Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Tue 19, 2021 3:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 133 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: To All Of You Guys Who Are, Or Have Been Married....
PostPosted: Nov Thu 26, 2020 4:57 am 

Jeri Southern.
When I Fall in Love: https://archive.org/details/78_when-i-f ... estra.flac

PostPosted: Nov Thu 26, 2020 6:16 pm 

jimbenedict wrote:
...However, there are women that are compatible
with men, and at times visa-versa. Some women told me they can think
out on a 'tangent' so to speak, but know it is not reality and dismiss their
thoughts that are 'out there'. These are very logical thinking women.

Yes. They do exist, but in diminishing numbers.

But, in one case, I was very close to marrying a girl back in the '80's.
I was convinced "She was like Me". We felt the same way about things,
had similar Values and ethics, etc.. I had to move for a job, but wasn't ready
to have her move in with me. Welll..."distance Did Not make the heart grow
fonder" and we drifted apart. My fault. :oops:

Then, I met another girl, and soon we had 'hooked up".
Girl #1 and I kept in touch, but she was not aware of girl #2.
As time passed, I began to see changes in her. The values and ethics that I
thought were firmly part of her unraveled. :?
Was she only "mirroring" me ? Was it a conscious decision? She should have
not needed me to maintain her own personal integrity. What if we had married?
Did I save myself from being hitched to someone who was just a 'parrot'?
I guess I'll never know. :|

PostPosted: Nov Thu 26, 2020 10:03 pm 

egg wrote:

When I was 14 I was very sentimental/romantic and in "puppy love" with my 14yo GF.
I loved many songs of love:
And so I fell in love with every song on Nat King Cole's album: "Love is the Thing":
here's two of my fave cuts:
When I Fall in Love
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y39N72hN7iQ

Ain't Misbehavin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wTZdP_iVRI

PostPosted: Nov Thu 26, 2020 10:13 pm 

I think European women are more sincere than American women.

A Euro gal would say: "Let's enjoy life together"

An American gal would say: "What have you done for me lately?"

Traveling around the world here and there... I've come to see how really materialistic American women are.

Almost ever American woman wants the biggest giant costly diamond engagement ring. WHY?

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 1:05 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
rgbiker wrote:
I got divorced in 1974 and have remained single.
I own (whatever I want) and I don't have to answer to anyone why I bought something.
Or as cited below - who would tolerate me or all my things or my schedule. This is why I'm the Neighborhood Cat Lady.
beat_truck wrote:
I've never been married, and never will be.
Even if I found a decent woman, I doubt she would put up with my crap anyhow.
I like to do what I want and when.
I'd much rather be alone than deal with that type of unpredictable crazy.
Or anybody trying to order me around. I didn't put up with it from my parents once I got big enough I DEFINITELY am not putting up with it from a lover.
Richard Jensen wrote:
Not married and never ran into anybody that I wanted to
get married to or trusted enough to get married to! I'm very happy thank you!
Yep.
forumuser wrote:
A bachelor is a man who has thought seriously about marriage.
+1
RadioNut39 wrote:
This stems from suddenly being told (perhaps for the first time EVER) ..."NO." They can't handle it. :shock:
Not to mention way too many men.
RadioNut39 wrote:
You should always marry someone who elevates you...That is perhaps Better than you.
Then you end up like Billy Joel and Christie Brinkley She's the uptown (prissy)
girl looking for her downtown (mechanic) man because she's bored. Pass.

And then there's all the other desperate guys who REALLY can't tolerate being alone.

When they are young they try for a hot girl.
Can't get that they try for a regular girl.
Repeat for plain girl, fat girl ugly girl old girl, crazy girl handicapped girl homeless girl etc etc etc.

Still desperate and still alone so they cross the fence looking for a hot guy.
Repeat for regular guy plain guy fat guy ugly guy old guy crazy guy handicapped guy homeless guy etc etc etc.

Once they go through all that 2800 times, they're of an age where they need to move into a care home and tolerate whatever affection they can get in whatever form it comes in - often from other guys in the same boat as them.

And they still whine and complain because they are both ``settling'' which means
whatever standards they had have long since disappeared.

Or you realize who and what you are early and settle for hiring out for whatever or whoever you need same as a car mechanic or a painter or AC repairman or gardener or anybody else.

And then there's the old ``I want a man/woman in my life but not in my house'' like waaayyy too many blue collar guys and their wives from the 40s through the 70s.

Stereotypical mid 20th century industrial type men can't cook clean shop wash dishes do laundry etc and only learn if their wife dies or gets a long term illness. Even then it's not a guarantee because he'll just let whatever trollop with a smidgin of mothering instinct come in and take over.

I had so many ``aunties'' as a kid I lost track and was so glad to go to residential education.

And lastly there's the old 54321 method
Never move closer to your intended than
5 city blocks
4 bus stops
3 condo towers
2 trolley stops
1 freeway exit

That way you never have to worry about whose responsibility what or who is to do who or what.
me I have nieces and nephews and grandnieces and nephews and various honorary stand ins that get dropped off periodically when the parents want to do something else besides parenting.

When that's done, they go home take the kids with em and everybody goes home happy.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 2:31 am 

You never fail to illustrate how miserable your view of life is. Pity, really. I'd buy you a schnapps, but you'd probably find it distasteful for one reason or another, and chastise me for buying it. Bah, humbug. I choose not to live that way, although I certainly could. Some of us revel in the coming of dawn; others curse the fact that it's still mostly dark. Nuff said. I suppose your turkey was dry and tough too . . . . .

Dan

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 4:04 am 

Pbpix wrote:
I think European women are more sincere than American women.

A Euro gal would say: "Let's enjoy life together"

An American gal would say: "What have you done for me lately?"

Traveling around the world here and there... I've come to see how really materialistic American women are.

Almost ever American woman wants the biggest giant costly diamond engagement ring. WHY?

You seem to be judging American Womanhood based on your two failed marriages (and we can be sure the failures were all THEIR fault, eh?).
I bought my wife a simple "Cigar Band" Gold wedding ring and she was quite pleased with it.

Having been stationed in Europe for 2-1/2 years, I noticed that their women can be just as materialistic as anyone, so don't kid yourself with 'the grass is always greener on the other side' premise.

An international survey was performed some years back, asking from what country a man would want his girlfriend to be from.
I'll let you guess the overwhelming answer... :wink:

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 7:00 am 

Hey, y'all, thanks for the laughs.
No regrets, 41 yrs of sharing, it's give and take, sometimes you give more, sometimes less. Plenty of time to go fishing too. 8)

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 3:22 pm 

Quote:
An international survey was performed some years back, asking from what country a man would want his girlfriend to be from.

Japan?

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 5:42 pm 

Quote:
Anyplace whose culture is automatically subservient to men - where you more or less end up with a combination maid and Geisha girl. Eddie Murphy makes fun of African bush babes til your basic American woman comes into her life and tells her what's what. Then she can't function here or at home because now she's bossy and wants what's coming to her.

Any woman (or man) who only wants what's coming to them is going to get it - in the form of being shown the door. Thanks for playing.
SparkyDan wrote:
You never fail to illustrate how miserable your view of life is.
You're from Cleveland. You should know all about growing up in factory life in the 60s and 70s same as Chicago Mpls Detroit Pittsburgh St. Louis Indy Columbus Cincinnati etc etc etc.

Except I'm far from miserable since I never had anything to compare it to besides TV since people for 700 miles in any direction had different versions of the same experience as me.

Except when people keep trying to stuff me into mainstream society values and try and get me to be validated by their validations etc.
SparkyDan wrote:
Pity, really. I'd buy you a schnapps, but you'd probably find it distasteful for one reason or another, and chastise me for buying it.
Yep. Don't gamble, don't drink, don't swear, don't rat my hair, get ill off one cigarette, hated Elvis and Garth Brooks or any other commercial entertainment refuse to eat froufy girl-food or subsist on girl-sized portions to keep at an ``average'' weight or tolerate ``normal'' people etc etc etc.

That's how I got abducted into the electronics field. Every other old geezer in the swapmeet at 4 AM in the freezing cold was there MOSTLY not to sell but to escape from wives and mommas and civilians and skinny people and kids and etc etc etc same as me.

In those days, before they knew what dyslectic or any other kind of neurologically-atypical condition was - there was two choices
1 Stay home with the girls and the mommas and the grammomms and aunties and get bossed around
2 Go with the men to the swapmeet and get 12 or 16 hours of peace and quiet once a week.
SparkyDan wrote:
Bah, humbug. I choose not to live that way, although I certainly could. Some of us revel in the coming of dawn; others curse the fact that it's still mostly dark.
Except my life is far from dark.
SparkyDan wrote:
I suppose your turkey was dry and tough too.
Wouldn't know. See above under ``only ex-foster father cares about holidays and holiday food, the fixing thereof or the company that comes over to eat it''.

I have zero affinity for all three and always have had.

I'm sure you read my story about how holiday life was as a kid. Men would be drinking soon after they got there for the women to start prepping dinner (maybe 8-9 AM) By the time dinner was served 7-8 hours later, they were all more than drunk and one drunken uncle (or grandfather or father or neighbor man) would say something the other drunk misunderstood.

The resulting food fight made Animal House look like a picnic in the park. Kids dove for the basement attic or garage loft like it was an NBC drill at school, mommas aunties and grammoms dove for the kitchen and after the men were passed out on the floor from the exertion and booze would try and salvage what they could and bring it to everybody else in the basement attic or loft where we would hibernate until the women finished the cleanup piled their husbands into the backseats of their cars and drove home.

Wash rinse repeat for the next holiday.

And you wonder why kids stayed at school as soon as they got old enough to exercise the option. I guarantee you any number of drive thru options or empty restaurants at 9 AM in the morning is vastly more pleasurable than having to tolerate family under those circumstances.

Happy Holidays? What's that? Some fantasy in a womens channel movie?

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 6:25 pm 

A long time ago I read a quip:

"The secret to life is not finding the one perfect person who will make you happy.

The secret is to avoid the millions of people who will make you miserable."

If you think about it, all of you are saying the same thing, regardless of whether you're on the married or single side of the fence. You all have avoided the people who make you miserable.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 6:58 pm 

ndiamone wrote:
Quote:
.......And you wonder why kids stayed at school as soon as they
got old enough to exercise the option. I guarantee you any number of drive thru options or
empty restaurants at 9 AM in the morning is vastly more pleasurable than having to tolerate
family under those circumstances.
Happy Holidays? What's that? Some fantasy in a womens channel movie?

GEESH!
Attachment:
grinch-movie-trailer.jpeg
grinch-movie-trailer.jpeg [ 248.82 KiB | Viewed 394 times ]

I had some similar family situations at the Holidays what with the men drinking
from noon till 4-5pm and gettin' hammered. :roll: I once thought for sure Dad's face
was going to fall into his mashed potatoes! Hammered. Nothing to the extent of a food fight,
however. My point is this: Sh*t happens in one's life. But your Reaction to whatever
happens to you is the absolute key to not letting it get inside. :wink:

palegreenthumb wrote:
A long time ago I read a quip:
"The secret to life is not finding the one perfect person who will
make you happy...The secret is to avoid the millions of people who
will make you miserable."
If you think about it, all of you are saying the same thing, regardless
of whether you're on the married or single side of the fence. You all
have avoided the people who make you miserable.

True. But I think some of us who have been married and are now
divorced, would have preferred to have not learned the hard way. :|

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 7:31 pm 

RadioNut39 wrote:
True. But I think some of us who have been married and are now
divorced, would have preferred to have not learned the hard way. :|

The same can be said of friendships gone sour, business deals gone bust... Sometimes learning the hard way is unavoidable. Nobody *likes* it.

PostPosted: Nov Fri 27, 2020 11:14 pm 

If a man speaks in the forest,
And there is no woman around to hear him,
Is he still wrong?

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 12:34 am 

The secret to a good marriage or friendship? When disagreements occur - - and they inevitably will - - make sure neither party wins or loses. "Winning" an argument is a hollow victory indeed, since by labeling the "other" as a loser, you've just driven a spike into your relationship. No one wants to feel like a loser (although I've observed that some folks delight in losing as long as they can blame someone else. . . .). I have the fortune to have a close friend for many years. We are at the opposite ends of the political spectrum, but we respect each other's views, and can empathize with their reasoning. In any relationship, respect is essential. Without it, you're nothing but mouthy 9-year-olds on a playground. There are some people who just cannot fathom differences of opinion. Those folks (and you know who you are. . . .) should just rent a 1-bedroom apartment and stew in their own juices and pontificate until the cows come home. And get a cat.

Dan

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 12:41 am 

SparkyDan wrote:
...I have the fortune to have a close friend for many years. We are at the opposite ends of the political spectrum, but we respect each other's views, and can empathize with their reasoning....Dan

You and your friend are wise and fortunate. There has been far too little respect or empathy for others' views of late and we are all the poorer for it.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 12:48 am 

SparkyDan wrote:
The secret to a good marriage or friendship?........In any relationship, respect is essential. Without it, you're nothing but mouthy 9-year-olds on a playground. There are some people who just cannot fathom differences of opinion.
Dan

Yep. :D

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 1:37 am 

SparkyDan wrote:
Those folks should just rent a 1-bedroom apartment, stew in their own juices, get a cat....
See above under
``I became the Neighborhood Cat Lady''
``Camper on my ex-foster-dad's property I live with and take care of''
because he blasts his TV his dog and the boarder's dog are both noisy
and they are both crabby as a old biddy because drinking kills the effect
of meed meds and other psych drugs.

So as long as they are all here I live in the camper (can).

Except there hasn't been any juice in my ``can'' to stew in since my crock
pot ran dry ages ago resulting in me becoming twice baked double boiled
and deep-fried.
SparkyDan wrote:
..and pontificate until the cows come home.
I leave the Pontification to the Pontiff.
Avoiding people that aggravate me. All day long everyday.
Doo-doo-doot-doot-dooo I'm lovin' it.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 1:48 am 

With all this venting about marriage, perhaps it should be added to Alan's list of NO-NOs.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 28, 2020 3:24 am 

It's just a joke, son. :D
Ya'll lighten up just a bit.

Attachment:
HappiestDayMeme.jpg
HappiestDayMeme.jpg [ 118.39 KiB | Viewed 312 times ]

Last edited by processhead on Nov Sat 28, 2020 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 133 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next