Forums :: NEW! Web Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Thu 21, 2021 9:56 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Another Social Security Scam
PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 4:51 pm 

Maybe this has been discussed already. Got a call on my cell phone (was blocked) from someone (digital voice) claiming to be from the Department of Social Security, and my account has been "suspend" because of suspicious activity. And to press 1 to help with the "problem." I don't think so. SS does not suspend your card. And the number on the caller ID is not a SS phone number. Nice try, Bozos.
RW

"Never pay more for an acquisition than you have to."- Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #3

Post subject: Re: Another Social Security Scam
PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 5:07 pm 

Yep, a lot of scammers out there. Unidentified callers always get a NO ANSWER. If it is important they can leave a message. Scammers and sales calls never leave a message.

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 7:57 pm 

Maybe we could get back to the functionality of the traditional answering machine:
Turn of the ringers and don't answer the phone
If someone leaves a message, you can
---pick up as soon as you recognize a friendly caller
---discard the scam messages
---etc.
IOW--Don't answer the phone

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 8:03 pm 

I don't answer unknown callers, niether cell or landline. And Nomorobo on that.
RW

"Never pay more for an acquisition than you have to."- Ferengi Rules of Acquisition #3

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 9:47 pm 

Not answering unknown callers is all well and good, but when they call from your home area code (or spoof those numbers), it's tough to ignore. Especially in the case of my business... it could be a contractor calling

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 10:37 pm 

https://www.foxbusiness.com/personal-fi ... scam-signs

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 10:57 pm 

I got the same call, but I pushed the button to speak to someone. He asked me for my name "to see who called me". I tried to sound like an old man and gave him my dogs name with a bogus last name. In just a few seconds he hung up on me. I have been answering the calls to lower my credit card interest (if I am right by the phone and in the mood) and pushing the button to talk to a real person. I keep them on the line as long as I can just to mess with them. However lately when I push the button to get a live person, they start the pitch and hang up. I assume their computer tells them not to waste time talking to me, or si I guess. I may need to find a new pass time.

PostPosted: May Wed 15, 2019 10:57 pm 

Barry H Bennett wrote:
Not answering unknown callers is all well and good, but when they call from your home area code (or spoof those numbers), it's tough to ignore. Especially in the case of my business... it could be a contractor calling

Set up your phone to go straight to an answering machine on the first ring. As soon as you hear a voice you recognize, pick up.

BUT---what about the old idea of having a phone that requires one more digit to be dialed before it will ring? Give that extra digit only to a select few

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 12:11 am 

Barry H Bennett wrote:

When I had my land line, my recorded message said something to the effect of "Due to the high volume of illegitimate phone calls being reveived on this line, all calls are now directly routed to voice mail. Please leave your name, phone number, and reason for your call......etc." If they truly need to reach you, they'll leave a message, and setting it up this way is becoming common practice in a lot of businesses.

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 2:08 pm 

My answering machine has a feature that could be useful. After it answere, the caller can dial a 3 digit number and the answering machine starts beeping for 30 seconds. If I do not pick up the phone, the outgoing message starts again and it takes a message. My outgoing message could even say to dial the 3 digits and I will answer if possible. This might defet the machines that call. I have never used this feature, but have thought about it.

PostPosted: May Thu 16, 2019 6:58 pm 

Barry...I know what you mean. And most of those are "This is Rachel from card member services." And every one was from my area code and the first three digits of my cell. Haven't had any for a few weeks. And the people we deal with most times on our phone we recognize, and are also on our "approved" caller list. Anything else I let got to voicemail. My Hiya blocker has blocked legit businesses and just plain people. Their voice mail helps me with unblocking and returning their call.
RW