Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Nov Sun 29, 2020 3:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sears has closed all their Parts and Repair Centers
PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 5:21 pm 

pixellany wrote:
At this point, I think I will refuse to even go into a Sears store. I believe the management is committed only to milking it dry.

Sears has lost billions of dollars, its been dry for years but management is too stupid to realize it.

Museum Curator
https://roaringtwentiesantiqueradiomuseum.com/

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 5:22 pm 

Other than the decades old issue with GE parts being among the most expensive of major brand parts, there has never been any problem in finding multiple sources for GE appliance parts. You can shop around online once you have the current correct part number for what you need, as well as trying local wholesale parts suppliers. Usually most of them can be found on eBay at least the most popular ones.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 6:34 pm 

I have purchased appliance parts from Sears on a few occasions over the years.
It seems there is no shortage of sources for appliance parts of all makes and models including Kenmore.

Probably a bigger heart-ache would be the a loss of a source for some of the obscure Craftsman branded tool parts.

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 7:05 pm 

within the last 10 or 15 years...
A recall of my compressor...
I dropped it off at the local sears, they had it back in a week. Good as new.

Gas Dryer, Problem after a new install.
They were there in a day or two. Really wasn't their problem (as they didn't install it), but they sorted it out for free anyway.

PostPosted: May Mon 13, 2019 2:14 am 

Sears blew their opportunity years ago to be an internet powerhouse. They actually were one of the first to have an active, easy to use (for the times) website, but when the beginnings of a downturn in their retail stores happened, in the early 2000's, they ignored it to try to beef up the retail stores. After they closed their catalog division, they still had the network to do nation-wide ship direct to customer at a very high volume but failed to act. Buying K-mart was one of the worst things they could have done also. Once Eddie decided to basically play games with the real estate and only what was necessary to line his own pockets, the handwriting was on the wall. I stopped using Sears about 15 years ago. Before that, I was a very loyal customer, but anyone could see the downturn. I'm actually surprised they've made it this long.

PostPosted: May Mon 13, 2019 3:26 am 

I always liked the fact you could look up a parts diagram and order a part without a hassle, or go to the nearest store and order a part. Then along comes EBAY or other suppliers and you could cross reference a sears part number and get the same part much cheaper. Most folks figured this out pretty quick. It very sad but not surprising that Sears did not adapt and price competitively.

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 5:18 pm 

My second trip to Sears in as many weeks. Not physically this time. My Kenmore Washer stopped pumping out the water. Everything I read said top door switch. I saw on the Net how this thing comes apart. Continuity showed open. I went to the Sears site and they want $28. I did a search by part number and Amazon has one that is $9 with free shipping. I compared the picture with Sears and they are exact. I knew the Appliance parts are expensive at Sears, but triple the price and I have to pay $7 shipping to boot. Be price competitive and have free pickup at the store. While I was at the store getting this part, I defiantly would have stopped by the tool section. That's a give um with me.
Oh I have the receipt when I bought it. It will be 20 years old next month. 20 years and only one problem. I call that old fashion America Made Quality.

Freeman

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 5:35 pm 

So simple, they sold high quality and had excellent service, the made billions. The started to sell crap and took away all the service, now they are bankrupt.
Is it just my simplistic view of the world, or is that a hard equation to figure out?

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 6:23 pm 

Gary Tayman wrote:
and yet it was an electronic catalog (e-commerce) that seems to have done them in.

It was the fact that they didn't adopt an electronic catalog quickly enough.

ggregg wrote:
they still had the network to do nation-wide ship direct to customer at a very high volume but failed to act.

They could have easily been what Amazon is and so much more.

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 7:22 pm 

Incompetence by high-paid management is a problem in many industries.

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 7:33 pm 

Tomie wrote:
So simple, they sold high quality and had excellent service, the made billions. The started to sell crap and took away all the service, now they are bankrupt.
Is it just my simplistic view of the world, or is that a hard equation to figure out?

I'm afraid the "equation" is more complex than that; consider the level of quality from thriving retailers like WalMart and Harbor Freight. The market went for lower prices with commensurate quality and throw-away rather than fix merchandise.

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 8:49 pm 

The dirty little secret is that Sears had been floundering for years, ever since their stock took a hit in the 1970s.

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 10:05 pm 

The 1970s was when stores such as Target started to take off, getting market share which Sears could have had if they had been properly managed. I've mention before that is was about 1970 when we went to the Sears at Northwest plaza in St. Louis and I saw that a sales guy had come to work their wearing a suit with short pants and short jacket sleeves. The manager should never have allowed him on the sales floor in that clown get-up.

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 10:55 pm 

FStephenMasek wrote:
Incompetence by high-paid management is a problem in many industries.

Hear, hear...

PostPosted: May Tue 14, 2019 11:48 pm 

Well, at least Sears is still around. Anyone had shares in Enron?

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 5:07 am 

I would never buy anything Kenmore-branded---I have to know who's making the product up-front.

I have a friend who lives in Philly who bought a Kenmore washer (one of their expensive top of the line models). It's never worked right for her, and every time she calls them and sets up an appt for them to come out, they bail on her. I think she gave up after a couple of months, apparently it's still usable as-is

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 2:05 pm 

no great loss.
all they were doing was taking orders and drop shipping for a lot of stuff.
last 2 times i tried to order from them they strung me along for 2 weeks and cancelled without notice.
then sat on my money another week till i called and told them to refund me right now or prepare for the incoming chargeback.
their stinking corpse has needed burial for a long time.
i would not have even bothered with them had it not been for a customer that wanted to get the parts from sears to retain originality.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 37 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2