Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Mon 18, 2019 10:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Things that don't add up
PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 12:50 pm 

fifties wrote:
Philco Fan wrote:
Gas is cheaper than milk here.At last fill-up it was $2.49 but when the new 12 cent road tax went into effect on the 1st the price went up 30 cents to $2.79.How 12 cents became 30 cents I do not know....

You obviously don't have the makings to become a politician... :wink:

Or doesn't follow crude oil prices - we recently hit a 2-year high.

http://www.nasdaq.com/markets/crude-oil.aspx

Gas here is 2.11 a gallon, but points west of here have it for 2.06 a gallon. Milk is still $1.78 - $2.19 a gallon. Delivered, it's 3.20 a half gallon, and those Mennonite dairies produce a sinful chocolate milk...... :D

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 2:27 pm 

At these prices it doesn't add up for sure.

Nation City Price in USD Regular/Gallon
United Kingdom London $5.79
Germany Frankfurt $5.57
France Paris $5.54
Portugal Lisbon $5.35

Missouri USA $2.10

John k9uwa

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 3:06 pm 

k9uwa wrote:
At these prices it doesn't add up for sure.

Nation City Price in USD Regular/Gallon
United Kingdom London $5.79
Germany Frankfurt $5.57
France Paris $5.54
Portugal Lisbon $5.35

Missouri USA $2.10

John k9uwa

Prices in Europe are all fairly close, and expensive! Could be EU price controls to keep them somewhat standardized?

Ag commodities (like milk) in the US have a variety of federal subsidies paid to producers that keep some of our retail food prices lower than many other parts of the developed world.

Another explanation for low prices is short term over-production of some commodities that results in low prices to help reduce the over-supply.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 3:09 pm 

here is another one:

why is gas more expensive on the side of town with all the poor people and cheaper where the rich people are?

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 5:02 pm 

fifties wrote:
Philco Fan wrote:
Gas is cheaper than milk here.At last fill-up it was $2.49 but when the new 12 cent road tax went into effect on the 1st the price went up 30 cents to $2.79.How 12 cents became 30 cents I do not know....

You obviously don't have the makings to become a politician... :wink:

That's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me! :lol:
Phil

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 6:39 pm 

Flinx wrote:
here is another one:

why is gas more expensive on the side of town with all the poor people and cheaper where the rich people are?

Now thats a good question.The same with the stores.

PostPosted: Nov Sat 18, 2017 6:50 pm 

4 out of 3 people have a problem with math.

PostPosted: Nov Sun 19, 2017 11:55 pm 

I have to laugh when y'all gripe about gasoline prices. Try paying over $1 per litre, that's $4/US gallon.
That is what we pay and have been for over a decade.To top up the tank on a small car - $60, trucks - $100 +. Price here right now on this island $1.34/litre. US money would be a bit less, like $1.10.

Yes, they tax the gas. Yes, the distributors hike prices, yes, the dealers match each others prices.

I think if gas costs more in one part of town, it is due to higher risk of theft, just a guess.

I started sweeping floor in a local garage when gas was 10 cents a litre. People came in for 5 bucks worth. :lol:

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 12:03 am 

I thought you guys all went to Bellingham to get groceries and gas??
Or is that just Vancouver proper??
Phil

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 5:45 am 

Greetings to the Forum:

I don't know how to break this to 'yall, but gas is cheap. A gallon of gasoline today costs less than it did in 1968. The problem is that the yardstick (the U.S. Dollar) is rubber.

In 1968, a typical house in Santa Barbara (where I lived at the time was about $30K. A standard American sedan cost roughly $2K. A VW cost about $1600 (my mom bought one brand new in 1968). A 911 Porsche cost the astronomical sum of $6K. A gallon of premium gasoline cost forty cents.

Fast forward to today: A typical house in Santa Barbara is approaching 1 million dollars. I haven't priced Detroit iron lately, but I doubt you will find anything under about $40K. A cheap car (Hyundai replaces VW here) is about $18K. A 911 Porsche is two to three hundred thousand dollars (granted it's a better car). A gallon of premium gasoline costs about $3.80.

Inflation has devalued the dollar in real terms (never mind what the official government sites tell you, they lie) a factor of at least 16. So, that $3.80 for a gallon of premium gas is equivalent to a price in 1968 of 24 cents a gallon. That would have been an excellent price at the time.

Beware inflation.... it is an across the board tax that hits the poor hardest and is a direct result of government redistribution of wealth programs.

Regards,

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 10:27 am 

Jthorusen wrote:
Greetings to the Forum:

I don't know how to break this to 'yall, but gas is cheap. A gallon of gasoline today costs less than it did in 1968. The problem is that the yardstick (the U.S. Dollar) is rubber.

In 1968, a typical house in Santa Barbara (where I lived at the time was about $30K. A standard American sedan cost roughly $2K. A VW cost about $1600 (my mom bought one brand new in 1968). A 911 Porsche cost the astronomical sum of $6K. A gallon of premium gasoline cost forty cents.

Fast forward to today: A typical house in Santa Barbara is approaching 1 million dollars. I haven't priced Detroit iron lately, but I doubt you will find anything under about $40K. A cheap car (Hyundai replaces VW here) is about $18K. A 911 Porsche is two to three hundred thousand dollars (granted it's a better car). A gallon of premium gasoline costs about $3.80.

Inflation has devalued the dollar in real terms (never mind what the official government sites tell you, they lie) a factor of at least 16. So, that $3.80 for a gallon of premium gas is equivalent to a price in 1968 of 24 cents a gallon. That would have been an excellent price at the time.

Beware inflation.... it is an across the board tax that hits the poor hardest and is a direct result of government redistribution of wealth programs.

Regards,

Sorry Jim, 'ol boy, but I'll have to dispute some of your early prices.
I remember looking at the new '65 Fords in '64, and a new Galaxie was stickered at over 5 grand. When I was stationed in West Germany, my little brother asked me to purchase and have shipped over a new Beetle (this was in either '67 or '68), and the cost there was about 1600 clams (plus the shipping, $100-200), and he still saved over what the cost was here, by a good $700 or so, IIRC.
Gasoline here in California, both in '66 and '69, ranged between 24.9 cents at the bastard stations for regular, to 38.9 for premium at the name brand stations, but the majors were forever having gas wars (remember that phenom?), so the price was seldom that high.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 3:45 pm 

Gas Wars in Indiana 1960 to 1962 Five Gallon for a BUCK. Yes 19.9 for regular. And then in 1965 / 66 I actually had a lease on a gas station back then for a year. I sold the stuff for the "Supported Price" phone call each morning telling me what to set the pumps prices. "Normal then was 24.9 for the cheap stuff equal sorts to the today 87 octane. 26.9 for the regular regular and 29.9 for "Premium" . In 1973 a "Salesman's Special" 1973 Gremlin AM radio 3 on the floor 6cylinder cheapest one they had was $2550. By 1976 that Gremlin had turned into " A Real Animal" complete with a built up 350 Chevy mouse motor and a built up turbo400 with a 3500 RPM stall converter tubbed rear wheels and a narrowed 9" Ford rearend. The Animal left me off to be "Cubed" in 1995 after the third 350 had finally gone sour on me. Damn I still miss "My Animal" Now I drive a "Van" because it will haul lots of old radios.

John k9uwa

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 4:55 pm 

printer ink cost $18,000 per gallon if you go by the cost of the cartridges.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 5:08 pm 

Flinx wrote:

Thats another ripoff racket.I just go to the library to print stuff.10 cents a copy since I dont print much..

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 6:03 pm 

WPPCProductions wrote:
Flinx wrote:

Thats another ripoff racket.I just go to the library to print stuff.10 cents a copy since I dont print much..

Salesman at Staples told me new printers don't come with ink cartriges anymore, you gotta buy them seperate now.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 6:31 pm 

What gets me is one gas station may have gas for a certain price then the gas station right up the road less than a mile away has it cheaper.

Now where do you think one is gonna buy the gas?

Also it seems like gas stations away from the city where they are few and far between sometimes have a higher price for their gas.

Why, possibly because they can as people w3ill still go there if it saves them a trip to the city to get gas.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 6:38 pm 

To find cheaper gas https://www.gasbuddy.com/
to find gas with no ethanol https://www.pure-gas.org/

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 6:42 pm 

Rocco53 wrote:
WPPCProductions wrote:
Flinx wrote:

Salesman at Staples told me new printers don't come with ink cartriges anymore, you gotta buy them seperate now.

Wow .You got to be kidding.I did not know that.How corrupted that is.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 6:53 pm 

Rocco53 wrote:
WPPCProductions wrote:
Flinx wrote:

New printers usually come with cartridges that are only 25%-50% full. Buying a cartridge usually makes more sense.

PostPosted: Nov Mon 20, 2017 6:54 pm 

I had a printer that used ink cartridges, buyt I print so infrequently that the ink would often dry up before it was used up and at nearly $30 a pop I decided no more.

Printer still sits unused and maybe 3-4 years ago my step mom brought home a laser printer from work they were tossing out so I just use that.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 60 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next