Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Mon 23, 2020 11:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Voyager image record decoded
PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2017 11:59 am 

Recently a collector's vinyl edition of the records included in the voyager missions was released. You can see it here and even order it yourself.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/oz ... ry-edition

I've always been very curious about the contents of these records, the mechanisms used to record them, the formats used , and the way in which aliens from another planet would play them back. With this release it seems we are for the first time finding out what is actually on these records and much of the curiosity I've had about them is finally being attended. I don't know if the images and audio had ever been released to the public before but it seems not. You can find the audio recordings on youtube as well as the images.

One of the more fascinating parts about this however are the images encoded in audio form on the records. I always wondered how this worked since I was a kid. Too bad this part doesn't seem to be included in the vinyl edition. Thankfully though, someone on youtube got a hold of high quality copies of the audio containing these images. The person in question managed to figure out how to decode the images, mostly using only the diagrams that were sent with the voyager spacecrafts to try and communicate to aliens how to operate them.

You can see the amazing decoding process in real time here. Hearing and seeing this is really breathtaking. Cant help but picture actual aliens doing this some day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibByF9XPAPg

You can find more details about the process and other related information in the description.

Here is a clip to the full audio.

https://soundcloud.com/user-482195982/v ... ded-images

Post subject: Re: Voyager image record decoded
PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2017 1:49 pm 

Do the "instructions" for decoding the data account for 2 channels? Off the cuff, I think that might over-complicate the chances of a vastly different culture being able to access the information on the disk.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2017 4:20 pm 

Read Carl Sagan's "Murmurs of Earth". 1978. It has details of all the pictures and audio recordings and the process used to encode the thing. The entire book is about the record, including some not so nice remarks about RCA! What I find amazing is the record plays at 16 2/3 rpm! And has pictures, stereo audio, and color pictures!

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2017 5:53 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... den+record

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2017 6:30 pm 

This could be the results of us contacting aliens!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rb9_PDFIPIw

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2017 7:05 pm 

phinegan wrote:
Do the "instructions" for decoding the data account for 2 channels? Off the cuff, I think that might over-complicate the chances of a vastly different culture being able to access the information on the disk.

I thought that too. Perhaps it would have been simpler if they just sent some golden tablets with images inscribed onto them. :lol: I think both channels are in sync too which I imagine would complicate anyone from realizing they're supposed to be different tracks.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2017 7:19 pm 

Well, the records are still "In Transit" as tracking information likes to say! I read somewhere that by the time anyone plays the records the earth will be incinerated by our sun.

PostPosted: Sep Fri 22, 2017 7:51 pm 

"Viger" is not just the proverbial "needle in a haystack", but I would surmise, needle in 1,000 haystacks. It'll never be found.

If it were the size of the moon it would have a tough time being found. Interstellar space is simply too vast (that's why they measure it in parsecs (3.26 light years, or 19 trillion miles).

Just consider the equivalent, a plastic 10 ounce water bottle in the middle of any ocean, being located.

In 40,000 years, they estimate that it'll come within 1.7 light years of a star; not a planet, and even if it was a habitable planet, it would be too far away to detect;
https://www.space.com/22783-voyager-1-i ... flyby.html

PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 3:34 am 

SteveT wrote:
What I find amazing is the record plays at 16 2/3 rpm! And has pictures, stereo audio, and color pictures!

Look up "slow scan TV" or "SSTV". Ham radio operators have been sending color pictures thousands of miles over audio channels for decades. A minute or so of encoded audio makes a pretty nice picture. It is cool indeed.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 5:27 am 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
Some of this is touched on briefly by links or other presentations - but a short digest is a fair substitute for people who don't want to go wading through mountains of info:

tube42 wrote:
Recently a collector's vinyl edition of the records included in the voyager missions was released.
Too bad they are not leaving it in the original single-disc 16 RPM format that was released in 1977 through the Smithsonian Institution.

One run was orangey-yellow almost the same hue as the previously patented Allied Record Pressing color used for demos and promos and the other run was caribbean blue almost the same hue as Moddy Blue by Elvis, the soundtrack to The Deep or the Tomita Bermuda Triangle.

Being Christmas of 1977 and not having any Star Wars toys to play with til they were shipped the following Easter - every Star Wars fan I know got a set for Christmas.
tube42 wrote:
I've always been very curious about the contents of these records,
For it's 25th Anniversary Warner Interactive produced a CD-ROM produced a $250 box set with the whole thing all the original images, the blck-and-white separations and the whole nine yards. So yes I got one blue copy and one orange copy of the original 1977 16 RPM disc - touted as the last commercially produced STEREO 16 RPM record ever made (because of e.g. Seeburg background discs being made for another ten years) and the Warner Interactive CD-ROM - (which unfortunately only runs on a period operating system or a CD-I player). So it HAS been out there before.
tube42 wrote:
the mechanisms used to record them,
Standard Neumann SX-74 cutting lathe which has a real-time cutting speed of 16-2/3 off of a 14-inch reel of quarter-inch mono tape at 15 IPS. ``Normal'' 10-1/2 inch reels only carry maximum 35 minutes each.

Trivia: Cut at the same mastering labs as most of the Half Speed Mastered audiophile LPs which were all the rage in the mid `70s before digital came along. The only thing they did was leave the tape players and the RIAA EQ set to Normal while cutting at 16.

Trivia: The Beatles ``Americana'' set (a box that was supposed to feature red vinyl reissues of `62-`66, white vinyl reissues of The White Album and blue vinyl issues of `67-`70) got the same treatment by accident and some hundred-or-so sets were sent out with each double album on one disc at 16 RPM.
tube42 wrote:
the formats used
The ``release'' format is actually a metal mother, resulting from electroplated molds of the original lacquers resulting in about an eighth-inch slab of solid metal with grooves on both sides - normally used to make the pressing plant stampers used to press the final records.
tube42 wrote:
and the way in which aliens from another planet would play them back.
One of the first linear tracking self contained phonographs was included.
tube42 wrote:
I don't know if the images and audio had ever been released to the public before but it seems not.
See above for other releases.
tube42 wrote:
One of the more fascinating parts about this however are the images encoded in audio form on the records. I always wondered how this worked since I was a kid.
See online under ``Baird Videodisc'' from the 30's and extrapolate.
tube42 wrote:
Perhaps it would have been simpler if they just sent some golden tablets with images inscribed onto them.
Too late. Angel took `em back already.

PostPosted: Sep Sat 23, 2017 5:48 pm 

According to Carl Sagan's book the record was supplied with a cartridge and a stylus, nothing was said about a turntable. The instructions on the records cover was intended to show how to get the information off the record.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 24, 2017 1:16 am 

All the files on the 'Golden Record' are available to download free (after all, we as tax payers paid for it) from the JPL website.

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/golden-rec ... he-record/

Why pay somebody for the 'privilege' of owning it when we already paid for it! The only advantage that I see is that you get it on gold colored vinyl.

It's fascinating to browse through it. I always think about the Saturday Night Live sketch where Father Guido Sarducci says that aliens find it and send back a message saying... 'Send more Chuck Berry".

You can find it at:
http://vobp.itgo.com

PostPosted: Sep Sun 24, 2017 1:32 am 

rogermjohnson wrote:
All the files on the 'Golden Record' are available to download free (after all, we as tax payers paid for it) from the JPL website.

https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/golden-rec ... he-record/

Why pay somebody for the 'privilege' of owning it when we already paid for it! The only advantage that I see is that you get it on gold colored vinyl.

It's fascinating to browse through it. I always think about the Saturday Night Live sketch where Father Guido Sarducci says that aliens find it and send back a message saying... 'Send more Chuck Berry".
You would get it as originally sent, not digitized for download.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 24, 2017 2:04 am 

It has also been suggested that long before the Voyager and its record get anywhere near another solar system, we will have one or more other spacecraft that have passed it by at higher velocities—perhaps even with human passengers. That of course assumes we stick around long enough to design and launch such vehicles without having gone up in a series of mushroom shaped clouds. Extremely creative and intelligent creatures we have evolved to be, with instincts that have evolved little, it seems sometimes. Interesting that the images make no mention of our more aggressive and territorial natures, though I suppose it's in one's own interest to put on your best manners when you meet another culture for the first time.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 24, 2017 2:47 am 

Well, this guy wants $98 for the cheapest vinyl set, or $15 for digital download. For $490 you get the 5 vinyl disc set. It mite be worth it were an exact duplicate (1 disc made of metal).

The kickstarter page says he has raised $1,363,037 from 10,786 backers. That averages out to $126.58 per person. That seems to be a whole lot of money. I am a fanatic for anything astronomy... but come on! I think I'll just keep my money in my pocket (instead of his) and struggle along with the free digital copy that comes from the source (JPL). In fact, I have had my copy for more than a decade.

You can find it at:
http://vobp.itgo.com

PostPosted: Sep Sun 24, 2017 3:00 am 

I think the prize isn't so bad for the cool package with all the cool stuff it includes. A lot of the money they're making (it's not just one person) is actually going to pay for royalties for the music and other art included in the package.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 24, 2017 9:18 pm 

Location: Gold Country, (Stanislaus National Forest) California 95235
rogermjohnson wrote:
Why pay somebody for the 'privilege' of owning it when we already paid for it!
Same reason I paid for my 7-LP colored vinyl set for the 50th Anniversary of the Bell Labs/Leopold Stokowski Stereo Experiments of the early 30's.

Not only that, I bought a domestic set made from standard lacquers and an import copy from Teldec cut on DMM AND the 3-CD box set from Japan besides.

The CDs don't play anymore being from 1983 but both the LP box sets plays fine plus they are cool to watch on a vertical open-air linear tracking turntable.
rogermjohnson wrote:
'Send more Chuck Berry".
Queen Isabel Johnson wrote:
You gawn fine Stevie Wonder? Oh you KNOW YOU have to go to America NOW! Here go 3 ships and a 7-Up and a bucket o'chicken and some American Express Travelrer's Cheques and (scatting) Shooby dooby doop! He gawn fine Stevie Wonder in America and bring me back some re-e-cords so's I can ji-i-i-i-ive.
Plus I don't have any RGB or YCM seps printed on the colored transparencies - all the ones I use in class I have to put em on three ovehead projectors and then change the lenses out and converge `em on the screen.

These ones included in this set are already printed on colored transparencies so no need to change lenses. Its one of the rare times i wish people would have 3 organic eyes instead of two organic and one psychic (it's why you can't dream in color (LOL)

PostPosted: Sep Sun 24, 2017 10:13 pm 

Quote:
Interesting that the images make no mention of our more aggressive and territorial natures

I found it interesting he included so many shots of primitive cultures.

Scott

PostPosted: Sep Mon 25, 2017 1:46 am 

Just as likely that in two billion years it will get attracted into the gravitational field of some astral body and either smash up or burn up. But it is even possible that starship archeologists will intercept it on a carefully calculated course and grab it for study of 20th century technology. From earth. No one else will know it is there.

PostPosted: Sep Mon 25, 2017 9:48 am 

I guess everyone involved with the mission already knew it was a slim chance of anyone ever finding it. But hey, we're sending the thing out there anyway, may as well put in a message.

There actually used to be a forum member who had worked closely with the project. Was a very interesting guy and helped me out a lot. Sadly he has passed away. He had written a few books about physics for children.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next