Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sun 16, 2019 11:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WA7BKG (sk) at age 16
PostPosted: Jun Sun 17, 2018 11:00 pm 

Just a little trivia. Old magazines are my bedtime reading. Just finished November, 1965 Popular Electronics. Their Amateur Station of the Month was Garry Shandling at age 16. Easily recognizable as the well-known comedian who passed in 2006. <Edit: 2016. Oops!>

I wonder if his HAM experiences helped lead him to his career and if he kept up his radio activities later on? Just thought it interesting, as (due to his later fame) he's one of the very few people I've recognized out of the many who were pictured in PE over the years.
-Ed

Attachments:
WA7BKG.jpg
WA7BKG.jpg [ 82.82 KiB | Viewed 478 times ]

Last edited by Ed in SoDak on Jun Sun 17, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: WA7BKG (sk) at age 16
PostPosted: Jun Sun 17, 2018 11:10 pm 

Garry passed in 2016

PostPosted: Jun Mon 18, 2018 1:42 am 

What's interesting is that you found something like, from before he was famous. He had to be a ham, become famous, and send in his photo when young for it to work out.

For most people, their "fame" was getting a thing like that into the magazine. We at home would look at it, probably drool over the equipment (that's a pretty good station for the time and us age) and the person wouldn't leave much impression. Only when someone has later success does it become something more.

Or maybe the reason we know he was a ham was because someone saw this and took note.

After he was famous, I did notice something in Popular Electronics in the early sixties sent in by Steve Wozniak, I think it was an ongoing feature (though brief) titled "Just when I forgot my Soldering Iron".

Clifford Stoll (of "Cuckoo's Egg" that book about tracking someone who broke into a computer) had a letter in QST in 1970, I saw it once much later but have yet to find it again.

Michael

PostPosted: Jun Mon 18, 2018 1:52 am 

http://www.arrl.org/news/comedian-actor ... x-kd6oy-sk

PostPosted: May Fri 17, 2019 10:29 am 

I just finished watching the documentary, "The Zen Diaries of Garry Shandling", a DVD set I checked out from my local Seattle Public Library. This was a huge undertaking, as the total time for this doc is 4.5 hours, and I assume this does not include the time for all the extra material.

This was a fascinating film, and there were numerous references to his teenaged ham radio activity as WA7BNM.