Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 26, 2021 1:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: The " Bro-Dozer" trend...
PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 7:20 pm 

What about the use of pickups when a closed vehicle would be much better? A van is easier to use and keeps cargo more secure from weather, theft, and falling/blowing out. The newer trucks, even stock, are so high in the air they now have steps made into the bumpers and so forth.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 7:32 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
RadioNut39 wrote:
Dennis H. wrote:
When I see those things I think
"Big truck, tiny manhood".

Welll...certainly true between the ears.

I am amazed at the .. intolerance? narrow mindedness? lack of understanding? that some have for other people and their pursuits/hobbies. No, I don't like the noise when they go by at 6am with straight pipes belching, and I am not a fan of emissions deletes, but otherwise, how people enjoy themselves, as long as they aren't interfering with anyone else's lifestyle, is nobody's business but their own. And .... the fact they they drive a lifted truck with oversize tires etc, probably signifies nothing .... other than that they enjoy building lifted trucks.

Off road, yes. I have helped build and race the type of vehicles discussed here for a dedicated purpose. Drive them on the road, NO. Since people are no longer ticketed for almost any equipment violations, how does abysmal handling, dangerous braking, and bumpers so high over the legal limits as to cause decapitation in an accident play into the, boys will be boys narrative?

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 8:17 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
RadioNut39 wrote:
If it were simply the need to use to work with the mill and logs, etc. you could buy a used one for that
temporary need, then get rid off it when "the need goes away".

Phhht ......

"Used" is for people who can't afford new or who don't care about enjoying the luxuries that custom ordering a vehicle brings, or who don't really care what they drive as long as it works, or who prefer to save their dollars, or ...... so many reasons. I can afford new. I enjoy my luxuries. Life is for living ..... and I am going to enjoy the fruits of my previous labours while I am alive.

YMMV

cheers

Buying, and in full support of your explanation, John. :D

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 8:43 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
"Used" is for people who can't afford new or who don't care about enjoying the luxuries that custom ordering a vehicle brings...
Unless you find what you want almost new or in stock. We found my wife's car, a 2017 model with just 5,000 miles on it in 2018. We very much like the color, interior and so forth. I found my current vehicle new and in stock at the dealership. I might not have considered some of the options, such as the black trim package, or carbon fiber, but like both.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 9:50 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
tubesrule wrote:
Off road, yes. I have helped build and race the type of vehicles discussed here for a dedicated purpose. Drive them on the road, NO. Since people are no longer ticketed for almost any equipment violations, how does abysmal handling, dangerous braking, and bumpers so high over the legal limits as to cause decapitation in an accident play into the, boys will be boys narrative?

I agree with this ^^^. However, I am NOT a cop, so it's not my place to police them. My comment was "as long as they aren't interfering with other people's lifestyle", and I mean that to include causing danger to others, so if they are, then it's up to the people who enforce these regulations to do their job.

FWIW ... I don't know what the rules are for lifting, noise, etc, so I mind my own business. Possibly if I find I am continually annoyed, awakened, disturbed etc, by some particular vehicle I "might" be motivated to make a complaint, but for the most part I figure these people will pass by and I'll be none the worse for wear.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 10:25 pm 

My, and I think that most people's problem with the "bro dozers" isn't so much the vehicles themselves. It's the fact that a lot of the owners drive like complete a-holes, which endangers other people. If they want to waste their money making ridiculous modifications to their vehicles, I personally couldn't care less as long as they don't bother me.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 2:02 am 

I watched one of these damn things crash into a small SUV once--driver didn't see the car (up too high) and when the car stopped the truck driver ran right into the rear window--bang!
I've also seen my share of them laying on the side of the road or in repair yards with the rear axle yanked out and hanging on by the leaf springs.

Driving at night with these idiots on the road is a pain. I have some issues with my eyesight & bright lights I can't see well in; when the light is too bright all I can see is a bright sheet of glare. Of course I also have a very old, very small Japanese sedan with a low-powered engine & incandescent headlights. At night I drop down to about 5 below the speed limit & hang out in the slow lane.

Yet this offends the precious Rich Kid attitudes of the brodozer captains, who, after making it where I can't see much, immediately try running over my car--for by the twelve teeth present at a Willie Nelson concert, I have committed the unforgiveable sin against the 11th Commandment: thou shalt not drive the posted speed limit. This is a psychological matter. At 55 to 60, their I.Q. is readable on their speedometer. This of course reminds them of a lack of something (Daddy's) money can't buy.

Their sacred palimpsest is the back glass--home to Salt Life or Lake Life or Locally Hated--says to follow CountryBoy69420 or MudholeSurfers on Instagram or Tiktok--shows a Calvin peeing on a Ford badge. A Chevy sticker is the only bowtie they can ever figure out how to put on. They advertise for brands and kiss up to celebrities who don't know they exist. A Playboy bunny and a John 3:16 sticker, together, show their shared love of Jesus and them tig ol bitties which, together, make up their vision of America. Pendulous, bright neon, and veined like Italian marble, rubber truck-nuts swing from the drawbar, distracting that the nuts on the actual truck are Grade 5 instead of Grade 8 because the whole lift kit was imported and made from finest chinesium alloy. The muffler upgrades cost hundreds, and now the muffler does everything but muffle. The stereo cost more than a hi-fi and has to compete with the muffler. "Cummins" or "PowerStroke" stickers top off the ensemble, describing their lifestyle perfectly--nothing but self-pleasure, if you get my drift. The only vehicle that seems to intimidate them is a Toyota Prius or a bicycle.

They turn up to work dressed to impress other teenagers on Instagram or Tiktok--that is, if they work at all. Yet these butterflies are as ephemeral as they are whimsical. Soon they will have to go away. Responsibility will call. That job might get lost, or they might actually get a work ethic. They may discover something slightly more intellectually fulfilling than making noise & wasting fuel. They may start thinking about other people, may have actual adult life to attend to, or may mess with the wrong person and get their arses handed back to them. The truck itself may end this--a blown transmission may not be fixable when the truck parts fund went to rims, tires, speakers, and faux furs on the steering wheel.

To the Virgins, to Make Less of Trucks

Gather your truck nuts while you may
Tax time is yet a-flying;
Your onetime friends still think you're gay,
And inside, you are dying.

The front-end lift you raise on high,
So we don't think you're bookworms,
Looks like, to other non-truck guys,
A dog that's passing hookworms.

That age is best which is the first,
For you and Daddy's money,
You'll linger here for aye in heart,
And think you once were funny.

Then be not vain, but use your time,
And heed our execrations,
And one request we ask of thee--
Refrain from procreation.

(My apologies to Robert Herrick.)

Sorry if this seems long. One of these arsewits & his little toadies made it where I couldn't walk safely to work at the parts store...I remember they couldn't figure out how to change a wiper blade.)

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 5:03 pm 

I had never heard the term "bro dozer" used for these monstrosities, around here they are known as "grow dozers." Perhaps unsurprisingly I'm in Humboldt County.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 5:33 pm 

Honestly every time I see somebody going exactly the speed limit in the slow lane, I give them whatever courtousy I can, I figure
they're one point on their license away from getting suspended!

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 3:21 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
RadioNut39 wrote:
If it were simply the
need to use to work with the mill and logs, etc. you could buy a
used one for that temporary need, then get rid off it when "the
need goes away".

Phhht ......
"Used" is for people who can't afford new or who don't care about
enjoying the luxuries that custom ordering a vehicle brings, or who
don't really care what they drive as long as it works, or who prefer
to save their dollars, or ...... so many reasons. I can afford new.
I enjoy my luxuries. Life is for living ..... and I am going to enjoy
the fruits of my previous labours while I am alive. YMMV. cheers

Ohhh Johnny...That's great! Really, I'm glad for you.
But, it's not about buying a new truck, it is about your often conflicting
statements. That is all.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 19, 2021 6:01 pm 

RadioNut39 wrote:
Ohhh Johnny...That's great! Really, I'm glad for you.
But, it's not about buying a new truck, it is about your often conflicting
statements. That is all.

Point 'em out. I see no conflict at all. Buying a vehicle for a purpose doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. If you're going to be using it, it might as well be fun and comfortable at the same time.

Some people seem to view life as survival until the grave. I don't.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 12:22 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
If the last recession is any indicator of what typically happens with these folks who lack a higher education but are making bank in the logging/construction/contractor trades is that yes, the money is great but they also spend EVERY penny on crap. There is absolutely zero money saved or put away and when the inevitable recession hits these kinds of jobs are the very first to go. That's why for a time period you could take your pick of any full sized truck off the lot for a fraction of what it cost new. I saw countless examples of these guys hauling a $90k Camper with another $50-$75k in toys being pulled by a $70k truck. Literally 300k on wheels all at once. We pulled over to have a beer in one small town and there was an endless parade of this. These trailers were HUGE things. Not your garden variety family camper. No. It was more those giant 35 footers with a fold down "garage" to fit all the toys and fold out rooms on the sides.

Only people without college degrees were affected by the last downturn? Not a lot of GED holders working the financial industry back in 2009.

Only people without higher education spend every penny on crap? Have you ever looked around that expensive CA suburb you live in- or do you only cast derision when you drive around other areas?

I would bet most of your neighbors are probably mortgaged up to their eyeballs- most high income highly educated people in my neck of the woods (NYC) blow all their money on overpriced houses or condos, 5 figure family vacations to Europe or Asia and large German or other European made Sedans and SUV's in an effort to try to outdo each and everyone of their neighbors- who are all pretty much doing the same thing.

Not much money being saved there. Unless you think they are eating instant ramen all year in order to book that trip to Prague, or that 3 week "Foodie Tour" of Southeast Asia.

I hardly think the NE is the only part of the country where upper middle class, educated people behave like this.......Do you see that family with the old Subarus living in a $2M home in Westchester- yes, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

There were just as many foreclosures in the 2009-2011 era in the expensive areas in the NYC metro area as there was in the poor and more modest areas- only the really rich are immune to a downturn.

Every income strata has practical people- but the more education you have never equals job protection or practicality. I know people with combined incomes of over $300K who live paycheck to paycheck because they have to lease 2-3 cars that cost $900 a month and buy every gadget or piece of expensive furniture or clothing the minute it comes out.

I also witnessed entire sections of the financial and banking industry in NYC get wiped out in 2002 and 2009- and those industries are loaded with master degrees. That in turn killed the construction/design business- which in addition to hard hats- also employs thousands of engineers and architects- who lo and behold- all have degrees.

Some of these lowly, uneducated workers make quite a bit of money. Electricians, HVAC installers, plumbers and all the general unwashed tradesmen in my area routinely make six figure salaries and generally make more money than run of the mill white collar workers like the masses of corporate lawyers who do the drudge work at the thousands of law firms in NYC.

There are also less and less tradesmen then there was 30 years ago due to everyone pushing higher education- which in turn is starting to make blue collar jobs the recession proof ones.

Also how do you even know where all these people with "$300K on wheels at once" live or what they do for a living? I know a friend of a friend who drives a $60K RAM Diesel, has that $90K trailer- and he makes $250K a year as a Captain at American Airlines- but he runs around wearing cowboy boots and a Stetson when he isn't working even though he is from NJ and now lives in the south..

He also has 2 college degrees, invests his money and generally is set for life. Has it ever occurred to you that some of these people are only buying this stuff because they have the means to?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 1:50 pm 

8417 wrote:
Has it ever occurred to you that .............. ???

Some people's view of the world is very narrow, informed only by their own prejudices and limited experiences. They rarely look outside their own bubble, and the notion of trying something different in order to have a new experience and learn something .. "just because" .... has never occurred to them.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 2:14 pm 

John Bartley wrote:
8417 wrote:
Has it ever occurred to you that .............. ???

Some people's view of the world is very narrow, informed only by their own prejudices and limited experiences. They rarely look outside their own bubble, and the notion of trying something different in order to have a new experience and learn something .. "just because" .... has never occurred to them.

Oh that's 'rich'. :roll:
And none of those traits exist in you? Correct?
You're hopeless...Zero introspection.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 4:13 pm 

Holy Baby Jeeezus..... Take a chill pill...

Quote:
Only people without college degrees were affected by the last downturn? Not a lot of GED holders working the financial industry back in 2009.

Only people without higher education spend every penny on crap? Have you ever looked around that expensive CA suburb you live in- or do you only cast derision when you drive around other areas?

I would bet most of your neighbors are probably mortgaged up to their eyeballs- most high income highly educated people in my neck of the woods (NYC) blow all their money on overpriced houses or condos, 5 figure family vacations to Europe or Asia and large German or other European made Sedans and SUV's in an effort to try to outdo each and everyone of their neighbors- who are all pretty much doing the same thing.

Not much money being saved there. Unless you think they are eating instant ramen all year in order to book that trip to Prague, or that 3 week "Foodie Tour" of Southeast Asia.

I hardly think the NE is the only part of the country where upper middle class, educated people behave like this.......Do you see that family with the old Subarus living in a $2M home in Westchester- yes, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

There were just as many foreclosures in the 2009-2011 era in the expensive areas in the NYC metro area as there was in the poor and more modest areas- only the really rich are immune to a downturn.

Every income strata has practical people- but the more education you have never equals job protection or practicality. I know people with combined incomes of over $300K who live paycheck to paycheck because they have to lease 2-3 cars that cost $900 a month and buy every gadget or piece of expensive furniture or clothing the minute it comes out.

I also witnessed entire sections of the financial and banking industry in NYC get wiped out in 2002 and 2009- and those industries are loaded with master degrees. That in turn killed the construction/design business- which in addition to hard hats- also employs thousands of engineers and architects- who lo and behold- all have degrees.

Some of these lowly, uneducated workers make quite a bit of money. Electricians, HVAC installers, plumbers and all the general unwashed tradesmen in my area routinely make six figure salaries and generally make more money than run of the mill white collar workers like the masses of corporate lawyers who do the drudge work at the thousands of law firms in NYC.

There are also less and less tradesmen then there was 30 years ago due to everyone pushing higher education- which in turn is starting to make blue collar jobs the recession proof ones.

Also how do you even know where all these people with "$300K on wheels at once" live or what they do for a living? I know a friend of a friend who drives a $60K RAM Diesel, has that $90K trailer- and he makes $250K a year as a Captain at American Airlines- but he runs around wearing cowboy boots and a Stetson when he isn't working even though he is from NJ and now lives in the south..

He also has 2 college degrees, invests his money and generally is set for life. Has it ever occurred to you that some of these people are only buying this stuff because they have the means to?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 9:21 pm 

Check out the ā€œCarolina Squatā€
https://tfltruck.com/2021/06/carolina-s ... you-think/

YUCK!

Attachments:
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg [ 497.24 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]

Phil 118H
Radiola 17
Scott 800B6
S'tone 6130
S'berg 535M
T'tone D1952

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 9:32 pm 

I think this is a good place to quit this thread.

Happy trucking all :)

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 11:45 pm 

The shrinkage of the farmers is what put a end to it. Use to be 90% population farmed, now under 1% I believe. I grew up on a farm, we'd buy striped 3/4t & 1/2t trucks. Might have heavy duty suspension, no fancy radio, no pwr anything, & most no air.. We would beat the crap out of the trucks. Replace the bed, doors, windows and keep on going. Those days are gone.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 12:55 am 

This is a hot button issue with me. Some of that should be illegal, some of it is, law enforcement is pretty lazy on these issues.

You must have mud flaps or fenders that prevent throwing rocks into other cars. Open wheel vehicles are not street legal. I have my favorite windshield repair guy on speed dial from this. The height of the lift should be limited to the bumper being no higher than the axle. Otherwise you can climb onto top of a small vehicle in an accident and unnecessarily kill the occupants. Limo tint, it is illegal and is a hazarded to LEOs in a traffic stop. Not being able to see what the occupants of a vehicle are doing is an officer safety issue. Engine and exhaust changes are illegal and violate smog laws. If I have to search high ad low to get my 1992 vehicle smoged at least they should be held to normal standards. Loud exhaust systems need to be banned. Those idiots wake me up in the middle of the night. Finally the stupid stuff. Lifted truck with small diameter extra wide wheels??? I guess that is a way to broadcast the super low IQ of the owner. Last but not least power base stereo systems, OMG.....no. Illegal obnoxious and stupid.

I am not against customizing a vehicles as long as it does not negatively impact others or violate the law.

"I think this is a good place to quit this thread." Another opinion? I think we are way to trigger happy to close threads around here.

Attachments:
stupid.png
stupid.png [ 1.21 MiB | Viewed 194 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 1:26 am 

Scota4570 wrote:
The height of the lift should be limited to the bumper being no higher than the axle

I won't argue the benefit of having uniform bumper height standards, but as they are now, there must not be any such thing. I bought a new 3/4 ton Ram pickup last month. It is now, and will as long as I own it, be unmodified with regard to suspension, tuning or emissions. The factory stock bumper is higher than many small car grilles, and that's stock from the factory.
Quote:
Lifted truck with small diameter extra wide wheels??? I guess that is a way to broadcast the super low IQ of the owner.

Why would you assume this? As has already been posted, there are plenty of hobbies and building lifted trucks is just one of them. I doubt that the person who can hold down a job that pays well enough to pay for all these mods, never mind buy the truck and pay the insurance is a stupid person.
Quote:
"I think this is a good place to quit this thread." Another opinion?
No not an opinion on thread closure, just me saying I think I should quit posting in it.
cheers !!

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 107 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next