Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise


It is currently Nov Thu 14, 2019 3:24 pm


All times are UTC [ DST ]





Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 13 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Another area code for NJ.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 3:59 am 
Member

Joined: May Tue 01, 2007 4:01 am
Posts: 1712
Location: Hamilton Square, New Jersey
The 4th smallest state now has 640 as its 10th area code. Back in 1947 there was only 1 area code for the whole state-201. Beginning next month, I will have to dial 10 digits for all in area code calls. One would think that with the decrease in land line usage that more numbers would have become available.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another area code for NJ.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 4:55 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Feb Thu 04, 2016 2:41 am
Posts: 359
Location: South Greeley.
Colorado has needed tenner dialing for decades now. You get used to it. I just dropped my Colorado number and got a Wyoming number, and i still need to get used to 7 digit dialing. :lol:

_________________
Sometimes the best part of this hobby is that i have a rock station at both ends of the band....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another area code for NJ.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 4:58 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 33109
Location: SoCal, 91387
There are some areas in the country, such as West Los Angeles & The South Bay, that have "layered" area codes, with one on top of the other.

_________________
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\He Who Dies With The Most Radios Wins//////////////////


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another area code for NJ.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 5:19 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: May Wed 01, 2013 10:05 pm
Posts: 1990
Location: Rayleigh, BC, CANADA
Yup, been using 10 digit numbers up here for years too, I just use "Auto-dial"

_________________
Rocco


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another area code for NJ.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 7:24 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Fri 17, 2014 7:26 am
Posts: 1859
Location: In the village, 19115
PA has been using 10 digits for several decades now, as is NY, I am sure.

_________________
I like things that light up, tubes, bulbs, LEDs, whatever, and things that make noise.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another area code for NJ.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 7:58 am 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 23894
Location: Haledon, NJ, usa
As an off topic related thing:
I can remember our number as far back as 1947 when I was only 5.
It was NB-2-5031R (party line)

The next number was when we moved to my grandmother's house the following year: CH-7-7156

I lived there till age 11.

After that I don't think I really remembered.

But those 1st two numbers still stick in my mind all these years. I'm 76 now.
Amazing.

Of course other crazy numbers still stick in my head for some odd reason... like
my brother's navy serial number !!!
... WHY? ....Even he barely remembered it.

Now... of course... MY Army serial number... and my SS are permanently frozen in my brain.

_________________
To be a man, Be a non-conformist, Nothing's sacred as the integrity of your own mind.
-Emerson


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another area code for NJ.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 10:40 am 
Member

Joined: Sep Fri 07, 2007 2:27 am
Posts: 6208
Location: Grand Chute, Wisconsin
DarrenWGaransi wrote:
One would think that with the decrease in land line usage that more numbers would have become available.
Now a family of five has five phones with five numbers as opposed to a single number from a land line. Those added cell numbers far exceed the number of lost landline numbers.

.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another area code for NJ.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 6:11 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Tue 15, 2008 6:13 pm
Posts: 6857
Location: Gretna, Nebraska
It's interesting to contemplate the millions of miles of copper twisted pair that used to keep us all connected, and now is slowly disappearing.

Or is it?

How much will be abandoned in place under ground? Overhead lines are much easier to remove.
How much it is feasible for recycling into new copper products? As I recall, outside plant phone cable is mostly insulation and not a lot of copper.

Out here in fly-over country we haven't come close to running out of phone numbers in area code 402. It covers roughly the same 35,000 square miles that it has since 1954. Edit/ Correction: In 2011 area code 531 was overlaid in parts of the 402 area code. Apparently not yet widely assigned.

_________________
http://www.vintagerestorationservices.com
Paul
...... how hard can it be?


Last edited by processhead on Jul Thu 12, 2018 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another area code for NJ.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 7:29 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 33109
Location: SoCal, 91387
processhead wrote:
It's interesting to contemplate the millions of miles of copper twisted pair that used to keep us all connected, and now is slowly disappearing.

Or is it?

How much will be abandoned in place under ground? Overhead lines are much easier to remove.

I think population density has everything to do with that. Out here, AT&T is installing fiber optic cable, in order to compete with Spectrum for CATV, internet, and phone service.
I'm glad to see that, since competition ideally means better end-user prices. Usually.

_________________
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\He Who Dies With The Most Radios Wins//////////////////


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another area code for NJ.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 7:33 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jul Tue 15, 2008 6:13 pm
Posts: 6857
Location: Gretna, Nebraska
fifties wrote:
processhead wrote:
It's interesting to contemplate the millions of miles of copper twisted pair that used to keep us all connected, and now is slowly disappearing.

Or is it?

How much will be abandoned in place under ground? Overhead lines are much easier to remove.

I think population density has everything to do with that. Out here, AT&T is installing fiber optic cable, in order to compete with Spectrum for CATV, internet, and phone service.
I'm glad to see that, since competition ideally means better end-user prices. Usually.


Usually. Till the two big players merge. :D

_________________
http://www.vintagerestorationservices.com
Paul
...... how hard can it be?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another area code for NJ.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 7:40 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Jan Thu 01, 1970 1:00 am
Posts: 33109
Location: SoCal, 91387
processhead wrote:
fifties wrote:
processhead wrote:
It's interesting to contemplate the millions of miles of copper twisted pair that used to keep us all connected, and now is slowly disappearing.

Or is it?

How much will be abandoned in place under ground? Overhead lines are much easier to remove.

I think population density has everything to do with that. Out here, AT&T is installing fiber optic cable, in order to compete with Spectrum for CATV, internet, and phone service.
I'm glad to see that, since competition ideally means better end-user prices. Usually.


Usually. Till the two big players merge. :D

Right. That's why I said "usually"...

_________________
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\He Who Dies With The Most Radios Wins//////////////////


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another area code for NJ.
PostPosted: Jul Thu 12, 2018 10:38 pm 
Member
User avatar

Joined: Apr Thu 21, 2011 2:00 am
Posts: 4266
Location: Georgia, 30236
It's been ten digits here since 1996 anyway.

_________________
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Another area code for NJ.
PostPosted: Jul Fri 13, 2018 12:20 pm 
Member

Joined: May Tue 01, 2007 4:01 am
Posts: 1712
Location: Hamilton Square, New Jersey
Some parts of the state here have done overlays where 10 digits was necessary. Apparently one will still be able to dial 7 in 908 and 856. I'm in 609. At least with the overlay of 640 here, I won't have to change the dial cards on my phones.


Top
 Profile  
 
Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 13 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 19&41, Bob in Alberta, bobwilson1977, Eliot Ness, Tom Bavis, voroush and 21 guests



Search for:
Jump to:  




























Privacy Policy :: Powered by phpBB