Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Tue 19, 2021 7:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Knives for Cooking
PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 10:29 am 
Site Admin

My mother cooked a lot and was a good cook, but she hated sharp knives -- she always thought she was going to cut herself with one. For years now I have been using a good quality, Wusthof German Chef's knife, kept really sharp with a whetstone. Earlier this year, when I started cooking in two different locations, I bought a second chef's knife, a Japanese style (but Chinese made), Damascus steel knife. It's the same size as the Wusthof knife, but the blade is thinner and sharpened to a more acute angle (17º instead of 21º). It seemed like a really sharp knife. My mother would have hated it.

I just made an impulse purchase, something I rarely do. I bought a Japanese Usuba knife. It's a vegetable knife; something I could cut just fine with my chef's knife. I haven't used it much yet, but holy cow! This thing is razor sharp and cuts vegetables amazingly effortlessly. It can slice cleanly through a sheet of paper. I keep my other knife sharp enough to do this as well, but this knife is different somehow. It cuts so cleanly that it feels like the paper isn't even there. Quite the knife.

I had questioned why I was buying it at the time, but it's been a good choice. I haven't had any regrets, it just make cooking more enjoyable.

Kanetsune KC-500 White Steel 11-Layer Damascus Japanese Chef's Usuba(Vegetable) 165mm
Attachment:
usuba.jpg
usuba.jpg [ 267.55 KiB | Viewed 575 times ]

Post subject: Re: Knives for Cooking
PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 12:23 pm 

For a C note it better cut damn well...

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 3:29 pm 

In my experience knives are a classic "you get what you pay for". I use Cutco knives and have been very happy with them. Being able to sharpen your knives properly is another key to being satisfied with them.

best regards,
Sandy

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 3:46 pm 

Sharp, quality knives are a joy to use and safer than a dull knife.
A steel is a good accessory to have to put the edge back on knife that is just slightly dull.

We have some Wusthoff kitchen knives and they are very good. I also like Victorinox knives.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Sharpening is the most important thing you can do to get a useable knife. I have a $2 paring knife that I invested a couple of hours sharpening. It's surprising how good it got.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 4:15 pm 

We have had the same assortment of knives for years. The best one is a Calphalon Damascus steel knife. But we also have a set of old fashioned carbon steel knives made in the US by Ontario Knife Co. Whole set is like $55. You cannot run them in the dishwasher as they will rust. But after 5 years or so they all turned black and seemed to have absorbed kitchen grease so they don't rust anymore even wen cleaned with hot water and soap. These suckers can get RAZOR sharp. My brother owns a super fancy set of Japanese sharpening stones and brings them over every 4-5 months and I sharpen them all.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/OH7180 ... s-usa-made

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 4:28 pm 

I too have Wusthof German Chef's knives. I really like them and have done my share of finger cutting (unfortunately). But I can never get them as sharp as they were when new. I just don’t have that talent.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 7:21 pm 

We've enjoyed our Wuesthof knives immensely. Made the mistake of buying the Spanish-made, lower cost Wuesthof products. Sent them back to Amazon and bought from a local store where we could see what we are buying. The German-made versions hold an edge and are easier to sharpen.

Always wanted a Japanese knife, but I think the really good ones are NOT stainless steel. SST doesn't hold an edge like carbon steel, unless there are now improved SST knives.

Rich

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 7:55 pm 

I've had some luck finding good quality knives at thrift stores. I have a Cutco knife long like a bread knife that has made the best knife I've had for preparing salads. I have an old Japanese heavy stainless knife that is the one everyone wants to use at thanksgiving. I keep them razor sharp with a rod type sharpener with a spring loaded sharpening guide. I also keep a 1 lb. meat cleaver for cleaving frozen foods.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 8:31 pm 

reeves03 wrote:
For a C note it better cut damn well...

$100 is *nothing* for a quality chef's knife. However, my best kitchen knife is one my dad made from an old Ford truck leaf spring! Unless you leave it in standing water, it doesn't seem to rust. They must have made pretty good spring steel in the 50's, that thing really stays sharp.

He also had a set from some place in Germany, because wrote and asked the company if they wanted a WW II German bayonet they had made. They said yes, he send it to them (asking for nothing). They sent him back a set of their best kitchen knives!

He was always getting into weird deals like that - we also own Thomas Edison's shotgun!

Brett

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 8:36 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
Don Cavey wrote:
I too have Wusthof German Chef's knives. I really like them and have done my share of finger cutting (unfortunately). But I can never get them as sharp as they were when new. I just don’t have that talent.

Do you have a good honing steel ? I do my basic sharpening with a double grit (400 and 1000) oil stone that I have always used with soapy water. After doing a soapy water sharpening pass with the two stones I use the honing steel. They get sharp!

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 11:37 pm 

Alan - - that's a very good knife. What "non-cooks" don't realize that your tools are a part of a satisfying process. Think of trying to cut an oak board with a hacksaw - - - yes, it'll eventually work, but it's no fun doing it. Slicing veggies and meat to a precise thickness, at the perfect angle, without "sawing" on them, is a great feeling - and also the safest way to do it. We recently bought a 6" Wusthof chef's knife; a great knife for arthritic hands. It sharpens easily on a diamond "steel", and holds the edge a long time. Your Japanese knife is a good investment, even for an occasional cook/chef. Why use a Harbor Freight circular saw when there's a Festool in your shop? 8)

Dan

PostPosted: Sep Mon 27, 2021 11:51 pm 

Attachment:
IMG_098149D72D70-1.jpeg
IMG_098149D72D70-1.jpeg [ 500.4 KiB | Viewed 404 times ]

I got my wife this knife when I had a credit at Crate & Barrel and she absolutely loves it.

He's been getting really good at cooking.
You can see some of her creations (largely guided by cookbooks) on her Instagram here:
https://www.instagram.com/thecruiserkitchen/

Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 12:37 am 

Pixelhead wrote:
Attachment:
IMG_098149D72D70-1.jpeg

I got my wife this knife when I had a credit at Crate & Barrel and she absolutely loves it.

He's been getting really good at cooking.
You can see some of her creations (largely guided by cookbooks) on her Instagram here:
https://www.instagram.com/thecruiserkitchen/

Those "creations" are the work of a true food stylist! Beautifully presented. Unlike a lot of the commercial food pics - - which use fake/doctored ingredients to make it look good - - your wife's are likely delicious. She could probably make a bowl of oatmeal look tantalizing. Lucky you! :)

Dan

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 3:45 am 

Buying excellent tools is almost always money well-spent. Buying the gloves meant to be used with sharp knives is also not a bad expenditure :wink: .

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 4:52 am 
Site Admin

For all-around use, most knives are stainless steel, either forged or stamped/laser cut from sheet steel. Most everything else is made of carbon steel. Stainless steel is slightly softer than carbon steel, so it doesn't keep a sharp edge as long, but it is less prone to chipping and won't rust if mishandled. Using a honing steel regularly to keep the edge straight is good maintenance. Carbon steel knives should be washed and dried and then wiped with a light coating of oil after use. They are not a good choice for the sort of person that eaved dirty dished piled up in the sink.

The top knife is a German stainess steel knife. It has a forged blade and weighs 220 grams.
The middle knife has a Japanese-style (Chinese made) Damascus layered, forged blade. The center is carbon steel and the outer laminations are stainless, so it keeps a sharp edge without requiring really picky care. The blade is 2/3 the thickness of the German knife and weighs 202 grams.
The bottom is a Japanese knife with a carbon steel blade, the blade thickness is half that of the Germa knife and it weighs just 111 grams.
Attachment:
knives.jpg
knives.jpg [ 454.85 KiB | Viewed 347 times ]

Don Cavey wrote:
I can never get them as sharp as they were when new. I just don’t have that talent.

Sharpening isn't a difficult skill to master. It just takes a little patience to get the feel for the process. You only need around a 1000# and a 6000# stone. You use the coarse one for bringing the edge back and the finer one for polishing the edge. There are coarser and finer grits available, but not widely needed. A coarse stone is good for sharpening bad knives, like the $2 paring knife I have, although I didn't have a coarse stone when I did it and had to spend a couple of hours very slowly getting it smooth.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 12:54 pm 

My knife set resembles the one on the top. I got the forged set as opposed to the stamped set.

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 12:56 pm 

I will have to try again sharpening them. Out of the box, they would just about split a hair!

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 2:06 pm 

Here is my sharpener used by pros. Puts a razor sharp edge and a very handy tool https://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-WSSA0 ... 18GC&psc=1

Attachments:
81JgAcUPcDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
81JgAcUPcDL._AC_SL1500_.jpg [ 841.32 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]
61oqjbYvPdS._AC_SL1364_.jpg
61oqjbYvPdS._AC_SL1364_.jpg [ 429.09 KiB | Viewed 298 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Tue 28, 2021 3:10 pm 

I’ve used Henkel German knives for decades. They are so sharp they can cut a razor blade

I never mastered the trick of using the steel hone but I can get them pretty well with a few stones. Every two years or so I take them to a pro and they do a factory job on them

I had an el cheap stainless Japanese knife , Ecko if I recall, that was amazing also. The thing held an edge forever. Wooden handle with brass rivets. I don’t know what happened to it but it vanished one day. Probably with all the missing socks

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 28 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next