Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives :: Books
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Jun Sat 15, 2019 9:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Sears has closed all their Parts and Repair Centers
PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 3:31 pm 

I needed a wiring diagram for GF's Kenmore electric dryer. In the past, i would go down to the local Sears Parts and Repair center and they would print out a diagram. Found out Sears closed ALL their parts and Repair Centers. So I tried Sears Direct, they cannot supply even though I have the part number for the diagram which is W10186035. No longer available they said.
So I tried Whirlpool no longer available either.
Usually the diagram is stuck in the top panel from the factory. So i can try there.
I would like to have a diagram for when I need it and not going crazy trying to figure out where to get one.
Yes i do not absolutely need it as it should be real similar to the diagrams I do have.
One more reason not to buy Sears...

Yes i did locate a source for the diagram but the site membership cost is $172 a year!

Post subject: Re: Sears has closed all their Parts and Repair Centers
PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 3:54 pm 

W10186035 Rev: F (one-page pdf).
https://www.applianceblog.com/mainforum ... post293922

Greg.

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 3:57 pm 

I stopped buying anything from Sears at least twenty years ago when I bought a metal Arrow shed to store outdoor stuff and some of the hardware was missing. I went back to Sears and they told me, in effect, to go pound sand.
Before that, though, I had a Sears L.P. gas grille From new the regulator didn't work right. I went to sears and they told me to contact some overseas outfit that I no longer recall who or what it was. But they sure has heck weren't about to help me get a proper part. So I scrapped the grille and bought one from Fleet Farm that worked well until it finally rusted out last year.
Sears? I've disliked it from way back into the '60s for all sorts of reasons.

Mark D.

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 4:33 pm 

At this point, I think I will refuse to even go into a Sears store. I believe the management is committed only to milking it dry.

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 4:55 pm 

Dear egg
I thank you from the bottom of my heart for the diagram

Now i can get right into repairing the dryer in case if it breaks
Now my dryer went on the fritz
So I went down to the local parts house and there have THREE locations in the Houston area
NOT IN STOCK grrrr
So Ebay was it

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 6:50 pm 

I've stopped shopping at sears especially since they have gone bankrupt and are closing all their stores. I sorta worked that out on my own.

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 6:50 pm 

Greg is the documentation Man!
He has generously helped me, and countless others, find service data more times than I can count.

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 7:32 pm 

Now would be a good time to determine the actual manufacturers and their model and then part numbers for the items sears carried. There are a number of good resources for aftermarket parts for many makes and models.

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 8:26 pm 

processhead wrote:
Greg is the documentation Man!
He has generously helped me, and countless others, find service data more times than I can count.

+1

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 8:55 pm 

19&41 wrote:
Now would be a good time to determine the actual manufacturers and their model and then part numbers for the items sears carried. There are a number of good resources for aftermarket parts for many makes and models.

Everything Sears sold was built under contract by major manufacturers, but they were purposely built to Sears specs so that customers could not directly compare Sears products to the brand name ones sold at other retailers. Because of that, there is very rarely an exact match from a Sears appliance to a model sold by the manufacturer under their own brand name.

However, many individual parts were used in multiple models and therefore you can frequently find something that will be interchangeable. Often there are part numbers stamped right on the major parts like motors, timers, and so on and those can be looked up by an appliance parts supplier.

You can easily identify the manufacturer of all Sears products by using the source code, which is the first three digits in front of the period in the model number. 116 is Whirlpool for refrigerators, while 110 is Whirlpool for laundry. There are online lists breaking down all the popular Sears source codes to show the name of the manufacturer that Sears contracted to build the item to their specifications.

What's becoming more and more evident in recent years is that all of the appliance manufacturers are no longer interested in providing repair part support indefinitely like they used to. Whirlpool is still among the best for getting parts for older appliances, but nothing like they were 20 years ago. Once you know the correct current part number, your best source is often online and eBay is a good place to start as there are many appliance parts dealers selling on eBay.

Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting.

PostPosted: May Thu 09, 2019 9:18 pm 

I've got tons of pre-1996 Sears electronic and non-electronic product service data, ALL on MICROFICHE.

No real index, so a pain to search, but helpful enough to retain.

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2019 1:57 pm 

Instrument Fixer wrote:
... Found out Sears closed ALL their parts and Repair Centers...

The one in Richmond, VA is still open, I just checked.

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2019 2:19 pm 

radioterry wrote:
Instrument Fixer wrote:
... Found out Sears closed ALL their parts and Repair Centers...

The one in Richmond, VA is still open, I just checked.

There's conflicting info on the Sears website about this.

I checked the online Sears locations page and it shows our local ones open also, but it is wrong. They were indeed closed up here. https://www.searshomeservices.com/locations

This other Sears page indicates they closed them. https://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-r ... tores.html

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2019 3:04 pm 

It's been my experience that if I search a Sears model number on the internet, I usually can find a free service PDF on the model.

"It's always darkest before it's pitch black"

PostPosted: May Fri 10, 2019 3:24 pm 

A A Kent wrote:
It's been my experience that if I search a Sears model number on the internet, I usually can find a free service PDF on the model.

Mine too, Pete. And every time I needed a part for something like my Kenmore washer or dryer, the parts are available cheapest on ebay. I've never had to buy directly from the Sears parts centers.

PostPosted: May Sat 11, 2019 3:34 pm 

I've got a love-hate relationship with Sears.

Historically they have been nothing short of EXCELLENT when it comes to parts/literature support for their products. Buy a lawn mower and the wheel falls off, they have full service literature and will be happy to order a wheel for you to replace it.

Their actual service has not been nearly as great. If your refrigerator breaks down, they can get service there maybe Thursday of next week. Anyone else can be there in an hour. If you can take the product there, good luck -- sometimes they fix it, sometimes the item magically disappears and you have to buy a new one because the other can't be fixed.

Overall, over the years, I've really liked Sears for most things, the exceptions being appliance repair and auto repair -- and DON'T EVER buy their tires. They're going downhill fast, and it's really a shame to see this happen -- they're an American icon. I find it a bit ironic that they began with catalogs, they had the BEST catalogs, and yet it was an electronic catalog (e-commerce) that seems to have done them in.

PostPosted: May Sat 11, 2019 6:47 pm 

Gary Tayman wrote:
I've got a love-hate relationship with Sears.

-- they're an American icon.

No, they were an American icon; now it's Walmart and Amazon.

PostPosted: May Sat 11, 2019 10:37 pm 

The battery on my truck has been acting up and I knew I needed a new one. Three days ago I barely got it started. I've gotten my batteries from Sears for the past 30 years. I drove down to Sears, left the truck running, and walked through the service bay area. Only 1 person working there and he was on the side that does battery changes. There are about 7 bays there and all were empty. No roll around tool bins at all. I guess they only do tires and batteries now. One girl in the parts area. She had me out of there in 15 minutes and said she hadn't charge me for the core charge. To drop it off after I replace it. I went looking for her when I dropped off the bad one. I told her this was the most pleasant experience I have had at Sears in a very very long time. Her smile could melt an ice cream cone in the winter.
This will probably be the last time I'll be in Sears. I loved Sears.

Freeman

PostPosted: May Sat 11, 2019 11:00 pm 

I still have the service manuals (copyright 1971) that my mom used to repair the Sears Kenmore washer and dryer we had for years. With a family of 6, the appliances got a lot of use and as my dad got laid-off during the cutbacks in the 1960's in the aerospace industry, we had to make due with what we had.

PostPosted: May Sun 12, 2019 6:12 am 

My fancy GE range threw an error code, beeped a bunch, then shut down the other night after fricasseeing a batch of baked potatos, the oven was way over temp. I bought it from Sears. I got that sinking feeling that both GE and Sears are going out of business and I'll be an orphan with my fancy error code oven. I see I was wrong about GE for the time being, and am really bummed about Sears parts/service going under. Jail is too good for the Vultures who took Sears over.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 37 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next