store -2 miles away. Needless to say, I
bought my next Three major appliances from Lowes.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 5:25 pm 

Dutch Rabbit wrote:
a good friend of mine who retired from a local electrical sales/counter manager position recently applied to Lowes and HD.

the guy is 65 all he wanted was 20-25 hours per week to get out of the house and have some hobby money.

they hired him on the spot that moment.

HD and Lowes around these parts have a lot of age 40 plus workers there, a lot retired from their old profession.

he works in the electrical dept and will be quite the asset.

steve
Yes, if you want good advice, get the names of the pros, and find out what times they are on.

I had an electrician send me to a supply place for the correct cable not in stock there. Another guy sent me to a local shop for a better deal on counter tops. Thanks again.

I'm too impatient to work there myself.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 6:15 pm 

:)

Last edited by WA2SFT on Feb Sun 16, 2020 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Feb Fri 14, 2020 7:01 pm 

from what i hear around here, HD and L are nice places to work.
steve

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 55 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next