Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Mon 06, 2021 7:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The neighbor feeds the pigeons
PostPosted: Jul Sat 10, 2021 12:13 am 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
Quote:
If she is elderly and has dementia, just lt her be and let her have her small enjoyment. You can easily hose off the sidewalk every now and then and wash you car on occasion as well.

Except pigeons are known disease vectors, in particular the fungus in their poo.

That said, I'm leaving this alone for now. Her son had a heart attack and is in the hospital, and that has me worried as the son is the only person that lives with her. Luckily people are checking on her several times a day but I certainly don't need to deal with pigeons now as she is worried enough as is

You are a gentleman.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 24, 2021 10:04 pm 

Quote:
They are seriously becoming a problem. As it hasn't rained here since April their bird crap is all over the place. Its pretty gross and I have to hose off the cars every 3 or so days.

I get a bad feeling nothing is going to work so long as they have a ready food supply.

I moved this part of your post in the thread that Alan locked, over here.

Since it seems that there is really no way to stop the birds from flocking toward a free food supply, and I presume you are working from home and not driving the cars all that much, perhaps covering the cars would be your best defense.

If you can get away with it, erect a tent top in your driveway, to shield them from aerial bombardment. If that's impractical, then simply cover each vehicle with a tarp.

Easier to hose off a tarp laying flat on the ground when removed, and you don't want the bird sh*t chemicals to attack the cars paint.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 12:43 am 

Just move, Bob. That's what she wants you to do.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 25, 2021 1:38 am 

There are bird repellant devices which I see on commercial buildings, ranging from spike strips to electronic noise makers. Have you and the others spoken with her? Of course, it is California, so you could always just sue.

https://www.sfpublicworks.org/services/pigeons

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 1:28 am 

When I was a kid I had a summer job for a few seasons working on a blueberry farm. They had several methods of keeps birds away. They seemed to work because I never saw any birds going after the blueberries.

One was these giant beach ball sized balloon with eye like patterns on them. They were on a pole and seemed to bob up and down in the wind all day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBOkqRnBPqE

They also had loud speaker mounted that played a bird in distress sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twRAM7cykIU

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 6:38 am 

If this lady has dementia and feeding those birds makes her happy for a while each day, making them disappear could have a bad effect on her. Leave them alone.

RRM

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 8:16 am 

Have you considered taking up falconry? Or is it licensed and the requirements ridiculous (above and beyond any common sense safety concerns) ?
It works for airports in reducing the incidence of bird strikes.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 12:43 pm 

......the pigeon poop thread that just wouldn't die lol. Neither will you, from a little pigeon poop. Such hysteria over "the disease vector" angle in the general population, echoed here with less hysteria. Poppycock ... if you are living in 8" of pigeon poop, I'd be concerned. A few dozen on a high wire spread over a block or two? Ummm, no, it's not going to kill anyone.

But regardless, you could set up a 24/7 high pressure air blast over the entire area that would just cause them to fly away :). It shouldn't cost too much. Or hmmm let's see... do the same with water, and keep the neighborhood lawns and flowers green at the same time. But then someone would claim that water is a disease vector.

Or, I think it was mentioned earlier, talk to the poor lady, or someone take her to a park and let her feed the birds for an hour or two a day. Seems pretty straightforward to me. And no one has to kill anything, or get in trouble for trying to kill anything.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 26, 2021 2:14 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
bobwilson1977 wrote:
they simply sit on the power lines above our house and the other nearby houses, crapping away. Since it doesn't rain 6-7 months of the year this means the amount of crap is simply accumulating all over the street, sidewalk and in some cases-our cars.

You could try the local By-Law department. Creating an environmental hazard should be a no-no, never mind the potential for slip-fall injuries on a municipal sidewalk and an accompanying law-suit (you's yanks are pretty good at filing lawsuits I hear :) )

Pigeon crap is very caustic (I have raised chickens ... it's vicious stuff ... great in gardens) and will destroy car paint in short order. Probably as bad as tree sap, maybe worse.

cheers

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 5:17 pm 

I have a super soaker water gun on order. I can't wait for it to arrive. Me and my brother can take turn aiming. Anyway, they do seem to be hanging out more at her house than ours. That's fine with me. If they eventually learn that my house is trouble then they will simply stay over there. Works out for everyone that way.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 6:34 pm 

I use a Crosman P51 slingshot to chase away squirrels. No noise, no "man with a gun". Sporting, even moreso than a BB. Where I worked they had a lot of blackbirds and a few pigeons in the hangers. They tried eye balloons and predator calls, which if they were initially effective at all, quickly became impotent. They finally went with poison. For some reason the poison got the pidgies, but the blackbirds must have ignored it. Quite by chance a Coopers hawk set up shop in the hangars for awhile and pretty much cleared them out. But then it was gone and the pests returned. How about a small drone? Might work and be fun, too. You want one that is small enough to avoid the FAA garbage I would think.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 9:39 pm 

https://davidrickert.wordpress.com/2012 ... on-martin/

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 9:59 pm 

I recently spoke to an animal control officer, who was investigating a report that someone was feeding coyotes in the area, which is illegal. These officers was sworn as they are authorized to carry weapons and can make arrests, but are not considered peace officers. As there was an incident where coyotes attacked a small child in a park, I asked the officer what did they use to shoot the coyote and was told that they used a Remington 17 caliber rifle with a 20 grain bullet.

Last edited by 3Transistors on Sep Mon 27, 2021 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 10:13 pm 

3Transistors wrote:
I asked the officer what did they use to shoot the coyote and was told that they used a Remington 17 caliber rifle with a 20 gram bullet.

Grain not gram.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 10:20 pm 

I've made the correction.

PostPosted: Sep Wed 29, 2021 11:33 pm 

The water gun arrived last night. It works beyond my imagination. Easily reached them on their perches in the phone lines. My hope is they will soon be "trained" not to occupy the area above my house. Boy were they surprised...

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 12:01 am 

bobwilson1977 wrote:
The water gun arrived last night. It works beyond my imagination. Easily reached them on their perches in the phone lines. My hope is they will soon be "trained" not to occupy the area above my house. Boy were they surprised...

I only wish that the Forum had a feature likr FaceBook where you could like or laugh at a post in a thread.

The super soaker must have been a hoot!

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 1:58 am 

bobwilson1977 wrote:

Bob, you gotta get some video of this process. It must be a hoot!

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 4:52 pm 

Maybe I will. Anyway, the water gun is more like a huge syringe. I think it holds about a quart of water and you can pump all of it out at once. On another positive, the other neighbors who feed all of the ferrel cats are moving. So one of their food sources will soon be gone. Hence less of a reason for them to stick around

PostPosted: Sep Thu 30, 2021 10:38 pm 

Bob, I repeat, ā€œYou must get us a video of the SuperSoakerā€! (Please?)

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 61 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next