Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Dec Fri 13, 2019 11:44 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: *** June Finds & Losses ***
PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 11:54 am 

Art Hoch wrote:
I've tried several editors and I guess I'm brain dead. I cant figure out how to decrease the picture size so I just give up, no more pictures.

Maybe if I say it enough times, it will be accepted!? :lol:
Thumbs Plus is free and simple to use. I like Version 7.[/quote]

I use Windows paint.

Just open the picture in it, click on resize, click pixels and the larger number change to 800. Your picture is then the proper size.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 3:25 pm 

OldRestorer wrote:
6 months ago I found a really nice bench at a tag sale. I bought it and put it aside to restore in the spring. I ended up selling it about 3 months later when I needed the room. This part kills me... about a week later I found an Atwater Kent 37 Modernistic radio and speaker. While googling it I found a photo of it on a stand with a bench. MY BENCH! The bench I just sold was to this set. I tried to buy it back but he was not willing to sell it back to me. Today a miracle happened. No, I did not get the bench.... BUT I did get the stand from a local antique place!!!!
I saw it in the corner under some other stuff at a friends shop. I was astatic to say the least and had to google it to make sure it was the right one. It has been painted but that will strip off and it will get a proper repaint. I wrote to the bench guy one more time so wish me luck... I also found this GE portable model JB? at a flea market. They had a beautiful GE L-915 console but I passed.. Even at $50.00 I just don't have room.

Here are some photos:

Attachment:
0.png

That Atwater Kent is amazing. What year is that from?

PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 5:09 pm 

Quote:
Also picked up a TV-2/U tester.

We've had a few of these pass through our museum. Believe it or not they don't have as much value as the smaller TV-7. The only reason we can think of as to why is that it takes forever to setup a test on TV-2 testers and so many probably view using them as more of a hassle. But no doubt- excellent machines!

PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 6:40 pm 

judge wrote:
OldRestorer wrote:
6 months ago I found a really nice bench at a tag sale. I bought it and put it aside to restore in the spring. I ended up selling it about 3 months later when I needed the room. This part kills me... about a week later I found an Atwater Kent 37 Modernistic radio and speaker. While googling it I found a photo of it on a stand with a bench. MY BENCH! The bench I just sold was to this set. I tried to buy it back but he was not willing to sell it back to me. Today a miracle happened. No, I did not get the bench.... BUT I did get the stand from a local antique place!!!!
I saw it in the corner under some other stuff at a friends shop. I was astatic to say the least and had to google it to make sure it was the right one. It has been painted but that will strip off and it will get a proper repaint. I wrote to the bench guy one more time so wish me luck... I also found this GE portable model JB? at a flea market. They had a beautiful GE L-915 console but I passed.. Even at $50.00 I just don't have room.

Here are some photos:

Attachment:
0.png

That Atwater Kent is amazing. What year is that from?

The AK 37 Modernistic is said to be made in 1928. I am ecstatic about the find. The bench loss is killing me though... I just need to be happy for the stand find though.. It was a miracle it found me...

PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 9:16 pm 

I found that by opening up a picture that I have saved in a separate folder, then right clicking on it I get the option to resize it. Thats what I am using.

"AC volts and DC volts and little lamps and lities..."

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 3:15 am 

Okay this is a bit off-subject, but......I went to a sale for a Heathkit EA2 amp and came home with a midget metal lathe. I didn't arrive until the second day. First day they wanted $25 for it and had no takers so second day they had marked it down to a total of $10 which I couldn't get out of my wallet fast enough. Sale was on the south-side of Chicago which I can only assume must have scared people away. I'm sure I can find a radio around here that needs something turned. Or maybe use it as a coil winder? Or maybe just admire it as it sits on a shelf in my bookcase? I posted it at the old wood working (and metal working) machinery site and so far it remains unidentified so it must be rather rare. Unfortunately the po is deceased. I'm sure he turned over a couple times given what it went for.

http://www.indoorphin.com/old_lathe/

Attachments:
blkbrn_01_mini.jpg
blkbrn_01_mini.jpg [ 173.41 KiB | Viewed 1255 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 4:41 am 

matt's basement wrote:
Okay this is a bit off-subject, but......I went to a sale for a Heathkit EA2 amp and came home with a midget metal lathe. I didn't arrive until the second day. First day they wanted $25 for it and had no takers so second day they had marked it down to a total of $10 which I couldn't get out of my wallet fast enough. Sale was on the south-side of Chicago which I can only assume must have scared people away. I'm sure I can find a radio around here that needs something turned. Or maybe use it as a coil winder? Or maybe just admire it as it sits on a shelf in my bookcase? I posted it at the old wood working (and metal working) machinery site and so far it remains unidentified so it must be rather rare. Unfortunately the po is deceased. I'm sure he turned over a couple times given what it went for.

That's cool!

Todd

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 5:48 am 

I felt so guilty paying so little for the lathe I bought a bunch of other stuff and by the time I left I had spent almost 2 bills. I did get the EA2 and an assortment of 2000-era speaker drivers. 4 Vifa tweeters, 2 special Seas tweeters and a pair of Dynaudio woofers. In researching the drivers, I discovered the Dynaudio and Seas drivers were oe on the Canadian made Totem Model 1 speaker. The Seas tweeters have a plastic cylinder glued on the back apparently to lower resonate freq and modified by Solen for Totem. I wonder if they are defects or something? How did a set of drivers for a Canadian speaker company find their way to an elderly guys house in Chicago? The Dynaudio woofers are model 15w-75 4ohm and are only about 125mm diameter, but have relatively huge 75mm voice coils. Haven't had time to test any of it, but thought it was odd they were at the sale. Never know what you might find at some of these things.

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 8:22 pm 

My day has been great for finds...

50 radios for $150.00!
Not...
But The guy for the bench did write to me and say he would trade me the bench back for a Stromberg wall phone I was selling.
He had it upholstered and it looks fantastic but red will not do unfortunately.

Here is the bench back in my possession... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Now I have the radio, bench, and stand. I will have to strip and repaint the stand and bench but I am very happy now.

Attachments:
IMG_0309.jpg
IMG_0309.jpg [ 262.18 KiB | Viewed 1179 times ]
IMG_0310.jpg
IMG_0310.jpg [ 302.88 KiB | Viewed 1179 times ]
IMG_0311.jpg
IMG_0311.jpg [ 247.59 KiB | Viewed 1179 times ]
33.jpg
33.jpg [ 322.82 KiB | Viewed 1179 times ]
35.jpg
35.jpg [ 394.97 KiB | Viewed 1179 times ]
0.png
0.png [ 191.23 KiB | Viewed 1179 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 11:28 pm 

Kirk,
Sounds like you’re getting some of those good Karma points redeemed!!

You can always dye the cushion on that.
Steve

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 12:15 am 

Wow, congratulations Kirk! That indeed is great Karma!

Are you planning to reupholster with a velvet cloth as in the photo you found?

-Steve

-Pre-War FM
Consoles and floor models, the bigger, the better!

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 2:17 am 

Thanks guys,
I am planning on doing the bench properly. I feel bad undoing the leatherwork but I could always cut a new board and make a second seat. I bought leather paint to see if it will look ok just painted but I think it will be something I cant live with.. It needs the mohair seat fabric...

:)

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 10:08 pm 

Jim Dutridge wrote:
I think I figured out the resizing so here goes. First is the Continental with the hidden antenna. Then next is the Sparton with battery eliminator.

Guess they still need work.

Questions, are these the correct knobs for the Sparton and does anyone know the correct knobs for the Continental?

"AC volts and DC volts and little lamps and lities..."

PostPosted: Jun Wed 12, 2019 11:34 pm 

I like that Zenith 6D029; it's been on my want list for quite a while.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 12:56 am 

Tim Tress wrote:
I like that Zenith 6D029; it's been on my want list for quite a while.

Hi Tim- PM sent.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 8:35 am 

matt's basement wrote:

That looks like a jewelers lathe.

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 5:32 pm 

Just got this Radiola RS. It is in such nice condition I was wondering if it was a fake. Looks real to me.
The WD 11 tubes show 2.7 ohms on the filaments (good). The transformer measures 1k primary and 14k secondary, seems good to me.
Amazing condition, maybe refinished?
Jeff
Attachment:
DSC03663.JPG
DSC03663.JPG [ 274.37 KiB | Viewed 946 times ]

Attachment:
DSC03664.JPG
DSC03664.JPG [ 322.36 KiB | Viewed 946 times ]

Attachment:
DSC03666.JPG
DSC03666.JPG [ 249.09 KiB | Viewed 946 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 9:16 pm 

Only finds for me this month!
Versatile ventures $1
Innervisions Stevie Wonder $1
Especially for you Duane Eddy. <$4
The "Twangs" the "Thang" Duane Eddy <$4
All in good condition no skips! Really good playback on my turntable :)
-John

PostPosted: Jun Thu 13, 2019 10:48 pm 

Hammarlund HQ-140X chassis "for parts only", $25. Missing the cabinet and the shield over the tuning cap, but it looks unmolested. 3 IF stages!
Attachment:
HQ1.jpg
HQ1.jpg [ 135.02 KiB | Viewed 912 times ]

Attachment:
HQ2.jpg
HQ2.jpg [ 188.38 KiB | Viewed 912 times ]

Two Peavey 75 watt Industrial Power amplifiers:
Attachment:
IPA 75T.jpg
IPA 75T.jpg [ 181.45 KiB | Viewed 912 times ]

Industrial light dimmer. 6 channels, each with a 10 amp breaker. No line cord, just a big clamp on the back so it can be wired in.
Attachment:
Light dimmer.jpg
Light dimmer.jpg [ 198.17 KiB | Viewed 912 times ]

Power supply assemblies. Three of them contain two Toshiba power transistors rated at 200A 600V:
Attachment:
Heat sinks sm.jpg
Heat sinks sm.jpg [ 177.07 KiB | Viewed 912 times ]

Crown mixer/preamps, 4 channel and 8 channel:
Attachment:
Crown preamps.jpg
Crown preamps.jpg [ 126.98 KiB | Viewed 912 times ]

Also a couple Peavey 1KW audio amps (both real basket cases), a Motorola S1053 AC meter and a small Hameg 2 channel scope.

Bob

Attachments:
IPA 75T.jpg
IPA 75T.jpg [ 181.45 KiB | Viewed 912 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 2:25 am 

Our radio club had a great give away Saturday. A widow wanted to get rid of her husband's pile of radios. You paid $5 to get your name in a random pool that put you in a line to pick out radios from certain groupings. They were all table tops and included more than 50 Zenith TO 3000s, 18 tubs of tubes, dozens of transistors, dozens of parts/unknown condition sets. There were some I would call "A" list or top shelf. I was #25 in, so most of the good stuff was gone. I did get 3 TO 3000-1, 2 are very good, one for parts. The little Zenith bakelite is the 4K616, in excellent shape. Still, a good haul for $5. There are a few more not pictured. The Emerson case is empty (rats).

Attachments:
free_1.JPG
free_1.JPG [ 156.64 KiB | Viewed 881 times ]
free_2.JPG
free_2.JPG [ 163 KiB | Viewed 881 times ]
free_3.JPG
free_3.JPG [ 184.61 KiB | Viewed 881 times ]
free_4.JPG
free_4.JPG [ 159.53 KiB | Viewed 881 times ]
free_5.JPG
free_5.JPG [ 160.94 KiB | Viewed 881 times ]
free_7.JPG
free_7.JPG [ 110.74 KiB | Viewed 881 times ]

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 162 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next