Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Sun 02, 2022 9:22 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: I miss the old days when no-one cared about your feelings!!
PostPosted: Aug Mon 08, 2022 11:30 pm 

In today society one is no longer able to ask the question, What the heck were you thinking???!!! God forbid if you scold someone at the workplace, or on social media!! One now has to be very careful and try not to hurt their feelings!!!! For if you hurt someone's feelings YOUR the one with the problem!!

I think back to my first couple years in the service!! I don't think half these kids today would make it!!

There is a posting in the elec/mech section where I wanted to so badly say a few explicatives!!---I ofcourse refrained!!

I guess I am old school. retired military, grumpy old man who has a hard time in today'society---

I guess I have earned the title. "Grumpy old man"! :)

http://pages.suddenlink.net/davesradios/

Post subject: Re: I miss the old days when no-one cared about your feeling
PostPosted: Aug Mon 08, 2022 11:48 pm 

Dave Slusarczyk wrote:
I guess I am old school. retired military, grumpy old man who has a hard time in today'society---

Wear that banner proudly my brother, You've earned it!
From one vet to another, Thank you for your service.

PostPosted: Aug Mon 08, 2022 11:50 pm 

Where did it all go wrong?
Today... if I lightly smack the checkout girl on the bottom with my morning newspaper and say 'hey good looking' it's called sexual assault... :shock:

Cupcake. lol

PostPosted: Aug Mon 08, 2022 11:50 pm 

scott.hettel wrote:
Dave Slusarczyk wrote:

Wear that banner proudly my brother, You've earned it!
From one vet to another, Thank you for your service.

Thank you my brother!! Thank you for your service!

PostPosted: Aug Mon 08, 2022 11:55 pm 

That's why kids today get "participation" trophys. Don't want to hurt the little darlings feelings and give em a taste of the real world. They come away feeling they don't have to earn anything through hard work, just show up and you'll get the prize. We're raising a generation of spoiled wimps. :roll:

Larry

PostPosted: Aug Mon 08, 2022 11:56 pm 

egg wrote:
Today... if I lightly smack the checkout girl on the bottom with my morning newspaper and say 'hey good looking' it's called sexual assault... :shock:

Yeah, but you might get upset if some guy did that to you. :wink:

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 12:15 am 

It is a much different world now for sure. Was just thinking today on how I'm sure glad I was able to live at the particular period of time that I did. It was after the really hard life of living through a depression or world war and also before all this current global turmoil and societal upheaval.

Somewhat related... watch this old school comedian Brad Uptons video for a laugh. Performed by an old guy telling about his experiences growing up. Hilarious! He references another of his videos about milllenials that is also a very fun watch as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjpBE5Bb0SI

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 12:28 am 

egg wrote:

Cupcake. lol

I don't think people would call it sexual assault, but these days most people would consider it to be rude, probably including the girl. If you asked a young woman her feeling about that, do you think she'd say it was appreciated?

I do agree that the backlash gets ridiculous at times, but I think that overall the societal change is an improvement. Guys got away with a lot of crap for a long time and women just had to put up with it. I won't miss that.

Last edited by David Kulka on Aug Tue 09, 2022 12:45 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 12:40 am 

David Kulka wrote:
I don't think people would call it sexual assault, but these days most people would consider it to be rude, probably including the girl.

I do agree that the backlash gets ridiculous at times, but I think that overall the societal change is an improvement. Guys got away with a lot of crap for a long time and women just had to put up with it. I won't miss that.

Yes, agreed. There's a place in the world for "respect for others".

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 1:02 am 

youse guys want to get off your high horses... :shock:
You don't know me or the first thing about me, so keep your twisted opinions of the illustrated situation to yourselves.

Life was good where I grew up
and... for your information I have the utmost respect for women - - - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. lol

Greg.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 1:06 am 

egg wrote:
You don't know me or the first thing about me, so keep your twisted opinions of the illustrated situation to yourselves.

and... for your information I have the utmost respect for women - - - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it. lol

Greg.

Dude, didn't mean to hurt your feelings!

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 1:09 am 

Tim Mullen wrote:
egg wrote:

Yeah, but you might get upset if some guy did that to you. :wink:

Egg would like it I would suspect. Is it sexual assault if egg asking for another... :wink:

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 1:38 am 

I attribute it to too many folks taking themselves, and life in general, way too seriously.
Lighten up for crying out loud. :D

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 1:43 am 

Grumpy old men here on ARF is a theme :lol:

At a past job I used to train people, it taught me a lot about tact. It was the type of job where someone could get frustrated very easily, so I had to work with them gingerly.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 2:06 am 

tubes4life wrote:

At a past job I used to train people, it taught me a lot about tact. It was the type of job where someone could get frustrated very easily, so I had to work with them gingerly.

I too did tech-support years ago. It seems years ago I had more patience for people. I tuned 60 about a month ago and it appears I could not do it now!! :)

I wish I had the patience I once did!

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 3:00 am 

Dave Slusarczyk wrote:
tubes4life wrote:

I too did tech-support years ago. It seems years ago I had more patience for people. I tuned 60 about a month ago and it appears I could not do it now!! :)

We have a lot in common. I did tech support years ago and I currently do technical training. Turned 59 on the 6th of July. And yes, I am a grumpy old man and proud of it.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 3:05 am 

scott.hettel wrote:
Dave Slusarczyk wrote:
tubes4life wrote:

We have a lot in common. I did tech support years ago and I currently do technical training. Turned 59 on the 6th of July. And yes, I am a grumpy old man and proud of it.

Wear it proudly!! :)

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 3:18 am 

rocketeer wrote:
That's why kids today get "participation" trophys. Don't want to hurt the little darlings feelings and give em a taste of the real world. They come away feeling they don't have to earn anything through hard work, just show up and you'll get the prize. We're raising a generation of spoiled wimps. :roll:

Larry

I was told that participation trophies are more for the teachers than they are for the kids. It's a policy to help make sure that both the teacher and school pay attention to every single child, therefore no child is left out of a ceremony. The kid is already aware he earned nothing but at least he's not being ignored. It's not enough, but its something. We've all seen how disenfranchised children with very low self esteem can grow up to become dangerous.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 3:24 am 

egg wrote:

Greg.

Greg, I don't presume to know anything about you or how you grew up. I was replying to the example you gave, which could be about anybody. I assumed it was probably hypothetical, and you weren't talking about a personal habit.

I do agree that people can be ridiculously sensitive these days. It's exhausting sometimes. Still, a bit of a head scratcher that someone with the utmost respect for women would make that particular comment, even if it was just a joke. Maybe just an unfortunate example, but it raised my hackles a bit and after all, this is a discussion forum. I'm sorry if I annoyed you even more than you already were. :| Carry on everyone, please.

PostPosted: Aug Tue 09, 2022 3:59 am 

David, you or no one else offended me.

You are no doubt familiar with the phrase small-town-America, well... that's the kinda place where I grew up. Everyone knew each other, and there was plenty of foolin' around, without racism, intended sexism, or any male chauvinist behavior.

The grocery store story was about girls/women that I had known for 35+ years - - and I was drawing a comparison to the way things are today, and what you now cannot be seen to do.
Yes, it's often common to look at the past through rose tinted glasses, but that's the way things were back then.

Some years back I held a door open for a middle aged lady downtown, she smiled at me and said 'my goodness' 'no one has done that for years' lol

anyhoo… it's a long time since any horses walked the streets of Manhattan... :)
Greg.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 45 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next