Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Wed 21, 2020 12:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A really good LED flashlight
PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 3:51 am 

Any of you know of or own a nice.. very good... bright clear LED flashlight?
looking for one about the size of a normal household flashlight... and not one of those ultra expensive types.

Post subject: Re: A really good LED flashlight
PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 4:15 am 

ANYTHING Nebo - I got momentarily blinded by one at the parts place on Thursday. They have a display with about 6-8 Nebo models - flashlights and lanterns, and I got to playin' - :shock: Had to wander around a bit to get rid of a big blob in the center of my vision.

The sales guy warned me too...... :oops:

Edit: Looked it up - Redline Blast. I was playing with it when I activated the strobe. Looked at it and pressed the button again - full 1400 lumens at 1 foot...

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 5:00 am 

Location: Radio Heaven, North Carolina, near Charlotte, 28106-3015
Me too, but I only want one that uses standard batteries, no rechargeables.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 5:15 am 

How about a Maglite and put a LED bulb in it?

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 5:25 am 

AJJ wrote:

I also think the (free w/ coupon) Harbor Freight flashlight is pretty good.

Those I have found to be excellent! I even paid a few bucks for more of them. Don't let the small size fool you, they illuminate very well. They have 9 ultra bright LED's, and use 3 AAA batteries. You can't look directly at the light, it's too bright.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 5:36 am 

I have 2 Defiant 3 AAA LED flashlights from Lowes.Paid $9 bucks for them a couple years ago.They work OK on a set of Duracell rechargeables from BJs wholesale club . The set of alkaline batteries that came with the lights went flat in no time.Probably old stock. One has a loose connection in the lamp section which I got to look into it .They 100 percent better and brighter then the old regular flashlight.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 5:47 am 

The Dollar store 3 AAA battery flashlights that only have 3 LED's are no match for the one's from Harbor Freight.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 6:23 am 

I have both Eveready and RayOVac brand full size (2 D cells) flashlights that were bought at Dollar General. The Ray-O-Vac uses 3 leds, the Eveready uses one. Neither is super bright but the batteries last a loooooooong time, as in years. I also have a small, rugged, and very bright 3 led one from either Home Depot or Lowes that is handy but the AAA's don't last long.

RRM

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 8:07 am 

Flashlights are the new ties for gifts. At least until about everyone who might give you a gift has provided one or two apiece. I never have to go out and actually buy one. :)

There's two winners in my camp. One is the Lucy, a 7-LED inline array that casts a very broad and even light, magnetic pocket clasp that swivels so you can attach it to metal and rotate the beam. It's actually a "found" lamp, it was sitting on a ledge in an old abandoned miner's cabin. Someone forgot it there while exploring. It stuck out because it's hot-pink. Ok, not actually a gift. Still, free to me!

The second was a Christmas gift some years back. It's a Craftsman single LED with a spot-focused lens. No model number I could see. Sturdy and runs on two AA, instead of the usual triple AAA. Throws a strong spot that pierces the darkness to a very decent distance. One of the few I never need to work on.

Between these two, I have it covered. A runner-up is the crank-version triple LED Mom gave me. Always ready with no worries about dead or leaky batteries. Crank it for a bit and find what you were looking for then ignore it again till next time.

There's the usual plethora of the generic trip-AAA cheapies. Work, but need batteries more often and more cleaning/maintenance. The blinding strobe style currently being sold I do not need nor want.

Then again, why not go retro?
-Ed

Attachments:
flashlites.jpg
flashlites.jpg [ 113.37 KiB | Viewed 3247 times ]

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 8:28 am 

I bought a set of 3 at Costco. One each D, C, and AA battery size for around $30.

Very high quality.

DDG

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 8:45 am 

https://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-Virtuall ... B004Y6DM9W

Bright, cheap, uses common battery.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 10:30 am 

AJJ wrote:
How about a Maglite and put a LED bulb in it?

I tried that with one of the drop in LED bulbs but the tiny LED and low voltage from the D cells made for a poor light.
I would go with something with Lithium Ion batteries, Alkalines can't beat them for longevity.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 12:33 pm 

This Dorcy Cyberlight is my favorite. Bright, focused-beam type. I like that it's square, it doesn't roll away when I lay it down. Had it about 6 years now, still going strong. Available in several other colors.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002OOZERY/

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 2:14 pm 

I really like the Streamlight Stinger HPL series, there' a rechargeable one that's 800 lumens, which is really bright. Streamlight products have basically displaced Maglites as the flashlight of choice in emergency vehicles and carried by first responders. My son outfits emergency vehicles and many departments have requested their Maglites be removed and replaced by the much brighter Streamlight products.

There's no comparison between an LED Maglite and an LED Streamlight, other than the Maglite is heavier.

http://www.gideontactical.com/store/pro ... er-DS-HPL/ You can sometimes find them for just a little over $100. There are several options for chargers, 12VDC, 120VAC, and a combination unit that works from either power source.

Also I haven't yet tried one but Home Depot supposedly has 800 lumen LED flashlights that use regular batteries for under $30.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 2:26 pm 

My favorite one is by Feit Electric - bought a 3-pack at Costco. Very sturdy, all metal, feels solid and has the zoom feature to vary the size of the circle of light. Very bright.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 3:34 pm 

I have the Duracell from Costco, it uses 4 "C" batteries.
This thing is insanely bright, it's not just a bunch of cheesy LED's, it's one large LED chip with adjustable focus for "Spot" or "Flood"

It's the brightest flashlight I ever seen for it's size. 20 bucks, I just don't care for the strobe feature.

You wont be disappointed.

http://costcocouple.com/duracell-led-fl ... 00-lumens/

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 4:13 pm 

Rocco53 wrote:
I have the Duracell from Costco, it uses 4 "C" batteries.
This thing is insanely bright, it's not just a bunch of cheesy LED's, it's one large LED chip with adjustable focus for "Spot" or "Flood"

It's the brightest flashlight I ever seen for it's size. 20 bucks, I just don't care for the strobe feature.

You wont be disappointed.

http://costcocouple.com/duracell-led-fl ... 00-lumens/

I have one of those, as does the XYL. Had them for over a year. It is my go to daily driver flashlight. Really bright, focuser works well, rugged.

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 5:01 pm 

I was looking for a new LED flashlight last week. I got bewildered with all the choices.

What I need is a hex or square shape barrel, alkaline battery, prefer at least AA but "C" will work. Adjustable beam, no frills. I need to dispatch vermin and the adjustable beam will be handy, the no roll shape will allow tie wrap attachment to the dispatch device...

Yes, I have had a couple of those triple AAA 9-led wonders, I tend to punch out the button switch, can't seem to fix it permanently... No focus and not bright enough to get into trees 75 feet or so...

Anyone see such a beast?

Chas

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 5:18 pm 

Findm-Keepm wrote:
ANYTHING Nebo - I got momentarily blinded by one at the parts place on Thursday. They have a display with about 6-8 Nebo models - flashlights and lanterns, and I got to playin' - :shock: Had to wander around a bit to get rid of a big blob in the center of my vision.

The sales guy warned me too...... :oops:

Edit: Looked it up - Redline Blast. I was playing with it when I activated the strobe. Looked at it and pressed the button again - full 1400 lumens at 1 foot...

I used to have a "Larry" by Nebo. Great little light for working in dark corners. Well, its switch crapped out and I bought one of the newer ones with the COB LEDs. Like you described, it temporarily blinded me when I first turned it on. They also have a Big Larry that's more than twice as potent!

Visit my homebrew page
www.sparkbench.com/homebrew/homebrew.html

PostPosted: Sep Sun 17, 2017 6:02 pm 

Streamlight brand for sure. They make something for everyone and are the go-to place for most law enforcement people. I have used streamlight products since the early '80s when I first learned about them.
I have a pocket penlight that is rechargeable and lasts for many hours (it's never gone dead yet before I plugged it in) As a matter of fact, I have several of them in strategic places for quick retrieval.
They have other models, some that make far more light than mine, some that to other things better, but don't fit in my pocket very well. But go to their website and you WILL find something that it just right for YOU.

Made in U.S.A and very high quality.

Mark D.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 46 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next