Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Tue 26, 2019 2:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Remember These Now Defunct Resaurant Chains?
PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 4:05 pm 

Countryford wrote:
Sambos still has one location, in Santa Barbara, CA. Went there a couple of years back. It was ok food. https://sambosrestaurant.com/

Still Sambo's? I thought they were forced to change their name to Season's.

PostPosted: Dec Sun 31, 2017 5:25 pm 

There was an A&W about 100 yds from my grandmothers house when I was growing up. Used to get the root beer in jugs. They would refill a gallon jug for maybe a buck or less. Drank that till it came out of my ears. Remember Sandy's and Burger Chef, but cannot recall anything particularly outstanding about them. HoJo's, guess I ate there a few times on road trips. Big Boy still exists in Ohio. One right here in town, but I don't frequent it a great deal. I still miss Lums the most.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 1:10 am 

Countryford wrote:
Sambos still has one location, in Santa Barbara, CA. Went there a couple of years back. It was ok food. https://sambosrestaurant.com/

I think the real Sambo's is gone, this one using a gmail account. Company server ran out of 3 1/4" floppies and the dial up was too expensive.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 2:32 am 

Anybody remember Skippers? As long I'm thinking fish, how about Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips, or H Salt Fish and chips. These may be local to the Midwest area. I do miss Skippers though.
Steve

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 3:14 am 

Well... Army brat family..when in the States ...we traveled far to visit and move.Remember stopping many times at a chain called Nickerson Farms..along the interstatesTthey had gas pumps..air..gift shop....and I remember bees being kept near the restaurant.Sit down..waitress service...Dad loved the place...Mom..seemed put-out.Go figure.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 3:25 am 

The Hungry Tiger seafood restaurants in Southern California. When I lived on the beach in Redondo and Manhattan Beach, I spent a lot of time in the one on Sepulveda Boulevard near LAX.

BR,

Terry

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 3:57 am 

JB's Big Boy in Rapid City was our choice for dinner in a "real" restaurant. Slightly different name than Bob's, but same good food and chubby kid for the corporate brand. The "Big Boy" statue at this location was really tall compared to what you see now. I always wondered what happened to it. The restaurant and building are long gone, I couldn't find an image of it in a quick search.

Of course there's an interesting back-story on how it all began. Took a bit of clicking to find it on their website: www.bigboy.com

"History of Big Boy
In 1936, Bob Wian sold his prized DeSoto Roadster to purchase a small hamburger stand in Glendale, California. He named it Bob's Pantry.

One night in 1937, a regular customer requested something different for a change. Bob went to work and the first double-decker hamburger was born.

Customers couldn't get enough of Bob's new creation. One fan in particular was a chubby six-year-old boy in droopy overalls.

He would often help Bob sweep up in exchange for a free burger. In honor of his young friend, Wian decided to name the better burger the Big Boy®. Another regular customer, a movie studio animator, sketched the now famous character on a napkin.

The rest is history."

They're still selling franchises. Get you one! :)
-Ed

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 4:12 am 

If an eatery without a chain might still be called a link, here's the one and only Good Eater. Photo and blurb from the Rapid City Journal. With but nine seats, it had a bit of a "No Soup for You" atmosphere, but you had to admit the eating was good. Inside was a time warp backwards in atmosphere. Cramped and small and full of familiar faces; except yours, lol. And a bit like having seven or eight guests over for dinner in your Tiny Home.

Attachment:
GoodEater.jpg
GoodEater.jpg [ 71.54 KiB | Viewed 1060 times ]

"Good Eater Café on East North Street in Rapid City – The tiny nine-stool eatery was a popular home of the Magic Gravy, a cream-style sauce made from scratch by proprietor Muriel Luxem and served over toast, hash browns, pancakes. The recipe, if there actually was one, died with Luxem when she passed in 2012. The Good Eater served up good eats through 1996."

Immortalized here, on the ever-transient www: http://rapidcityjournal.com/photos/rest ... cb7.html#4

-Ed

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 6:28 am 

SeniorSteve wrote:
Anybody remember Skippers? As long I'm thinking fish, how about Arthur Treachers Fish and Chips, or H Salt Fish and chips. These may be local to the Midwest area. I do miss Skippers though.
Steve

I remember H Salt Fish and Chips; we had one locally. Forgot all about it till you mentioned it, and can't remember when they went out of business, but I'd guess in the 80's.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 7:03 am 

Skippers existed in the pacific northwest for some time. There was a location a few blocks down the street from where I lived, on Sandy Blvd. in Portland.

H. Salt had a location on 82nd Ave. in Portland for a few years in the early 1970s. It was rumored to have the worst fish and chips in Portland.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 8:08 am 
Site Admin

H Salt Fish and Chips, 17 Southern California locations: http://www.hsalt.com

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 2:46 pm 

There was an Arthur Treacher's at our local mall; it's been gone for about 40 years.

PostPosted: Jan Mon 01, 2018 4:51 pm 

Well..Dad settled family in San Antonio...I remember the good greasy burgers GW Jr's put out..quite a few locations..all next to Churches fried chicken huts.The best burger. hands down,toasted buns.. old school mustard, loaded lettuce and pickle was a chain called Whopper Burger.WB was the after
Drive In movie crowd spot.They had the rights to the name in this region and Burger King was ordered as I remember to not use that name at their places for many years in the metro area.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 12:16 am 

There used to be a few Bonanza steak houses around here in NC. In the '70s.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 12:45 am 

Sperrkreis wrote:
Well... Army brat family..when in the States ...we traveled far to visit and move.Remember stopping many times at a chain called Nickerson Farms..along the interstatesTthey had gas pumps..air..gift shop....and I remember bees being kept near the restaurant.Sit down..waitress service...Dad loved the place...Mom..seemed put-out.Go figure.

They were started by ex-Stuckey's franchisees that didn't like some of the Stuckey's rules. I recall them well, they usually had a transparent beehive on one wall so you could see the bees wandering around in there. There were a lot of them around KS/OK interstates and turnpikes. I think they are long gone. I recently (last 5 years) spotted one of the old Nickerson Farms sites, gone to seed of course, along or near I-40 in Oklahoma.

My candidate is "Jerry's" restaurants, some of which apparently still exist, but are largely gone. Food, as I recall, was terrible. Also, "Cape Codder" which later turned into Long John Silvers, and Burger Queen ("Let's follow Queenie Bee, It's Burger Queen for me!") which later turned into Druthers (and sometimes you still see Queenie Bee) and then were converted to Dairy Queens.

Brett

Last edited by Brett_Buck on Jan Fri 05, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 1:59 am 

There is a still-running chain that I fear will fit on this list soon: Arby's. At least here in northern California, almost all of the Arby's locations have closed just in the last five years or less. I can think of at least five of them that are gone. One location (South San Francisco) is (or was?) still in the classic small Arby's building style with the big hat sign. Another one (Santa Rosa) just burned down in the huge Wine Country fires in October.

A quick look at their Web site shows just two locations left in the Bay Area, San Jose and Sunnyvale.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 3:30 am 

ChrisW6ATV wrote:
There is a still-running chain that I fear will fit on this list soon: Arby's. At least here in northern California, almost all of the Arby's locations have closed just in the last five years or less. I can think of at least five of them that are gone. One location (South San Francisco) is (or was?) still in the classic small Arby's building style with the big hat sign. Another one (Santa Rosa) just burned down in the huge Wine Country fires in October.

A quick look at their Web site shows just two locations left in the Bay Area, San Jose and Sunnyvale.

Maybe they will be dead in the Bay Area but they seem to be everywhere else and going fine. i just drove all the way across the country and there were more Arby's than there were Burger Kings.

The roast beef is not the same as it used to be (tough and stringy, since it's now actually cut from a real piece, instead of the "parts is parts" compressed loaves) but they have lots of other quasi-gourmet sandwich type stuff, and some other things that will be generally popular but not so much around here, like pork bellies.

Brett

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 3:49 am 

Several Arby's locations around here.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 4:34 am 

Eliot Ness wrote:

The only Ponderosa steak houses I know remaining are in Florence KY off I75, Huntington WV, and one in Maysville KY.
!

We have one near here in Draffenville KY, we had one even closer but it closed this year after only being open a year.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 4:42 am 

Gary Tayman wrote:
Something to keep in mind:

There used to be a Taco John's in Tavares, the only one in Florida. Probably the only one east of the Mississippi. .

we have lots of Taco Johns here in Western KY and TN and I am East of the Mississippi. I don't know how much further east they go. we have 3 here in Paducah

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 70 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next