Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jul Mon 04, 2022 9:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Is time an illusion?
PostPosted: May Sat 21, 2022 5:21 am 

Indiana Radios wrote:
I guess that's just the limet to my logic, something has to have a purpose in order to exist. Without purpose, why exist?

I guess if I had a question to ask God, I'd ask what is the purpose for the existance of everything?

Time may not be a human construct, but purpose most likely is. Purpose is derived from the past by examining how an object or event influenced another. Thus we ascribe a purpose to the first object or event. Knowing this enables us project purpose into the future; we create purpose when we make or even plan something with a particular use.

Both activities require a human being if purpose is going to be relevant. Early humans thought the purpose of the sun was to light and heat the earth. Is that really its purpose? I doubt the sun thinks so. Whatever its purpose, without humans to perceive purpose, it's irrelevant.

PostPosted: May Sat 21, 2022 6:19 am 

hwhall wrote:
Additionally, IIRC, measured distances in the direction traveled shrink as well so that perhaps the photon (if it were conscious) would say that it went a trip of zero distance in zero time.
Yes, you got it, but in addition to that the distance it traveled from our perspective could be the whole span of the universe rather than the zero distance the photon experiences.

There are two frames of reference, that of the photon is one. The other is our frame of reference. In our frame of reference years may pass, but if we could put ourselves in the frame of reference of the photon zero time would pass.

Curtis Eickerman

PostPosted: May Sat 21, 2022 3:23 pm 

Maybe time itself exists, but the measurement of time is a Human thing. How Dogs or other animals sense time is not clearly understood. It could be something else at play. Canines face in magnetic North-South alignment when they do #2. Who knows how or why. Animals can sense things like tidal waves or earthquakes about to happen. Some kind of 6th or 7th senses? Some kind of connection to quantum reception? One with the "Force" for lack of a better term? Who knows.

PostPosted: May Sat 21, 2022 7:02 pm 

I have always wondered about the "time doesn't exist" statment.entropy certainly does.otherwise we would not have to repaint our houses,car...etc.we would not have to recap ,retube or replace drifted resistors. Entropy is defined as the measurement of degree of randomness or in other words, it is the increase in the disorganization within a system. RonL

PostPosted: May Sat 21, 2022 7:16 pm 

Kevin Clark wrote:
Canines face in magnetic North-South alignment when they do #2.

Apparently my dog missed the memo. :wink:

PostPosted: May Sat 21, 2022 7:31 pm 

processhead wrote:
Kevin Clark wrote:

You're lucky your dog even puts up with you... :wink:

PostPosted: May Sat 21, 2022 8:25 pm 

Kevin Clark wrote:
...... Animals can sense things like tidal waves or earthquakes about to happen. Some kind of 6th or 7th senses? Some kind of connection to quantum reception? One with the "Force" for lack of a better term? Who knows.

Better hearing and sense of smell, in direct contact with the ground to feel vibrations. Our dog could "predict" the garbage truck when it was over a mile away.

RRM

PostPosted: May Sat 21, 2022 9:56 pm 

fifties wrote:
processhead wrote:
Kevin Clark wrote:

You're lucky your dog even puts up with you... :wink:

Richard, glad to see your recent ailments have not affected your wry sense of humor. 8)

PostPosted: May Sun 22, 2022 3:27 am 

Kevin Clark wrote:

Obviously you've never met my Corgi! Whatever direction he's headed is where he's facing when the urge strikes. :lol:

He is obviously perceptive to noise as he knows before it is seen that the UPS truck is coming down the road. Some of the drivers gave him a treat and some still do. He also knows when one of our vehicles pulls onto the place and depending on his mood may or may not greet us.

The cattle do know when it is feeding time and if it varies too much they do get annoyed but then I do as well!

"Time keeps on ticking, ticking ... into the future"

PostPosted: May Sun 22, 2022 4:07 pm 

Thank you Steve Miller!

PostPosted: May Mon 23, 2022 4:05 pm 

I'm seeing him in concert in August.

"some people call me a space cowboy"

Bill

PostPosted: May Thu 26, 2022 11:25 pm 

Slippin' slippin' Into the Future ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxd_eDTbBMQ
:idea: Back when he was learning and listening to radio, Steve Miller bought a left-handed Stratocaster and played it upside down to get the same effects Hendrix was inventing.

"Time, time, time was on our side, Yes it was" .... Mick, Keith and Bill, keep on rollin'. 8)

"Time stands still for no man".
Whoever said that, like he was no Einstein, eh, yuck yuck.

PostPosted: May Fri 27, 2022 12:18 pm 

I don't think time is an illusion unless we're all a part of one giant simulation.

What we try to do is reconcile the scales of time. We humans have devised a time scale that is derived from earth's rotation and orbit of the sun. If the habital zone for earth was at the orbit of Jupiter, our time scale would be very different. Meanwhile the geological time scales remain unaffected by our counting of time.

PostPosted: May Sun 29, 2022 1:38 am 

I thought that time was just nature's way making sure that everything doesn't happen all at once.

Joseph

PostPosted: Jun Thu 02, 2022 5:41 am 

I will tell you when time becomes important to you. That is when your doctor tells you that you have inoperable cancer., Time means a lot but can also mean a little. Tom

PostPosted: Jun Thu 02, 2022 7:36 pm 

hwhall wrote:
Sounds like some of you are thinking of time as a scale of days/hours/minutes & so on, and others are thinking of time as the passing of events & evolution of the universe from big bang to heat death.

Indeed. Most humans (or whales) live longer than all dogs do, that is a fact. The measurement of how long each type of creature lives, and the use of Earth's spinning speed as a reference for such measurement, are definitely human concepts.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 02, 2022 7:44 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
I suppose this is similar to the "if a tree falls in the woods, and no one is there to hear it, did it make a noise?

The tree's falling in the woods definitely caused changes in air pressure nearby, radiating outward, that were detectable. Those pressure changes would only be called "a noise" if a human was in the detectable-by-a-human range.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 03, 2022 12:09 am 

ChrisW6ATV wrote:
Barry H Bennett wrote:
I suppose this is similar to the "if a tree falls in the woods, and no one is there to hear it, did it make a noise?

The tree's falling in the woods definitely caused changes in air pressure nearby, radiating outward, that were detectable. Those pressure changes would only be called "a noise" if a human was in the detectable-by-a-human range.
What would a bird or a squirrel call it?
Would they be startled by the pressure change, yes, they would. It would be a familiar sound to the older animals, a "tree fall down" sound.
Humans are arrogant to think that time, sound, and the world in general exist only for them.

PostPosted: Jun Fri 03, 2022 4:29 pm 

westcoastjohn wrote:
Humans are arrogant to think that time, sound, and the world in general exist only for them.

True, but we could say the hungry lion searching for its next meal certainly believes it is the center of the universe, and probably arrogant, as well.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 05, 2022 4:57 am 

I think Einstein was saying time is not an absolute, or constant. It is affected by gravity, for instance. If we are to say there is no such thing as time, then I ask if we can deny there are functions of time: velocity (rate divided by time), frequency (cycles per second--without frequency you could not tune in a radio, bank interest per month, etc.) We could go all the way, and say everything that we think exists is just an illusion. If you can read this, it means you are not a figment of my imagination.
John

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 60 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3