Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 21, 2019 11:17 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A reminder about the reminder
PostPosted: Apr Mon 01, 2019 6:11 am 
Site Admin

This is a family friendly site, no profanity or adult images. Profanity is not permitted even when "obscured" with asterisks or misspellings.

If you post has disappeared recently, that may be why.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=337880

Post subject:
PostPosted: Apr Mon 01, 2019 8:03 am 

Thank you Alan,

I try not to swear even on sites that allow it.... I dont think it looks good really.........

I have had some posts with heated language but I try not to do it....

Thank you Alan for keeping this place so good all these years :)

Post subject: Re: A reminder about the reminder
PostPosted: Apr Wed 03, 2019 6:18 am 

Alan Voorhees wrote:
This is a family friendly site, no profanity or adult images. Profanity is not permitted even when "obscured" with asterisks or misspellings.

If you post has disappeared recently, that may be why.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=337880

This policy may seem to be a bit extreme, basically zero tolerance, but I understand why it is necessary. We just have to be on our Ps and Qs, not too difficult at all.

PostPosted: May Thu 02, 2019 4:42 pm 

Thank You for having this rule and thank you for enforcing it!

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 8:39 pm 

Thank you. This is the only internet forum I would visit regularly for any topic. It's because thre are rules and they are enforced.

PostPosted: Jul Mon 22, 2019 9:28 pm 

My opinion is that some of the rules are archaic, need to be changed. Picture hosting is terrible. Some moderators have a bug up their. New members are scared away by those who know it all and the archaic rules. I'm sure compared to many other hobby sites, this has the lowest new member registration count. Just my opinion.

PostPosted: Jul Wed 24, 2019 5:24 pm 

n3uvt wrote:
My opinion is that some of the rules are archaic, need to be changed. Picture hosting is terrible. Some moderators have a bug up their. New members are scared away by those who know it all and the archaic rules. I'm sure compared to many other hobby sites, this has the lowest new member registration count. Just my opinion.

:shock:

PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 9:36 pm 

n3uvt wrote:

I haven't been around here long and don't visit as often as I should but I have encountered nothing like you are saying.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 30, 2019 10:26 pm 

Location: 13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K 1P0
n3uvt wrote:

Why do you stay?

PostPosted: Jul Wed 31, 2019 12:27 am 

Like most things “under the sun” ARF is not perfect, but it’s head and shoulders above any other forums that I’ve checked out.

With very few exceptions, the demeanor and information one finds here are exceptional.

Thanks to Alan and our mods for not allowing the discourse here to devolve into the quagmire one sees in much of the internet.

If talk is cheap, it's because the supply usually exceeds the demand.

PostPosted: Aug Sat 03, 2019 3:28 am 

I have been here for a lot of years.---maybe too many!! :) This has always been a friendly place to come. There have been a few "rabble-rousers" over the years but they do not stay too long. Moderators have always kept a good eye on everything and maintain good control.

Thank you moderators!

If I recall even I had one or two posts removed over the years---deservingly so!! :)

http://pages.suddenlink.net/davesradios/

PostPosted: Aug Sat 03, 2019 1:48 pm 

Let's put things in perspective. Running a site like this is hard work. The simple fact is that this impersonal medium attracts and enables various forms of anti-social behavior. A moderated format is a big help, but there will always be people that make things difficult (intentionally or otherwise).

Overall, this site is among the best of its kind. There is a huge amount of good help available, and one of the best communities I have seen in any fora of this type. The moderation staff has the same high rating--In the past few years, I'm not sure I've seen any moderation decisions with which I disagreed.

Here's the BFO**:
This forum covers some pretty complex stuff. The basic technology is complex, and there is a lot of stuff out there with real "head-shaker" design decisions. In the face of all that, the technical questions here almost always find good answers. Is there a bit of chaff to go with this wheat? Of course--that goes with the territory. Any time that you have mix of world-class experts and people seeking instant gratification, you going to have some friction. The hard truth is that some newcomers will not like the heat and will chose to leave. Others (the majority) will chose to persevere and will learn that THEY are largely responsible for the quality of help they get.

So---ask your questions, but also do your homework. Be nice to the cranky old geezers, and they will be nice to you.
Most complaints should go directly to the moderation staff, and--if you are truly unhappy with the overall picture, then consider moving on....

**Blinding Flash of the Obvious

PostPosted: Sep Fri 27, 2019 7:32 am 

I spend more time on here than any other site on the internet!
I've been "checked" a time or 2 I think?, but truly appreciate all the time and effort the moderators and Alan put into this
to make it a escape in a way from the burgening hedonist culture I do not much care for...
Thank you!

PostPosted: Sep Mon 30, 2019 5:36 pm 

n3uvt wrote:

I simply must concur with the :shock: reaction to this post. While you are of course fully entitled to your opinion, I tend to take the absolutely opposite view. New members are always coming here.... but of course, being the specialized and highly technical site it is, possibly not in such great numbers as, say Facebook. That's GREAT!! This site isn't for everyone and I believe wasn't intended to be... it's a mecca for those interested in vintage electronics of all types......a rather small segment of the population in general and certainly on the net.

I've not seen any members "scared away" since I've been here. Even those occasionally abused by those with lesser social skills are usually retained, and assisted, by the vast majority that are here to help, not harass.

If you are so upset with the policies here, I have to ask the same obvious question posed by others.... why stay if it's such an unpleasant experience?

PostPosted: Sep Mon 30, 2019 5:51 pm 

Hear, hear Barry. I agree with you completely. Yes, I may get a little irritated at times but that is fully my problem, not an issue with this site. I feel very, very privileged to be able to participate and learn here.