Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Mon 18, 2019 11:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Remember These Now Defunct Resaurant Chains?
PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 4:59 am 

Here locally is a joint called "Just Burgers" they make great burgers and reasonably priced.
They like heavy metal and rock bands, so they name their special burgers of the week after rock bands.

2 weeks ago they had the "Red Zeppelin" which was a double bacon cheeseburger with 2 donuts as the bun.
Red's happens to be the local donut place. So they supplied the "buns" I have never had one( a Red Zeppelin). There was a line out the drive through into the street which blocked traffic. it got worse as the week went on and they started ticketing drivers in the road. Monday the donut place provided 200 dozen by Friday they were providing 1000 dozen a day for Red Zeppelins. People were starting to buy them and try to sell them on local classifieds, "don't wait in line...."

http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/2017/12/21/2- ... ous-treat/

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 8:36 pm 

Used to be a Bonanza in Beatrice, NE. That town boasts(?) a Taco Johns which is actually building a new place right next to it. I've never been in there.

In the Wichita area I'd been in Ryans a number of times. As I recall there was one in Richmond, IN when we stayed there for Hamvention for several years. I think the Wichita location closed some time ago. Looks like the chain is still going.

There was a local guy who opened a burger place about 40 years ago here in Marysville called The Huddle. He opened another in Seneca but I think that was the extent of his "chain". The Marysville location became a Chinese place and is now a Mexican place. Neither remodeled it extensively so it still looks much like it did 30 years ago when the original owner expanded the seating area.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 9:54 pm 

glue_ru wrote:
Countryford wrote:
Sambos still has one location, in Santa Barbara, CA. Went there a couple of years back. It was ok food. https://sambosrestaurant.com/

I think the real Sambo's is gone, this one using a gmail account. Company server ran out of 3 1/4" floppies and the dial up was too expensive.

I was at the one in Santa Barbara about 2.5 years ago. It was open at that time. According to Google, it appears that it is still open as well. From what the website says and what they advertise at the restaurant, it is from the original Sambo's name.

PostPosted: Jan Tue 02, 2018 11:44 pm 

There are still a few A&W locations but the food is NOTHING like it used to be.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 1:39 am 

I remember quite a few of those. It's a shame that poor upper management (big wig) decisions doomed most of them. The trend I'm seeing that I'm not a fan of is putting 2 fast food restaurants under the same roof, KFC and Long John Silvers for instance. I feel they lose their individual identity and more than likely the quality is probably not as good.

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 3:28 pm 

mustangcats wrote:
I remember quite a few of those. It's a shame that poor upper management (big wig) decisions doomed most of them. The trend I'm seeing that I'm not a fan of is putting 2 fast food restaurants under the same roof, KFC and Long John Silvers for instance. I feel they lose their individual identity and more than likely the quality is probably not as good.

Long John Silvers is one that is hard to find around here in Arizona.

We have some of those under the same roof. Mainly Taco Bell with Pizza Hut, but one of the few Long John Silvers we do have here is paired up with a Taco Bell!

PostPosted: Jan Wed 03, 2018 3:49 pm 

KnobDial wrote:
.....There is still an Ollie's Trolley in downtown Louisville, KY - an original street trolley version. I drive past it every now and then - but haven't stopped at it for several years......
Thanks for that info! As soon as the weather gets above 30 degrees I'll make a trip to Louisville for an Ollie Burger!

glue_ru wrote:
....... not old but I loved their burgers - GD Ritzy's.
You might be in luck, I hear they are opening a G.D. Ritzy's in Clintonville:

http://www.thisweeknews.com/news/201705 ... intonville

I was born and raised in Columbus so on one of my trips back I'd like to try them again if they ever really open...... I loved their hot dogs and shakes.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 4:39 pm 

Allen G wrote:
There are still a few A&W locations but the food
is NOTHING like it used to be.

Unfortunately true. I read however, that they went back to their original
method of making their Root Beer.
I will occasionally (but rarely) eat at an A&W for the classic Drive-in
experience and the Root Beer. :wink:

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 8:23 pm 

Primitiveradiogod wrote:
I remember:

Sambo's

A lot of popular accounts describe Sambo's "racist" name as being the reason for its demise, but that's pure BS. What really did them in was a scheme where managers of a restaurant could acquire a small percentage of another location's business at a discount price in exchange for getting paid extremely low base wages. This scheme was very lucrative for quite a while. Some managers were pulling in 80-100K a year, which was damn good money in the 1970s. Ultimately, the program began cannibalizing the profits of the larger enterprise so much that the whole chain went under.

There was a Sambo's where I live, although I remember it as Jimbo's. Perhaps that was done when the chain folded and the owners of that one decided to just change one letter.

It finally closed several years ago when the owner retired. Later on a doctor bought it remodeled and opened an office there.

PostPosted: Jan Thu 04, 2018 10:48 pm 

Tube Radio wrote:
Primitiveradiogod wrote:
I remember Sambo's.
A lot of popular accounts describe Sambo's "racist" name as being the reason for its demise, but that's pure BS. What really did them in was a scheme where managers of a restaurant could acquire a small percentage of another location's business at a discount price in exchange for getting paid extremely low base wages. This scheme was very lucrative for quite a while. Some managers were pulling in 80-100K a year, which was damn good money in the 1970s. Ultimately, the program began cannibalizing the profits of the larger enterprise so much that the whole chain went under.

There was a Sambo's where I live, although I remember it as Jimbo's. Perhaps that was done when the chain folded and the owners of that one decided to just change one letter.
It finally closed several years ago when the owner retired. Later on a doctor bought it remodeled and opened an office there.

Two. Two Letters. :wink:

Regarding the Sambo "racist" name...I am afraid that in today's "climate" it
would most certainly be deemed "racist" simply because of the caricaturized
drawings of the little African-American Boy "Lil Black Sambo" (cartoons) that the
restaurant had in their Menu and up on the illustrated menu boards above the
'Counter seating'.
Illustrations no different than other such cartoon stereotypes as the "The Oriental:"
with asian conical hat, exaggerated slanted eyes, a shuffling walk; "The Mexican:
"with a giant sombero and serape! ; Or Yosemite Sam... Or Lil Abner
as the big dumb country white boy. It's all the same...But, sadly, We all have lost
our sense of Humor.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 70 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4