Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Fri 22, 2021 7:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 102 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Abuse of our language
PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 2:37 am 

Australians pronounce the A as I. Avery becomes Ivory. I understand. :roll:

Lately our E has become Ah. Words line Election has become Ah-lection, Eleven becomes Ah-leven, Elude is AH-lude, Erect, AH-rect, Emergency is AH-mergency. Emotion is Ah-motion, Erase is Ah-rase.
Just listen to the news or any talk show. It didn't bother me until someone mentioned it and now I hear it all the time. :shock:

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 1:01 pm 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
Hell. Just in the US of A if you go from one section to another sometimes people speak as if they're in a foreign country. I was born in the South, moved to Boston ( Baastan ) and then to California. I've also traveled through the Midwest. In Boston if something was unusually amazing one might say " Wicked Pissah!" . Back home they might say " Welll.... I Be durned!" In California? " Well that's totally far out man!" Different regions with totally different phrases that all mean the same thing.

Being a native of the Boston area, I can tell you that the only people that say "Baastan" are people not from the area, or people on TV (often politicians) deliberately affecting their accent in an attempt play up the fact that they are from here (fortunately, that's becoming less frequent).

Now every else thing you heard about the spoken language in the area is probably correct.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 3:30 pm 

I was in Worcester, MA once. It took three iterations before I pronounced it right. The pronunciation basically has nothing to do with the spelling.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 17, 2021 4:33 pm 

mblack wrote:
I was in Worcester, MA once. It took three iterations before I pronounced it right. The pronunciation basically has nothing to do with the spelling.

Sounds like "Acadian" English in Louisiana! No rhyme or reason...

PostPosted: Sep Sat 18, 2021 9:35 pm 

The newsreaders on TV had the same problem here before direct satellite TV allowed them to hear another reader at the other side of the globe pronounce the place names as a local would. Salisbury would catch them out (Saulsbury), Kirkudbrightshire in Scotland (Kirk -oo - brishire) and Worcestershire Sauce - (Wooster, just ignore the -shire!).

PostPosted: Sep Mon 20, 2021 2:40 pm 

mblack wrote:

The name of Worcester is actually copied from a town of the same name in England, and is pronounced the same way (similar to "Wooster", with a short "oo"). As is Gloucester. ("Glosster"). Other MA towns named after English towns have the more traditional "-chester" suffice (e.g., Manchester), and the "chester" is pronounced the way it appears.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 1:29 am 

I recently had the thought that one of the really amorphous pieces of technical jargon today is the word "device."

In the world of consumer electronics marketing, mobile phones, computers, and possibly Bluetooth headsets and digital cameras are "devices." Engineers might prefer to call these items systems because they have a high level of sophistication and incorporate transducers, logic circuitry, RF circuitry, firmware, and often software. What, then, makes them devices? Is it the ability to connect to the Internet (which would exclude the cameras and Bluetooth headsets but bring many Internet of Things products under the umbrella)? Is it just marketing's desire to set a new generation of products apart from an old one (say a smartphone versus a boombox)?

In my current line of work, a "device" refers to a single transistor. More specifically, these are not packaged transistors but transistors designed specifically for in-house engineering purposes. I was once corrected for calling a prototype design of an amplifier IC a "device."

I worked a brief stint as a semiconductor applications engineer. In that environment, our customers considered the products that we sold them "devices." As such, a "device" could incorporate a programmable logic device (there is that word again), along with voltage reference circuits, comparators, and driver circuitry.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 2:36 am 
Site Admin

Alfredo_T wrote:
What, then, makes them devices?

The terminology changed as hardware became more universal. You used to view a web page on a computer. Then a computer or laptop (although they are the same thing in different form factors), or a tablet (iPad), or a phone, or a Smart TV, or a ..." Rather than list each variation that may apply (including ones not commonly in use, like on your refrigerator), they are now all classified as one entity, a "device".

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 5:05 am 

"Tech" used to be technical, something exotic done by hobbyists and professionals. Now, it's common, referring to things now used like telephones, ie everyday devices. I'm sure the new use boosts the self-esteem of the users, it sounds like they are doing more than listening to music.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 5:21 am 
Site Admin

mblack wrote:
"... it sounds like they are doing more than listening to music.

To be honest, in many cases it is more complex now than it used to be. Insert disk (or tape), push play. Now I search for what I want to listen to and have it sent to me from a server somewhere in the world using an app on my phone or my computer. I tell that device [!] to play it on my smart speakers (or I tell the smart speakers to play Spotify over the speaker group). I've previously had to set up the speakers to work with the streaming service and set everything up on my home network. That's all the "Tech" part.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 21, 2021 7:29 pm 

pixellany wrote:
This week's top abuse: the verb "To ohm out".......First, is this a transitive verb???---i'd always assumed yes, but i just saw something like "It ohmed-out good"----implying that it contributed to the overall well-being of mankind by having a rational resistance value, with acceptably low measurement error.. Translation: it was in a condition that allowed a random person to measure a few key parameters which would allow another person to sya what--if anything--it might be useful for.

But, I digress......to use "ohm out" as a transitive verb is bad enough. I'm suddenly thankful that i havenot yet witnessed anyone "farading-out" a widget.....or (shudder)"henry-ing out" the same

I agree with you 100%.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 2:44 am 

pixellany wrote:
This week's top abuse: the verb "To ohm out".......First, is this a transitive verb???---i'd always assumed yes, but i just saw something like "It ohmed-out good"----implying that it contributed to the overall well-being of mankind by having a rational resistance value, with acceptably low measurement error.. Translation: it was in a condition that allowed a random person to measure a few key parameters which would allow another person to sya what--if anything--it might be useful for.

But, I digress......to use "ohm out" as a transitive verb is bad enough. I'm suddenly thankful that i havenot yet witnessed anyone "farading-out" a widget.....or (shudder)"henry-ing out" the same

I do recall "ringing out" circuits to check for unwanted shorts, using the audible beep on the DMM when a short was detected. Some people did call it "ohm out" as well.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 22, 2021 1:53 pm 

I worked for the phone company for 31 years. A term that was used was to "buzz out a circuit". You connected a gray box which emitted a tone to the pair of wires and then with an amplifier, searched for that "noise" on a pair of wires.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 3:03 pm 

and then came people like these:
https://www.ditmco.com/products/

Quote:
worked for the phone company
ATT, maybe? (before or after the breakup?)

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 5:00 pm 

pixellany wrote:
and then came people like these:
https://www.ditmco.com/products/

Quote:
worked for the phone company
ATT, maybe? (before or after the breakup?)

Mark, I started with C&P Telephone Company of MD, in Ellicott City, MD, in 1971 which became Bell Atlantic on 1/1/84, which became Verizon on 6/30/2000. I did occasionally work in “your neck of the woods”.

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 5:21 am 

I QSL that...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 9:10 pm 

Here's one that really gets me annoyed. The year is 1956. Not "nineteen hundred and fifty six". The price is $10.35. "Ten dollars, 35 cents", not "10 dollars and 35 cents. " You don't have to add " and" to everything. Reminds me of the time I was at a McDonald's and ordered a quarter pound burger without cheese. The girl says "A quarter pound burger without no cheese. " My late cousin who was an English professor would have rolled over in his grave...

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 6:22 am 

Why do they say a "five point oh earthquake"? Why not a "five earthquake"?

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 6:34 am 
Site Admin

Mike Toon wrote:

Gives precision to one decimal place.

PostPosted: Oct Fri 01, 2021 12:59 pm 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
Mike Toon wrote:

Gives precision to one decimal place.
Indeed!!!----if you live in a location that moves around a lot, then the difference between a 6 and a 6.2 can be significant.. Keep in mind that we are discussing the Richter scale---which is logarithmic, meaning that one decimal place can be significant

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 102 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next