Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Wed 26, 2020 5:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: how I'm doing RadioRich new interview wally world
PostPosted: Jul Sun 01, 2012 4:43 pm 

Hello Everyone,
I know you've read about The GM 160a I'm getting I'm trading labor for this set So there is not loss for me or the store owner.Well anyways I wanted to update you I moved into my oneroom apartment june 1 I have been gathering items to make it more hommie for now I have some antique furniture to restore till I get radio or tv to redo

I'm still applying for jobs what sucks is I applied for this full time job" MAINTENANCE TECHNICIAN/FAIR COORDINATOR"

The Okanogan County Parks & Recreation Board is accepting applications for the position of Maintenance Technician/Fair Coordinator. Starting salary is $13.06 per hour for a variable schedule of between 24 and 40 hours per week depending on work assignment. Position is benefited and non-union.

REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS

Two years of work experience as a building or grounds maintenance worker.

Experience as a custodian/janitor in a commercial or institutional environment.

Knowledge of the field of assignment sufficient to perform thoroughly and accurately the full scope of responsibility as illustrated by examples in the above job description.

Experience in computer software i.e., Word, Excel and other Fair programs.

Possession of a valid Washington State Driver’s License, although not a requirement CDL licensing desired.

Ability to satisfactorily pass a comprehensive, in-depth background investigation that shows no criminal activity that could directly affect the ability to perform the job.

Ability to pass a safety exam once a year.

Have or obtain an applicators license through Okanogan Weed Board testing.

they called me to say they had sellected me out of 4 people for the job and wanted to have me meet them to go over what I would be doing far as the job goes at the fair rest of the year I would work at various county sites

Here I thought was where they wanted to meet me http://okanogancounty.org/HR/
but instead they wanted to meet me at the fairgrounds thats 2 1/2 miles away from that building
I was even 45 minutes early get this earlier that week when the lady called it was from a blocked phone no.

They did not give me a no to contact them incase something took place or I had any questions finding the place .
So what I did was to call the next morning as soon as they opened to find out what happen I got a answering machine then about noon the lady called to tell me that they figured I did not want the job so they called the runner up to tell him he had the job :cry: ]
What heck kind sham is this county running my father said they Already had someone in mind they already worked for the county or was friends with someone there .
He had the samething happen to him in the past Goverment and cities and county's are crooks they take care of their own even if that guy can't do the job

I applied for other jobs too no work except with home depot for few interviews but nothing comes of them either
the last interview at home depot was for frieght team Because they let two people go because they would take off for lunch and not return .

I have not got call for that job after my interview I really find that the management at home depot is just a power trip and they don't really care about good workers I'm kinda sick of that place whats the deal the darn manager complains to me about works but he does not want to higher me is he afraid I'll take his job or that I have a brain .
Can't wait to get working on a radio or two I need to find something for a bench to use in my apartment something nice

Last edited by radiorich on Jul Sat 14, 2012 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: my up date how I'm doing RadioRich
PostPosted: Jul Sun 01, 2012 4:57 pm 

Hello guys,
don't get me wrong I love the area and people are really nice here and I love the out doors and all the lakes infact there is like 25 in just my area alone .

I also like that land is afordable to !.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 01, 2012 7:11 pm 

Hi Rich, Wow...that was a lot of requirements for $13 bucks
an hour, IMO. :o
Interesting what you say about HD. I never worked there, just
shopped...but got the same impression as I watched three
managers stand around and talk...it reeked of "dogs protecting
their bones." :roll:
Why not put an Ad in the local paper or CL offering your
services as a Handyman ? I did that once 20 years ago
during a slow time, and was amazed at the amount of work!
Senior citizen centers are good to place a AD on their bulletin
board. It seems if you are competant, on time (as per appt.),
reasonable$, and when you leave there is Zero mess -people
think you are amazing! :roll:
I found that funny. :wink:

PostPosted: Jul Sun 01, 2012 7:16 pm 

Thanks for the update there Rich. Best of luck to you always.

PostPosted: Jul Sun 01, 2012 8:44 pm 

Most public service jobs already have someone picked out for them, but by law they have to post a job opening. I found out how this works when I applied for a job with the city, the person who got the job had half the qualifications I had but had a relative working for the city.

Keep looking, something will turn up.

Dave

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 12:18 am 

I wish you all the best, Rich. Hope you get a job soon.
Bill Cahill

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 2:26 am 

remove

Last edited by Ken G on Jul Fri 20, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 2:42 am 

Ken G wrote:
Start your own small repair/2nd hand business . People everywhere need stuff fixed or to buy good fixed used stuff .

Ken, that sounds like a great idea....
I agree....
Bill Cahill

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 3:18 am 

Hello Ken,
that is what my friend is doing a second hand store but not with me but her husband :x
my self I have no where to repair the stuff or any money to start the business on the coast I can get all the free stuff to sell but I wanted to move here to a area where I could buy a place of my own on the coast houses and land is to much :cry:

I am right now working on a 1948 pinball machine at a local antique store but I really can't work on anything at my apartment they will not allow it not flameable chemicals I still don't know how I can restore any radios yet I may not be allowed to have my solding station or any type of cleaning chemicals .
Right now I'm trying to find someone to allow me to use their woodworking shop to build a couple of gifts for xmas and also maybe to sell

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 3:21 am 

Hello Ken,
I'm trying to talk my so called friend to allow me to join in on the business See she gave me the shaft Me and her originaly were going to do that business She says She can't trust me thats why her and hubby are doing it instead .

to set the record strat I don't know if I can trust her and her hubby He's a user if you know what I mean

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 3:27 am 

radiorich wrote:
Hello Ken,
I'm trying to talk my so called friend to allow me to join in on the business See she gave me the shaft Me and her originaly were going to do that business She says She can't trust me thats why her and hubby are doing it instead .

to set the record strat I don't know if I can trust her and her hubby He's a user if you know what I mean

No-brainer! Why do you continue to put yourself between this ladyfriend and her husband?

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 3:28 am 

Rich,

"Handymen" that can do stuff and will respond on the same day as a phone call are in demand. Make an add with those tear off phone numbers underneath. Post in some places that people who have money will see. It might cost you $5 or $10 to post the ad at a dog groomer, but it is worth the cost. A supermarket is so-so and a laundromat is not going to work as you are advertising to people that cannot afford a washing machine. Ace / True Value hardware stores are ok places for an ad also. The good places always require a bribe.

I used to make a lot of money as an engineer, but I am making ends meet barely as a "handyman". A lot of the payments are cash, which helps. You can make 400-600 a week, sometimes more. Keep advertising. Word of mouth will take over when they like you.

PS. These people require a lot of swallowing of pride. And be prepared, they want you to do everything, mice, poison ivy, pests in the attic. "THERE IS A RACCOON TRAPPED IN MY CHIMNEY!!!" Not fun.

PPS. You need less friends with husbands.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 3:31 am 

Quote:
PPS. You need less friends with husbands.

Agree.

As mentioned, advertising will get you work. The lobby of Doctor's offices or even Senior centers. JMO

http://www.southwestwoodcrafts.com

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 3:35 am 

radiorich wrote:
Hello Ken,
I'm trying to talk my so called friend to allow me to join in on the business See she gave me the shaft Me and her originaly were going to do that business. She says She can't trust me, thats why her and hubby are doing it instead ...
to set the record straight I don't know if I can trust her and her hubby. He's a user if you know what I mean

RICH ! :shock:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :roll: Are you nuts?
DO your Own thing!

radiorich wrote:
I am right now working on a 1948 pinball machine at a local antique store but I really can't work on anything at my apartment they will not allow it not flameable chemicals I still don't know how I can restore any radios yet I may not be allowed to have my solding station or any type of cleaning chemicals .
Right now I'm trying to find someone to allow me to use their woodworking shop...l

PS: See if you can rent (should be cheap) a small unit
in an industrial park :idea: :?:

Last edited by RadioNut39 on Jul Mon 02, 2012 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 3:42 am 

Working for anyone else but yourself is no fun. I have never tried to work for the city, county or government but I can only imagine that they would all be a pain to work for and I am sure they only hire people that are closely connected to others that are already in the system.

If you need a place to do some work on radios or other stuff you could rent a storage unit and do the work there. Small units only cost around $30 a month. The only problem would be you need electricity for your soldering gun. I don't know if they rent out units with electricity or not?

You might want to run an ad in the newpaper and say that you can fix radios or other stuff. You could also say that you buy them. It only costs around $35 to put an ad in the paper around here. My Dad is a Schwann's man and runs into elderly people with radios they have had for along time but they no longer work. If I was better at fixing them I would tell my Dad to ask the people to let me fix them for a small fee but I am not that good yet and don't want to mess them up.

If you don't feel comfortable fixing other peoples stuff you could buy them cheap at yard sales etc.. and sell them after you get them working. As many members have told me on this site it is never hard to find them if you keep an eye out.

I go to auctions & garage sales and buy stuff to resell atleast 3 times a week. You might be able to do that but it is not always easy to sell the stuff. Ebay sells a lot for me but it is easy to rack up the fees and not even realize it. I try to buy as low as possible. It is hard not to get caught up in the bidding wars at the auctions. I just let the other guy get it at a fair price and move on to the next item that interests me. You will find that there is always something you can buy that most others have no idea has value.

Radios rarely come through the auction house here in town and when they do I usually have to pay more than I would at estate sales & garage sales. Estate sales are the way to go because of the wide variey of items for sale. You can get a lot of great deals at any estate or farm auction. Don't give up after your first try it took me several months to get the hang of it. I still struggle sometimes but I make ends meet and do nothing but buy and resell used goods. It beats working at a fast food joint.

I hope you can make yourself some money fixing and selling stuff or atleast find a job until you can start your own business. If you have any questions about selling on Ebay there are many of us sellers here that can help you. It is really not that hard to do.

Kris

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 4:05 am 

Quote:
You might want to run an ad in the newpaper and say that you can fix radios or other stuff. You could also say that you buy them. It only costs around $35 to put an ad in the paper around here.

Good idea also.

http://www.southwestwoodcrafts.com

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 4:54 am 

radiorich wrote:
Hello Ken,

Rich,
We've talked about that a lot. PLEASE, cut her loose! Any woman that stays with an abusive husband, but doesn't have enough sense to leave him immediately is not someone you should be around.
Misery loves company.

Us 'outsiders' here can see the situation. As you are in the "situation" you cannot see.
Come on, Rich please think hard about it, you don't need someone to drag you down, 'use you' and get caught between a married man and woman. As far as she's concerned she's still married to him. Even if she filed papers already, she is still with him. Makes no sense.
If she was serious about getting away from him, she'd be gone. As she hasn't booted the galoot out, she might never do it. Don't get involved with their issues, it's not your place to get involved. As the guys say, it's a "no brainer".

A self respecitng woman, who has good self esteem would have booted this guy out years ago. No woman in their right mind would keep going back to an abuser. She's co-dependant on him. She needs him. She doesn't need you.

Sorry if the truth is hurtful (not my intention) but it's better to cut this crap loose before you really get in deeper.

For you to get involved with their issues, is not what you need. It is their issues, let it run its course.
Concentrate on "radiorich" and his well being first and foremost.
We care about you, and want you to succeed. You will suceed eventualy, despite the low life employers you have to deal with. Lots of corruption in small towns just like the big towns.
It was dirty rotten what they did to you. They didn't even have enough 'huevos' to simply tell you that they didn't want you. Heck with them, you don't need to work for people like that.

You will find work, just keep up what you're doing. You will find a job suited to what you like to do. Furniture repair, radio repair, handyman, anything. You are very adaptable and capable of doing any kind of work. That's good.

Concentrate on getting a job as you are, do things you like to do, never give up.
Spend 100% of your time on yourself and you will be fine. You do not need to be involved with a dysfunctional pair that probebly could care less about you and your well being.
Take care bro, and will talk to you soon :)

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 5:36 am 

Hello Gary,
Well the main problem is I need a shop to do my repairs far as my so called friend we talk on the phone and exchange emails and thats it .
So you don't have to worry about that and yes She knows where I stand .
main problem is I'm getting fet up with the way they do business around here like those local goof balls at home depot .
I've gone in to to inter views but thats it it's seems they don't want good works rather deal with chaos among their help then to higher good help I think they like the power trip .
there is a guy here in town that has worked for major companies in their HR deptment and Said The manangment at Home depot love to player power trips Show who's the boss :x

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 6:09 am 

Yah Richard, Get the heck outta there. You'll never meet someone decent if your
attention is diverted to a lost cause. I was fortunate to wise up in my teens. I
knew quite a few "Train Wreck Women". Finally figured out that they were causing the
wrecks. Wasn't easy breaking away, but was worth it. Sandi and I have been married a long time. Funny thing, I was a lot more desirable after Sandi and I got together. I was immune.

You have a Sandi, Mary, Cindy, etc. out there somewhere. Not gonna find her scratching
in familiar soil. Watch out for the "Needy" types.

I bet you would meet a lot of people, and have a job on the fire/power line or other crews.
Not necessarily on the line, but support. I would suggest th North Dakota oil patch, but
there is little housing. I'm too far away from the action to help with that. Women sparse.

Not gonna say good luck. Time for you to make some. Be Well my Friend, terry h

PostPosted: Jul Mon 02, 2012 8:45 am 

Rich,

my suggestion would be to advertise (for free) in CL and The Recycler as a handyman. You could also list what you specialize in.

AFA bench repair, use the same medium to post a "garage wanted to rent" ad. That would have plenty of air circulation and almost certainly electric power, so painting, chemicals, woodworking, etc., shouldn't be an issue.

I doubt a storage unit would have an AC outlet, nor would they allow anything beyond storage to be engaged in.

AFA the gal,

there was a guy who worked in our shop -back in the early 80's- who was messin' with a married woman...Married to a lawyer, in fact, who came home one night and caught the two of 'em together.
Never found out what eventually happened to the lawyer, but I imagine, knowing the law, that he may have escaped prosecution for the murder...Never would have figured that type to be packin'...Guess our co-worker didn't either.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 31 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next