Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Feb Thu 27, 2020 5:33 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: WBCQ
PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 1:06 pm 

Anyone ever listen to them? I had the old Hallicrafters turned on in here last night and they were blasting in on 9.33. They were complaining about a new transmitter issue. Apparently they have a 500KW job and it uses one gigantic tube. Water cooled. Well apparently the water line into the tube leaked and water shorted out and fried the tube socket. And I guess they probably will have to have the socket rebuilt. Really have to tear apart the transmitter to get it done. Now a 500KW rig would be cool but I might be afraid to get near the thing.

Post subject: Re: WBCQ
PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 1:39 pm 

The monthly electric bill may see an impact :shock:

PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 3:27 pm 

Their website accepts donations. I think any amount I could give them would cover their electric bill for less than a second. I was tuned slightly above them and had a really really loud signal that was supposedly from Czech republic. I listened to their program for a bit and when they signed off found out that the broadcast was really from Florida. I would not want to live anywhere near a 500 KW signal. Maybe at least 30-50 miles away. Although I will admit that I worked on the bench on some Bendix radars that were sometimes kicking 90 KW peak.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 4:42 pm 

Ballpark cost at 10c per kWh assuming 24/7 operation and assuming 100% efficiency
500kw x $0.1 = $50/hr x 24hs x30 days = $36,000 per month :shock:

PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 5:09 pm 

Quote:
I listened to their program for a bit and when they signed off found out that the broadcast was really from Florida. I would not want to live anywhere near a 500 KW signal. Maybe at least 30-50 miles away
I am confused (happens a lot at my age). When I looked up WBCQ it showed the following:
Nothing about Florida, nothing about 500Kw ?
Quote:
Welcome to WBCQ
WBCQ is an international shortwave broadcast station located in Monticello, Maine, USA. We broadcast on 7.490 MHz, 9.330 MHz, 5.130 MHz, and 3.265 MHz. We’ve been bringing access to the airwaves for people like you since 1998.
We have time available on all of our broadcast services open for your programming at the best rates in the industry. Contact us for more information.

Attachments:
rsz_wbcq.png
rsz_wbcq.png [ 138.59 KiB | Viewed 1258 times ]

PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 6:08 pm 

Been listing to them for years. A fun mix of shows that change every once in a while.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 6:59 pm 

The 500kW transmitter is in Maine

http://www.wbcq.com/

"Plymouth Meeting, PA: WBCQ The Planet announced today that it is building one of the most powerful and versatile radio stations in the world. WBCQ’s new shortwave radio station, now under construction in Monticello, Maine, features a new 500-kilowatt transmitter from Continental Electronics and a state-of-the-art antenna system from Ampegon Antenna of Switzerland.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 7:50 pm 

wazz wrote:
Anyone ever listen to them? I had the old Hallicrafters turned on in here last night and they were blasting in on 9.33. They were complaining about a new transmitter issue. Apparently they have a 500KW job and it uses one gigantic tube. Water cooled. Well apparently the water line into the tube leaked and water shorted out and fried the tube socket. And I guess they probably will have to have the socket rebuilt. Really have to tear apart the transmitter to get it done. Now a 500KW rig would be cool but I might be afraid to get near the thing.

Been listening to them since the 1990's.

"Marian's Attic" was a cool vintage record/wax,cylinder show!

PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 10:49 pm 

Quote:
Monticello, Maine, features a new 500-kilowatt transmitter
I thought the maximum power of commercial am radio was 50Kw ?? Or are they describing the effective radiation of 500Kw due to a high gain ant but the transmitter power is 50Kw ???.

PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 10:55 pm 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
Quote:
I thought the maximum power of commercial am radio was 50Kw ?? Or are they describing the effective radiation of 500Kw due to a high gain ant but the transmitter power is 50Kw ???.

Not sure if the a.m. rules apply to a s.w. station?

PostPosted: Jun Sat 29, 2019 11:15 pm 

No, WBCQ is NOT in FLA. I was listening to a station in Fla., just above WBCQ and found that was the source of the Czech programming. Then I tuned in WBCQ a bit lower when the program ended to hear them discussing their monster station. I would be nervous living within a short distance as except for the fact it is 500 kaydub on SW instead of MW, we have all heard about the side effects of living near WLW down here when it was pushing out the half meg.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 30, 2019 12:42 am 

You might have been listening to an older show. Here’s a link to an article on their transmitter troubles,

https://swling.com/blog/2017/12/wbcq-se ... ansmitter/

PostPosted: Jun Sun 30, 2019 12:48 am 

No that shows an old Gates. This was current trouble they were having with the new Continental transmitter. There was not a fire, they said the Kapton insulation in their socket was arced and damaged by the water flow across the kilovolts to the screen grid. They said they would have to have a difficult task of removing the gigantus tube, removing the socket and having it rebuilt. Sockets for such gigantus tubes must be probably about a custom part. Well that is one place that transistors will not be taking over anytime soon. I guess you could get a jillion lower power solid state amps and have a world's record sized power combiner.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 30, 2019 6:51 am 

Greetings to wazz and the Forum:

The current crop of MF and HF high power solid state transmitters use a direct digital synthesis technique. They don't have RF amplifiers per see... they have high power switches and low pass filters.

Regards,

PostPosted: Jun Sun 30, 2019 1:58 pm 

Allan and Angela winter in Florida and do their show remotely from there on Friday nights at 8 PM. They are in Maine now and do the show form there. They also operate 50 KW on 7490, 5130 and sometimes on 3265. They do not operate 24/7 at this time. I think they sign on around 4 PM EST and off at midnight. The electric bill is still HUGE!!! 73 Ross W1EKG

PostPosted: Jun Sun 30, 2019 2:54 pm 

I been listening to them the last 3 nites on the 392!!! Turned on the SDR on the computer last nite listeing to them for a while. SOunds like a cool station! PLaying all kinds of crazy music. Really like it!

Todd

Post subject: WBCQ Monticello, ME
PostPosted: Jul Tue 02, 2019 5:53 am 

According to the gossip...

Quote:
Allan Weiner stated in an interview that the ERP of the new array as 20 MegaWatts. If you don't know of Allan Weiner's radio biography, look it up ... it is quite interesting.

Now another part of the article in Shortwave News says that they are using a new 500kW transmitter and a high gain directional antenna. There's pix of the Swiss antenna too. They put in a huge signal for me on 9330kHz in my evening when it's nighttime in Maine but even so, 20MW EIRP from 500kW input? You can have good coverage all over the USofA and further with a transmitter in Maine and a 90 degree beamwidth - that might give you an ERP of four times the input, the equivalent of 2MW - perhaps a misquote or misprint - whatever. I know it's a massive signal but 20MW? Even the European Longwave transmitters top out at 2MW. Would you care to stand in front of the antenna - not me - I've had RF burns before and they take a while to heal! 20dB over S9 at 1700local/0500UTC on two well-calibrated receivers and -53dBm on my HP 3586A!

The antenna is vaguely reminiscent of the Russian OTHR antenna...

Attachment:
wbcq-superstation-antenna-14-september-2018.jpg
wbcq-superstation-antenna-14-september-2018.jpg [ 160.33 KiB | Viewed 992 times ]

Post subject: Re: WBCQ Monticello, ME
PostPosted: Jul Tue 02, 2019 11:32 am 

My antenna for this radio in here right now is a spool of plastic hookup wire strung willy nilly over/behind furnishing but may only be 10 feet exposed. They are always there on the old Hallicrafters at night. I don't try to get them earlier in the day. No S meter on this radio but they either sound like a fairly strong MW BC or some fading of sidebands with the odd phase shifty sound that accompanies that. I should try to get them on my replica SW regen radio as a comparison.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 02, 2019 2:10 pm 

pauls.ironhorse wrote:
Quote:

This is probably old and out-of-date information but I used to work for a broadcast engineering consultant
and we did commercial AM, FM and SW construction permits/licenses/feasibility studies. At that time (1970/1980s) the maximum for a US AM was 50 KW but the MINIMUM for a US-licensed shortwave station was 50 KW RF output.

Alan Weiner is a remarkable individual with a fascinating past even prior to WBCQ. He should one
day be in the Broadcasting Hall of Fame. His spirit and creativity is extraordinary (and, other than some
of the programs he airs for the necessity of being able to pay the bills,) WBCQ is a frequent stop on my Hallicrafters dial.

PostPosted: Jul Tue 02, 2019 2:38 pm 

Quote:
At that time (1970/1980s)…...the MINIMUM for a US-licensed shortwave station was 50 KW RF output.
I believe that is correct. I also recall that US shortwave stations were not supposed to broadcast programs intended for domestic (USA) listeners. The construction permit application had to propose the foreign countries or areas of the world to which the signal would be directed. This was to limit competition with domestic AM and FM stations. Of course, today, the lines seem very blurry about this programming stipulation.

Here is an FCC fact sheet about how to apply for a shortwave broadcast station:

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/gu ... ng-station

Dave

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 21 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page 1, 2  Next