Forums :: Resources :: Features :: Photo Gallery :: Vintage Radio Shows :: Archives
Support This Site: Contributors :: Advertise

It is currently Oct Mon 14, 2019 1:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Last Episode of Star Trek - 50 years ago today.
PostPosted: Jun Mon 10, 2019 5:01 am 

BakeliteManCA wrote:
Gene Roddenberry managed to cajole some of the top science fiction novelists of the 60s into writing scripts for TOS. Then he told them that they could write whatever they wanted, and he would argue with the censors and execs. The result was a lot of scripts that seem farsighted today but that were likely considered downright weird/creepy back in the late 60s....
You have a strange view of what was "weird/creepy back in the late 60s."

Patterns of Force, that you claim service men would have cringed at, condemned NAZIs in no uncertain terms and, as Kirk emphatically stated, "it was brutal, perverted, had to be destroyed at a terrible cost." IMO, service men would more likely have said "darn right!"

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 4:50 am 

Mike C. wrote:
tbone8 wrote:
I read somewherez once that the series was considered to be bought by another network but the filming set got destroyed due to the cancellation. The cost to rebuild the set put the kibosh on the sale... :(

I believe you're actually talking about the 1960's tv series "Batman".Another network wanted to pick up the series,but when they found out that the very expensive bat cave set had already been destroyed,they changed their minds.

You might be right, memory ain't so good anymore. On a sidebar, the retouched episodes that are on now rub me. I liked the original effects. Next thing you know, they will do that to Star Wars... :wink:

PostPosted: Jun Tue 11, 2019 4:20 pm 

Flipperhome wrote:
BakeliteManCA wrote:
Gene Roddenberry managed to cajole some of the
top science fiction novelists of the 60s into writing scripts for TOS. Then he told them that they could
write whatever they wanted, and he would argue with the censors and execs. The result was a lot of
scripts that seem farsighted today but that were likely considered downright weird/creepy back in
the late 60s....

Patterns of Force, that you claim service men would have cringed at, condemned NAZIs in
no uncertain terms and, as Kirk emphatically stated, "it was brutal, perverted, had to be destroyed
at a terrible cost." IMO, service men would more likely have said "darn right!"

One of my favorites! 8)
Attachment:
250px-Star_Trek_Patterns_of_Force.JPG
250px-Star_Trek_Patterns_of_Force.JPG [ 59.74 KiB | Viewed 218 times ]

Interesting to note:
"Because the episode contains Nazi uniforms and insignia, and features a character who makes the
statement that Nazi Germany was the "most efficient society" ever created, it was considered unfit
for entertainment in Germany. Consequently, this episode is the only one which was not aired during
either of the two original runs in Germany (on the public ZDF network in the mid-1970s and on the
private Sat.1 network in the late 1980s/early 1990s). It was only dubbed into German in 1995, and
was presented in the original English with subtitles in all earlier German releases. It was finally shown
on German pay TV in 1996 and included on all DVD/Blu-ray season sets. On November 4, 2011 it was
finally shown on the public network channel ZDFneo as well."

PostPosted: Jun Fri 14, 2019 3:22 am 

RadioNut39 wrote:
Flipperhome wrote:

Patterns of Force, that you claim service men would have cringed at, condemned NAZIs in
no uncertain terms and, as Kirk emphatically stated, "it was brutal, perverted, had to be destroyed
at a terrible cost." IMO, service men would more likely have said "darn right!"

One of my favorites! 8)
Attachment:
250px-Star_Trek_Patterns_of_Force.JPG

Interesting to note:
"Because the episode contains Nazi uniforms and insignia, and features a character who makes the
statement that Nazi Germany was the "most efficient society" ever created, it was considered unfit
for entertainment in Germany. Consequently, this episode is the only one which was not aired during
either of the two original runs in Germany (on the public ZDF network in the mid-1970s and on the
private Sat.1 network in the late 1980s/early 1990s). It was only dubbed into German in 1995, and
was presented in the original English with subtitles in all earlier German releases. It was finally shown
on German pay TV in 1996 and included on all DVD/Blu-ray season sets. On November 4, 2011 it was
finally shown on the public network channel ZDFneo as well."
Quite right, at least as far as it goes, but one should note that's Germany and not the U.S. After WWII Germany was, shall we say, 'sensitive' to NAZI iconography for obvious reasons. If I'm not mistaken, even today it's 'illegal' to be a 'holocaust denier' whereas in the U.S. you can be as dumb and ignorant as you like. Btw, Hogan's Heroes, a Star Trek contemporary, suffered the same fate.

That said, the complaint that someone said NAZI Germany was the "most efficient society ever created" is rather shallow as it misses the whole point of the episode which was, regardless of the perceived 'benefit' or 'appeal', even when one thinks they can run it benignly (as the person supposedly did), authoritarianism is fatally flawed. The particulars as to what's thought to be the 'benefit' is irrelevant. Pick any perceived benefit and the lesson would be the same. And, I might add, any claim like that for NAZIs would likely have elicited the same response from the German authorities, meaning it would be impossible to do a show with that warning.

As Kirk said "The problem with the Nazis wasn't simply that their leaders were evil, psychotic men. They were, but the main problem, I think, was the leader principle."

I'd have preferred he use "authoritarianism" instead of "leader principle" but, IMO, that's what he was getting at.

PostPosted: Jun Sun 16, 2019 7:40 am 

I think in the last year of filming the crew wore those v-neck shirts,and those funny pointed sideburns.

PostPosted: Jun Mon 17, 2019 4:27 am 

Zenith Royal wrote:
I think in the last year of filming the crew wore those v-neck shirts,and those funny pointed sideburns.
I'm curious as to what you mean because, as far as I can remember, they had the same uniform and hair style throughout the series. Perhaps you could post a photo showing the difference.

Post New Topic Post Reply  [ 26 posts ]  Moderator: Alan Voorhees Go to page Previous  1, 2