Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Mar Fri 22, 2019 7:12 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Any events to observe 100th anniversary of USA broadcasting?
PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 3:02 pm 

Have been meaning to ask...

Has anyone heard of any plans to observe the 100th anniversary of 'practical' radio broadcasting in 2020?

I know that there were voice & music broadcast experiments going on as far back as maybe 1906. And there were instances of semi-regular broadcasts made with modulated arc transmitters as far back as 1916. However, it seems clear to me that here in the USA, 1920 marks the clear start for practical broadcasting equipment incorporating vacuum tubes.

Just wondering if the milestone is going to be observed....

As a side note... Back in the year 2000 I was aware that this was the 100th anniversary of the electric light in my home town of Monroe. (April 1900). I contacted the local newspaper about seeing if they wanted to do a feature. (I had some basic info on the lighting system. The newspaper had some microfilm and there are town records of equipment purchases from the time.) I thought it might be fun to ask readers to look for the oldest surviving light bulb in the town (the oldest I have is from 1927). Were there other abandoned bulbs in private or commercial buildings down town? My suggestion landed with a thud... They had no interest in sending a reporter a few blocks to talk about the subject. Sad....

Robert

Post subject: Re: Any events to observe 100th anniversary of USA broadcast
PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 3:47 pm 

Well, there was World Radio Day on February 13th.

It'll happen again next year. Maybe suggest it to them for 2020?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Radio_Day

Post subject: Re: Any events to observe 100th anniversary of USA broadcast
PostPosted: Feb Fri 15, 2019 4:39 pm 

I would imagine regionally, a few of the old time stations like KDKA will make a big deal about their century, in a few years. That would just be obvious sort of thing a commercial station would do. You could even email them and ask what they have planned, maybe.