Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 24, 2019 5:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Microsoft strikes again
PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 11:30 pm 

rsingl wrote:
Those machines were dumped after less than 2 years.
Sorry to hear that.

I never tried OS/2 as a user machine.

All of my systems were dedicated control/communications/real-time environments.
Basically no user interface other than a command console. All else was remoted on T3 lines.

They ran rings around any other purportedly competitive solutions.

One of the major successes was all the guidance and control systems for the air-launched 3-stage Pegasus rocket, including the launch control system in the carrier aircraft.

That was 100% OS/2. There was never a trouble ticket logged against that system in the 3 years that I followed its operation. It even survived a launch failure when first-stage sep failed and it went into a 360-degree nose-over tumble. It re-acquired trajectory and made orbit, although the multiple satellites were launched too low because it ran out of fuel.

- Leigh

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 11:42 pm 

Leigh,

Interesting info and thanks for sharing!

IBM could never decide if they wanted to be serious about the smaller computers and so a lot of mistakes were made. They had a lot of possibilities but unfortunately the execution left a lot to be desired.

The PC jr was expected to do well in the educational market but Apple was a tough competitor there. The jr did create some humor in junior high/high school labs with its then fairly unique wireless keyboard. Kids quickly figured out they could aim their keyboard at someone else's computer and type on it so IBM inadvertently created an early form of texting :) Unfortunately in that environment it wasn't a good thing.

Rodger WQ9E

PostPosted: Dec Fri 08, 2017 11:52 pm 

I am have always been happy that Microsoft stuff is so needy. It has kept me in a job for the past 25 years and before that it was the junk that IBM sold that kept me employed. Microsoft has some of the buggiest software.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 12:07 am 

rsingl wrote:
Peter,

But if superfetch were disabled from the initial build, which it should have been if your Dell laptops have solid state drives, then that seems to carry through when it updates.

It also got old having to kill Cortana on my laptop which was running Win 10 64 home, I have the professional version on the workstation so the group policy editor makes it somewhat easier to wrest control back from MS when we disagree as to what is best for the user :)

Rodger WQ9E

Thanks Rodger.
No I do not have ss drives on either Dell system
32 bit = Home
64 bit = Pro

I also never have to turn off Cortana. At first I didn't even know it was on there.. so I turned it on to try one day but ... uninterested.. i turned it off again. Never automatically ever came on.

So for whatever reason.. neither superfetch or cortana are ever found to be on.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 1:13 am 

superftech is in services you may not see it in processes.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 09, 2017 2:40 am 

Hello guys,
yes I work for a school disctrict and the poor it guy is in our room a lot darn new hp laptops are pain in the rear window updates also the freeze up and other issues well our ipads in the class that we use for stem and lego robots work very well.
Also my cell is apple and do have older xp machine at home but most likely will get mac

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 46 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3