Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Thu 14, 2019 10:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Radio Advice Needed for Event Work
PostPosted: Apr Wed 03, 2019 6:23 am 

Hello,

I own a videography business out of San Marcos, CA.

In order to help you pros suggest a setup I've listed my requirements below.

Range: Able to communicate reliably inside of a building. Usually a church, hotel, or reception hall.

VOX: The radio must have the VOX feature as well as an adjustable VOX activator.

External Inputs: VOX Mic + Headphones

Essentially I need something my assistant and I can use to communicate while doing videography for an event. The most important time is during the ceremony of a wedding. We need a radio that is VOX actived with a adjustable activator so I can speak lightly into the headset and have my assistant be able to hear me and vise versa. A full deplex system would be best... but I don't think I have the budget for that. I've looked at eartec but their range is unacceptable.

If anyone could suggest a radio setup and headsets I would greatly appreciate it. My budget is around ~ $250 total.

Best regards,

Andy Claus

Edit: Right now I'm looking at the Midland GXT-900-VP4 and Midland AVP-1 Microphone Headsets

Post subject: Re: Radio Advice Needed for Event Work
PostPosted: Apr Wed 03, 2019 12:07 pm 

I'm afraid you'll be stuck with something modern here. The tricky part about VOX stuff is that the device has to be able to distinguish between you speaking, and background noise. Therefore the closer your mouth is to the mic, the better it will be. There are plenty of lightweight headset setups available in all price ranges, from bluetooth to you name it.

Google. "voice activated two way headset" and you'll get a bazillion hits from $39 to several thou$and.

PostPosted: Apr Wed 03, 2019 8:16 pm 

Aircraft headsets have noise cancelling microphones - two mic capsules, one close to the operators mouth and the other facing away - they are connected in anti-phase so the external noise cancels. You wouldn't want to buy them - they'll blow your budget in one go but surely it's not an uncommon problem - I've seen other examples used on construction sites where the background noise was horrendous.

Here (hear?) you are.....

https://www.logitech.com/en-nz/product/usb-headset-h390

PostPosted: Apr Wed 03, 2019 8:33 pm 

You might look at the FRS, Family Radio Service walkie talkies. Midland makes several that have vox and jacks for microphone and headphone. Cost is very reasonable and range is excellent. They are small enough to be carried out of sight.

PostPosted: Apr Thu 04, 2019 2:02 am 

Have you tried Dick Tracy? :lol:

Attachments:
2 way.JPG
2 way.JPG [ 108.79 KiB | Viewed 483 times ]

PostPosted: Apr Thu 04, 2019 7:58 am 

Greetings to Andy and the Forum:

Many cell phone providers offer an intercom-like service that will allow you a full-duplex communication service between phones on the same plan without having to go through the regular dialing procedure.

Use a headset with the phones and you are all set.

Regards,

PostPosted: Apr Thu 04, 2019 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Two headsets, a couple of smartphones and a walkie talkie app might be enough to do the job. There are several app options available, although I haven't used any of them. You can even do it with wifi and Bluetooth without a cell signal with some of them.