Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 26, 2019 7:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Remember These Now Defunct Resaurant Chains?
PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 3:20 pm 

Sambo's was the worst.
I remember L&K, Howard Johnsons, not old but I loved their burgers - GD Ritzy's.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 3:54 pm 

Used to have a Sambos in Muscatine [10 miles away].
Ate there maybe 2 times. Service was extremely slow.

There was a standing joke about the place.
A guy was found dead in the back booth. He had died
of starvation waiting for his order.
Jim

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 6:43 pm 

Eliot Ness wrote:

I stumbled onto a Roy Rogers Roast Beef in Cumberland MD on the way to Kutztown one year.

We still have some Roy Rogers around in MD. They've even built a few new ones in northern VA over the last few years. I believe they are a local/regional thing now.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 6:56 pm 

Roy Rogers -- how many of those are still around?

I liked the Double R Bar Burger. Left it behind when I moved to Florida -- the only one I know in Florida was at a rest stop somewhere around Miami. But I suppose they're mostly closed up today.

The fast-growing burger place around here is Culver's. I ate there once -- greasiest, most tasteless burger ever! They have a big menu; maybe their other stuff is better, but no more burgers for me -- especially since Five Guys is around the corner.

Out of the "chain" fast food places, to me the best hamburgers were Roy Rogers and Dairy Queen.

Oh yes, this isn't a chain, but it's rather cool. Sarasota used to have a drive-in called Smacks. It was downtown, closed up many years ago. Smacks has recently reopened, and is doing quite well. It is now located on Bee Ridge Road. Not a drive-in, but decent burgers and ice cream. We have a local franchise called Gecko's. They are a bar & grill, similar to Chili's or Applebee's. Their claim to fame is the fact that they buy their food locally -- beef from a ranch down the road, ice cream using ingredients from a local dairy, even buffalo grown locally. The owners of Gecko's purchased Smacks from the widow of the former owner and reopened it.

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 8:07 pm 

Gary Tayman wrote:
Roy Rogers -- how many of those are still around?

According to their site, there are 54 locations currently operating. Most are in MD and VA.

PM me for my email address

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 8:30 pm 

Eric H wrote:
I must have eaten a couple Cows worth of the all meat burritos with extra cheese, add to that a large Fries, large Coke and a Chocolate Shake and it was a complete meal. :lol: That much food and sugar all at once would probably kill me today.

I remember at 28 taking the wife and kid into the Bob's Big Boy in Valencia, choking down TWO Big Boy Hamburgers each with fries, and a Coke float, and I wouldn't gain an ounce.

Ain't youth wasted on the young, though? :wink:

PostPosted: Dec Sat 30, 2017 8:44 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
Sambo's was the worst.
I remember L&K, Howard Johnsons, not old but I loved their burgers - GD Ritzy's.
In it's hey day Howard Johnsons was the largest restaurant chain in America so it wasn't surprising that Stanley Kubrick thought they'd still be around, along with a Pan Am ferry to the space station, when we visited Jupiter in 2001 A Space Odyssey. Wrong on all counts.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 12:58 am 

fifties wrote:
... I DO remember Sambo's, Pup 'N Taco, & Pioneer Chicken,
though.There used to be an A&W Root Beer drive in in Reseda, but IDK if
they're still there and another I think it was Fillmore.

In 1959, there was an A&W Drive-in in Burbank, near the NW corner of Victory
& Buena Vista. I was 7 and would ride my bike there and get a Frosty Glass Mug
of Root Beer for 5 Cents! IIRC, it was there until about... '76?

Here in Oregon, we have one in Florence, Or. on the Coast, and another in the
mt. hamlet of Oakridge, Or..

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 1:10 am 

I remember the Howard Johnson's "Black Cow'-a root beer float the size of your head. We also had an A&W and a Burger Chef nearby. Now, we are lucky enough to have TWO restored Dog "N' Suds Drive Ins nearby-great for cruisin' nights.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 1:19 am 

All this food talk is making me hungry. Let's all meet to eat at Nicks!
-Ed

Attachments:
smyth45.jpg
smyth45.jpg [ 56.83 KiB | Viewed 1268 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 1:52 am 

19&41 I was in your neck of the woods this week and passed by the sad site of "Dean's Barbecue" a true Jonesboro institution that is now closed. They do not make them like that anymore.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 2:05 am 

Poston Drake wrote:
Perhaps I am dating myself when I remember Howard Johnson's. Some of our younger forum members may not remember them, but I remember them well. Even until the late-1960s/early 1970s, Howard Johnson's was still the largest restaurant chain in America with more than 1000 restaurants. When I was a kid we had none of them locally, but I always looked forward to stopping at one when our family was traveling on vacation. Howard Johnson's was known for their great food, but I especially remember their famous "28 flavors of ice cream".

We had one about 3 miles from my home when I was growing up we would go for the fried clams special quite often. The place still in business when I got married back in the 1980s and we would often go there for dinner. It closed and was replaced with a crappy truck stop. I see where there is still one still operating in Lake George, NY, not sure of the status since the owner was charged with sexual assault of his female employees back in October. What a sad ending that would be to the last place still operating.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 3:27 am 

Eliot Ness wrote:
Gary Tayman wrote:
Seems to me, Lums had a spinoff called Ollie's Trolley. They served the same "Ollie-Burger" as Lums.......
There was an Ollie's Trolley up on campus when I first moved here. It was literally just a small replica trolley car (take-out) but the Ollie Burgers were quite good.

The only Ponderosa steak houses I know remaining are in Florence KY off I75, Huntington WV, and one in Maysville KY.

There is still an Ollie's Trolley in downtown Louisville, KY - an original street trolley version. I drive past it every now and then - but haven't stopped at it for several years.

There's a Ponderosa steak house in Pigeon Forge, TN that's still in operation. It always seems to have a crowd at it. The wife and I went there a few years ago to see if it was the genuine thing - it's privately owned but they have kept the old Ponderosa decor.

At one time I thought that Long John Silver fast food fish shops were going extinct, but I've seen a few new ones showing up - I don't know why.

We had a restaurant called "King's Table" in the 70s in KY which served a buffet: it was called a smörgåsbord back then. I recall my uncle taking us all there a couple of times. Eating all you wanted was a huge deal back then, especially to a teenager.

My wife balks at all buffet restaurants now - she calls them 'feeding troughs'. I still love 'em.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 3:53 am 

I remember a Henry's in Des Moines, Iowa. 10 hamburgers and a pound bag of fries for 5 dollars. But that was a long time ago.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 4:03 am 

Shanghai Jack wrote:
I remember a Henry's in Des Moines, Iowa. 10 hamburgers and a pound bag of fries for 5 dollars. But that was a long time ago.

I recall when there was an independent hamburger stand called "Oskies" on Ventura Blvd in Encino. I remember in '61 driving there for food I could afford; 19 cent burgers and dime fries. Admittedly small portions, but the price was right!

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 5:09 am 

Something to keep in mind:

There used to be a Taco John's in Tavares, the only one in Florida. Probably the only one east of the Mississippi. It closed a couple of years ago. Why? It was doing a good business. The problem was that it was too expensive to ship the food and supplies across the US to cover only one location. That's probably why Roy Rogers is keeping all their stores in one region, rather than spreading them across the US.

While I'm thinking about it, is Marino's still around in the DC area? I recall Mario's Pizza was located in Arlington, and when the owners tried to franchise it, they could not use the name "Mario's", as there were so many other places with that same name. So they added an N, making it Marino's. I know they opened several locations, but don't know if they lasted.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 2:51 pm 

I remember the brief life of Hot N Now in the early 90s. They were a drive thru only cheap burger chain. Its crazy that there are still a few empty stores still standing and a couple around here are now converted to drive thru dry cleaners.

"Things are more like they are now than they ever were before" -D. Eisenhower

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 3:24 pm 

Also, not a Chain, but anyone living in the Burbank, Ca area was familiar with The Dip.
It was situated at the "Five Points" intersection just West of the I-5. Burbank High School
students frequented the place as well as the Lockheed "Skunk Works" employees.
It was named The Dip due to their great french dip pastrami. My favorite as a young kid
was their Chili-cheeseburgers -a bag of 5 for $1. :D

Attachment:
BURBANKpage_072.jpg
BURBANKpage_072.jpg [ 74.4 KiB | Viewed 1214 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 3:43 pm 

Seeing as we're including local phenomenons, Here was the place to see and be seen in Marion Indiana, in the heart of the good old days.

Attachments:
custers last stand.jpg
custers last stand.jpg [ 45.2 KiB | Viewed 1211 times ]

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 3:50 pm 

Sambos still has one location, in Santa Barbara, CA. Went there a couple of years back. It was ok food. https://sambosrestaurant.com/

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 70 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next