Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jan Fri 24, 2020 1:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Need Help Discharging My Wife . . .
PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:40 pm 

My wife has a static problem. She charges easily, and retains it. When I compared her to a large capacitor, she was definitely not impressed. Quite the contrary, actually. In an attempt to lower her hackles, I tactfully and gently compared her to a Leyden Jar. That turned a slow burn into a blowtorch. My further explanations for her condition were immediately curtailed, as I sensed pending doom - or worse :evil:

To put it another way, my wife builds up a large static charge getting out of a chair and walking into the kitchen. She can draw a large arc from any grounded object - especially the stainless-steel kitchen island. The indoor RH is lower this time of year, but still about 35%. I will build up a modest charge taking off a jacket, but nothing compared to what she generates. She can hold a NE2 and just about light her way as she walks! Both of her favorite pairs of shoes yield similar results. I've made a few attempts at building a "grounding station" circuit to slow down the rate of discharge to a comfortable level, but haven't had success. Maybe a large cap to bleed off the charge? Resistors and neon bulbs don't seem to help. (Actually, discharging through a neon bulb seems to make it worse). Other than equipping her with a grounded tethered wristband and enough wire to allow travel around the house, I can't think of a workable solution. Ideas?

Dan

Post subject: Re: Need Help Discharging My Wife . . .
PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:50 pm 

You could try keeping her sprayed down with water, although that might result in a whole new set of problems for you. :D

Last edited by processhead on Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:51 pm 

How about a bracelet with a length of chain to sweep across a ground?

PostPosted: Dec Thu 07, 2017 11:53 pm 

They used to use little chains that dangled from trucks that they did not want to develop a static charge. Then you could put a ball on the end of the chain and ..... hmmmm

Ball and chain....

Never mind. :wink:

Curtis Eickerman